Time for the “You up?” Text to Mike Hopkins | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Time for the “You up?” Text to Mike Hopkins

Also, when is the last time Boeheim brought a kid along from 3.5 to 8.5 to 15 ppg over a 3 year stretch. Player development is an important tool in any coaching arsenal.
I did a little digging through the old record books... and to find a kid who improved steadily from year 1 through year 3, I had to go all the way back to a guy named... Frank Howard. 1.6 ppg/1.8 apg/10.5 mpg as a freshman, 4.5 ppg/3.6 apg/16.2 mpg as a sophomore, 14.4 ppg/4.7 apg/38.4 mpg as a junior. Love him or hate him (and at times I was squarely in each camp), he improved significantly - and I will always believe that his pre-season injury was the biggest reason why last year was a disappointment.

Before Frank, I had to go all the way back to... Michael Gbinije. 1.7 ppg/0.2 apg/5.8 mpg as a freshman (at Duke, obviously), 3.4 ppg/1.2 apg/14.6 mpg as a redshirt sophomore, 12.7 ppg/3.6 apg/35.0 mpg as a junior, and finally a great senior year with 17.5 ppg/4.3 apg/37.9 mpg. There weren't many of us who watched him struggle during the 2013-14 season that thought that he would be the leading scorer on a Final Four team just 2 years later...

If you want to make the argument that we haven't developed frontcourt players the same way in recent years, that might be a valid criticism. But even if that's the case - who are you really referring to? Moyer? Chukwu? Dajuan? Tyler Roberson is probably the best recent example of a frontcourt player that didn't develop the way we all hoped. I guess if you want to pin that on Boeheim, you can - I don't know how you separate the blame (if that's even the right word) between the player and the coach, though.

I did a little digging through the old record books... and to find a kid who improved steadily from year 1 through year 3, I had to go all the way back to a guy named... Frank Howard. 1.6 ppg/1.8 apg/10.5 mpg as a freshman, 4.5 ppg/3.6 apg/16.2 mpg as a sophomore, 14.4 ppg/4.7 apg/38.4 mpg as a junior. Love him or hate him (and at times I was squarely in each camp), he improved significantly - and I will always believe that his pre-season injury was the biggest reason why last year was a disappointment.

Before Frank, I had to go all the way back to... Michael Gbinije. 1.7 ppg/0.2 apg/5.8 mpg as a freshman (at Duke, obviously), 3.4 ppg/1.2 apg/14.6 mpg as a redshirt sophomore, 12.7 ppg/3.6 apg/35.0 mpg as a junior, and finally a great senior year with 17.5 ppg/4.3 apg/37.9 mpg. There weren't many of us who watched him struggle during the 2013-14 season that thought that he would be the leading scorer on a Final Four team just 2 years later...

If you want to make the argument that we haven't developed frontcourt players the same way in recent years, that might be a valid criticism. But even if that's the case - who are you really referring to? Moyer? Chukwu? Dajuan? Tyler Roberson is probably the best recent example of a frontcourt player that didn't develop the way we all hoped. I guess if you want to pin that on Boeheim, you can - I don't know how you separate the blame (if that's even the right word) between the player and the coach, though.

You, with your facts and stats -
there’s no room for that nonsense in these h0+ ta3kz threads.

Good point on Frank Howard, he did show a lot progress especially between SO and JR years. Doesn’t change the fact that Hop’s player development across the board at UW has been very evident. You could easily make the argument that Gbinijie’s development was also heavily influenced by Hopkins, seeing as he basically ran the team on a day-to-day basis other than gameday.

Good point on Frank Howard, he did show a lot progress especially between SO and JR years. Doesn’t change the fact that Hop’s player development across the board at UW has been very evident. You could easily make the argument that Gbinijie’s development was also heavily influenced by Hopkins, seeing as he basically ran the team on a day-to-day basis other than gameday.
I'm sure Hopkins had a big part in Gbinije's development... I just don't think it's fair to question "when's the last time Boeheim developed a kid?" (with the clear insinuation being that SU hasn't developed kids in recent years, which is simply not true) - and then pivot to "well, the staff really deserves the credit".

I also think it's way too soon to have any real opinion on Hopkins' ability to develop kids over a 3-year stretch - because he's only in year 3. Nahz Carter certainly looks like he's come along nicely - but can you really say the same about Hameir Wright? 4.8 ppg and 4.3 rpg in 26.3 mpg thru 8 games of his junior year? Sidibe is putting up better numbers than that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom