Time for the “You up?” Text to Mike Hopkins | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time for the “You up?” Text to Mike Hopkins

His father is currently in LA, but it's easier to get from Seattle to LA than it is from Syracuse.

Griff gets to see Mike coach every year he comes to play USC and UCLA, and the grandkids can spend time with Grandpa over the summer.

Imho, this undermines the closer to home argument or makes it way less persuasive. He gets paid multi-millions per year. Let him use the jet. Seattle to la isnt a short jaunt.

edit: just checked it out, seattle is 1200 from los angeles. Thats not that close to home.

Last edited:
Imho, this undermines the closer to home argument or makes it way less persuasive. He gets paid multi-millions per year. Let him use the jet. Seattle to la isnt a short jaunt.

edit: just checked it out, seattle is 1200 from los angeles. Thats not that close to home.
2.5 hour flight with tons of direct options versus 5.5 hour flight with no direct options.

2.5 hour flight with tons of direct options versus 5.5 hour flight with no direct options.

3 hrs of travel is not overly compelling. I live in brooklyn and drive 5 hrs to cuse to see my parents all the time. Just my two cents.

If I were Mike, I'd stay in Washington and build my own program and legacy. It may be possible he'll see the SU program fall into a below average type thing and feel the need to come back and put the program back where it once was but again, if it were me I'd stay out west.
He's a good man I hope the best for him whatever he decides.

If Mike came, would he keep JBs assistants? Do we believe ALL the player development issues are solely on JB? Would be curious if Hop would have the guts up clean house.

also, the P12 is a joke and Hop is already a god there. If he can win 18+games a year, mixed in with a P12 title and S16 run every 3 or 4 years he’ll write his ticket there

His wife is from Liverpool. This isnt Michael corleone packing his family to live in Vegas.
I know where she is from, and the question remains why would any sane person leave Seattle and come back to central New York? And I am from upstate New York as well.

I know where she is from, and the question remains why would any sane person leave Seattle and come back to central New York? And I am from upstate New York as well.

the obvious reason is because mike cares very deeply about syracuse and the basketball program. I get the argument that it would be difficult to leave seattle. I dont get calling leaving seattle insane. Thats way over the top based on the facts of what would go into the decision (wife is from here, lived here a long time, alma mater, big time program, etc)

If Mike came, would he keep JBs assistants? Do we believe ALL the player development issues are solely on JB? Would be curious if Hop would have the guts up clean house.

also, the P12 is a joke and Hop is already a god there. If he can win 18+games a year, mixed in with a P12 title and S16 run every 3 or 4 years he’ll write his ticket there
This is my question, and it comes from ignorance to this subject. I know the assistants are not as important as in football, but they do seem to be important in terms of recruiting.
This is an actual question I hope someone can answer: What role do assistants play in the success of a college basketball team during this day and age?

I like Hop. That said I think it's time for the school to move on from the JB tree. New eyes, energy, and system.

I've heard this a bunch, but if he's the best of what we can get we should totally do it. He's proven he's a great recruiter. That is what I want. We could bring in someone else and we wouldn't be sure of that.

I've heard this a bunch, but if he's the best of what we can get we should totally do it. He's proven he's a great recruiter. That is what I want. We could bring in someone else and we wouldn't be sure of that.
Agree but we don't know he's the best we can get.

Agree but we don't know he's the best we can get.

My biggest fear is hiring someone who appears to be really great and then have UNC/Duke steal him when K/Roy retire 2 years after.

I don’t know...maybe to coach one of the premier college basketball teams in the country. I’m sure you and Hop have the same variables in play making a decision like this.

I don’t know...maybe to coach one of the premier college basketball teams in the country. I’m sure you and Hop have the same variables in play making a decision like this.

You didn't hear? Syracuse is the worst place to live in the United States the way people talk around here.

This thread is funny for a lot of reasons and should be bumped in about 2 years
What is so amusing to you about the state of affairs?

[/QU
RE premier collage bb team, based on what has been posted lately you might get some differing opinions on that point. Look I understand everyone would love for Hop to return. I just think that ship has sailed, but we are all guessing on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom