Time to scrap the hurry-up spread... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Time to scrap the hurry-up spread...

and return to a Marrone's traditional "multiple" offense with Nassib being under center more and bringing back the fullback and the I-formation.

While Marcus Sales has played very well, imho, Jerome Smith has been SU's most consistent offensive player, much more consistent than 5th year senior Ryan Nassib, the supposed centerpiece of our offense. While Smith may not be flashy or very electric, he runs hard and he consistently gains yards between the tackles. He deserves 20 carries a game. AB deserves more touches, and PTG needs a reduced role: strictly a 3rd down back. There needs to be a little more AAM sprinkled in the regular offense as well.

While Kobena has shown some flashes the truth of the matter is that our roster is devoid of any big time offensive weapons. But our most talented offensive player is Ashton Broyld, another tailback, not quarterback Ryan Nassib. So the SU offense should be more run-oriented, centered around our most consistent and talented players, both tailbacks, and not a hurry-up, pass happy offense centered around a pretty good but ultimately mistake-prone Nassib.

If there isn't a better quarterback option on the bench than Nassib, then he's probably better served being more of a game manger like he was in 2010 and not the trigger man of a pass heavy spread option attack. In a more smash-mouth attack, he would excel in play action like he did when he had DC3 pounding it between the tackles from deep in the 'I.' That's also how Temple beat UConn today.

The bottom line is that the less reliant this offense is on the capable but painfully inconsistent Nassib, the better off it will be. With the way this defense is playing right now, a bowl is still not out of the question. This team can still win six games but, imho, DM and Hackett need to rely less on Nassib's erratic play and adopt a more tailback-oriented, play action attack if they wanna gain bowl eligibility.

The problem is not the offense in whole, but the red zone offense. They are putting up winning numbers, so why change that formula? The yards are not turning into points due to the red zone deficiencies and turnovers and poor play calling at the worst times.

It's maddening that they are so close, winning on O and D - but not winning games... but calling for a change back to last years offense sounds off.

I may be mistaken but I think against Rut the offense mostly ran out of a bunched up formation until the blocked FG. After SU fell behind in the 3rd quarter SU spread it out, and after SU went to the spread is when Nassib threw his 2 picks and lost the fumble. Again, I'm not sure if I'm accurate on this.

I also think in the first half out of the bunched up formation Nassib threw a dangerous pass over the middle that was very similar to his last pass of the game out of the spread which was on first down and was picked off. And if I'm wrong about that I know that on the final throw- his second pick- Jerome Smith was open in the short middle out of the backfield, and SU had plenty of time to dump the ball off in that situation. Frustrating, although I thought overall Nassib did a much better job throwing to the TEs and the RBs. His timing and rhythm looked better to me at times, or I should say until SU fell behind and his play was punctuated with erratic flashes.

Kobena was playing well and starting to assert himself and to be honest I thought Clark was too...I really hope that that Cornelius kid is really fast for next year.

I think the staff has decided to do what they are going to do offensive package wise and not wait like they have been doing since Nassib has been the qb. It gets all the offense on the same page from here on but I get what you're saying, do what you can package wise with the current talent you have.

I think Kobena back on Friday night adds a missing element to the offense. Just for S&G's I would like to see Sales, Kobena, West, Flemming, and Clark on the field at once. What? 5 wideouts? That is preposterous you say. Now that is a matchup issue for the puppies. No reason you can't have that and tank or even mini-tank in the same game.

I thought during the game there was a stretch where the no huddle was not helping at all because it was hurrying Ryan up when he needed to settle down. I'm not so sure a more methodical approach would have helped against Rutgers defense though.

Another issue is that Ryan checks off and audibles most of the time and the no huddle loses most of its advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom