Time to scrap the hurry-up spread... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time to scrap the hurry-up spread...

Just not a fan of the '3 yards and a cloud of dust' offense.

I would rather suck under the current system than suck under an outdated system that we used before unsuccessfully.

and return to a Marrone's traditional "multiple" offense with Nassib being under center more and bringing back the fullback and the I-formation.

While Marcus Sales has played very well, imho, Jerome Smith has been SU's most consistent offensive player, much more consistent than 5th year senior Ryan Nassib, the supposed centerpiece of our offense. While Smith may not be flashy or very electric, he runs hard and he consistently gains yards between the tackles. He deserves 20 carries a game. AB deserves more touches, and PTG needs a reduced role: strictly a 3rd down back. There needs to be a little more AAM sprinkled in the regular offense as well.

While Kobena has shown some flashes the truth of the matter is that our roster is devoid of any big time offensive weapons. But our most talented offensive player is Ashton Broyld, another tailback, not quarterback Ryan Nassib. So the SU offense should be more run-oriented, centered around our most consistent and talented players, both tailbacks, and not a hurry-up, pass happy offense centered around a pretty good but ultimately mistake-prone Nassib.

If there isn't a better quarterback option on the bench than Nassib, then he's probably better served being more of a game manger like he was in 2010 and not the trigger man of a pass heavy spread option attack. In a more smash-mouth attack, he would excel in play action like he did when he had DC3 pounding it between the tackles from deep in the 'I.' That's also how Temple beat UConn today.

The bottom line is that the less reliant this offense is on the capable but painfully inconsistent Nassib, the better off it will be. With the way this defense is playing right now, a bowl is still not out of the question. This team can still win six games but, imho, DM and Hackett need to rely less on Nassib's erratic play and adopt a more tailback-oriented, play action attack if they wanna gain bowl eligibility.

Reading this post reminds me of someone.

Anyway, I agree with this post mostly because of the erratic play at the QB position. At the very least they can mix it up some more. I was glad to see the TE's involved and surprised to see Nassib check down to them and even to PTG, who dropped a pass. Smith is doing a nice job. PTG gets into trouble running east and west. He was able to bail himself out on a bad decision on the last drive against Pitt, and I hoped he had learned a lesson from that experience but apparently not.

The defense is playing very well and continues to improve.

I thought the special teams looked better except for the two very painful breakdowns.

And they couldn't score then either. What's the common denominator? Ryan Nassib.

For all his positive attributes -- and he certainly has some; he's a good, not great player -- at the end of the day, he's just too inconsistent and mistake prone to build an offense around. Imho, he's better suited for the role of steady game manager rather than no-huddle gunslinger.

Amazing that coaches throughout the country these days can put up a gazillion points year after year with BUMS for Quarterbacks.

Yet we have a QB who is currently projected to be drafted in the middle rounds next April, and we can't let him throw the football.

What.

[quote="kingottoiii, post: 379979, member: 1042"How would running the ball help us score points?[/quote]
Because as the opening drive against Pitt and the 2nd quarter drive to tie it @ 7 showed today, this team is more efficient and less mistake/turnover prone when they rely more heavily on the run. Both drives consisted of heavy doses of Jerome Smith, play action completions, and ended with TDs using the tank formation.

Amazing that coaches throughout the country these days can put up a gazillion points year after year with BUMS for Quarterbacks.

Yet we have a QB who is currently projected to be drafted in the middle rounds next April, and we can't let him throw the football.

What.

People really need to think about this post.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Because as the opening drive against Pitt and the 2nd quarter drive to tie it @ 7 showed today, this team is more efficient and less mistake/turnover prone when they rely more heavily on the run. Both drives consisted of heavy doses of Jerome Smith, play action completions, and ended with TDs using the tank formation.

We got the ball today to the RU 30 before he even touched the ball. Last week he had two rushes for 14 yards to start the drive. We then went from our 44 to the endzone without him touching the ball. You are really crediting that drive to him? That was a heavy dose? We don't run play action passes this year so you are simply making that up. You are also making a HUGE assumption that using a spread formation and the fact that we are a pass first team (meaning the D is looking for a pass) doesn't help our run game be the mediocre run game that it currently is. To think that our run game won't get worse in a pro set run first system, is silly. You are also ignoring the fact that we were not efficient last year and were mistake prone. The mistakes seem to hurt more this year because we are actually moving the ball. The tend to happen in the opposing red zone this year vs not even getting to the red zone last year. Smith has the talent to be a good #2 RB. Yet you want to run the O through him?

The drive to begin the 3rd quarter was similar to the touchdown drive late in the 2nd quarter. I think a nice mix of hurry up is a good idea. Some of the defenses SU plays later on the schedule should be easier for Nassib to be the centerpiece. I think UConn is not one of those defenses and neither is Louisville, but I think against Mizzou, USF, Temple and possibly Cincy it might be nice to run more of the up tempo than not.

I'm thinking is Nassib still projected to be drafted in the middle rounds of the NFL draft? He is being evaluated every week.

I'm thinking is Nassib still projected to be drafted in the middle rounds of the NFL draft? He is being evaluated every week.

My guess is his projection will not be plummeting after passing for over 350 yards against the #2 defense in the nation (statistically).

My guess is his projection will not be plummeting after passing for over 350 yards against the #2 defense in the nation (statistically).

Number 2 against the run!

Number 70 against the pass...and dropping.

Number 2 against the run! Number 70 against the pass...and dropping.

My mistake. Doesn't matter, though. He's going to be drafted in the middle rounds. Yet he's not good enough to let him pass. ridiculous.

Smith has the talent to be a good #2 RB. Yet you want to run the O through him?
I agree, Smith probably is more of a #2 back but I don't want it to be about him alone. I want AB and AAM to also get carries.

He's going to be drafted in the middle rounds. Yet he's not good enough to let him pass. ridiculous.
I seriously, seriously doubt Ryan Nassib gets drafted in ANY rounds.

My mistake. Doesn't matter, though. He's going to be drafted in the middle rounds. Yet he's not good enough to let him pass. ridiculous.

I have no idea if he is going to be drafted in the middle rounds. Mr. Irrelevant last year, the name given to the last draft pick, was a QB named Chandler Harnish whose college highlight reel is very impressive. For Ryan's sake I hope he is drafted.

we'll never win unless we run the offense that you want but are vague about to always give yourself wiggle room

they're airing it out from the shotgun almost 60% of the time.

they should've got another quarterback and run their system last year. problem was that the coach and most fans (including you) thought nassib was going to be a good 3 year starter.
No, I've been pretty clear. It's the mentality that matters. We played urgent vs Northwestern. It lasted all of one game.

We stopped treating offensive plays as opportunities. Marrone loves to be content. Hey, he has three TOs and could maybe try to get the ball back before half time, but we're tied and getting the ball to start the second half, so we're good to concede the half. Hey, we can try to make a play for a 1st or a TD, but we can kick a field goal and take the lead so we're good.

Those are just the examples from this game. They aren't doing it my way.

Chandler was injured in the first game and missed several games after that and then when he returned he probably played at less than 100% healthy and the team lost the last 5 games of the season. All of that said, it seemed to me that most people on here knew Chandler would be drafted, but they were surprised he went in the first round.

I think about it alright. I think its crazy. Even if it comes true

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No, I've been pretty clear. It's the mentality that matters. We played urgent vs Northwestern. It lasted all of one game.

We stopped treating offensive plays as opportunities. Marrone loves to be content. Hey, he has three TOs and could maybe try to get the ball back before half time, but we're tied and getting the ball to start the second half, so we're good to concede the half. Hey, we can try to make a play for a 1st or a TD, but we can kick a field goal and take the lead so we're good.

Those are just the examples from this game. They aren't doing it my way.

This is a crock. You always work backwards. When they offense stinks, we must've been tentative. When they get fewer plays, must've been slow

This smells like the vague "whenever we happened to run last year in the first quarter and failed, that was when the tone was set"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Flemming played today.

Of course, he didn't have any catches because he wasn't wearing a Rutgers jersey.

And Tim Lane has better hands than Broyld. Explains why Broyld isn't used as a kick or punt returner.
On what evidence do you base your bold statement that Broyld has worse hands than Tim Lane - come on, let's here it!

Doubtful. They may take a late round flyer on him due to productivity and physical attributes. There is no room for QB's in the NFL with a propensity to turn the ball over and difficulty making pre snap reads. There is room for guys like Todd Philcox, who can come in and manage the game when the 1 goes down, however. I would not call Nassib a game manager at this point.

There were people here who said the same thing about Chandler Jones last season.
But Chandler Jones always had NFL measurables so you knew he had a very good shot at getting drafted despite what the naysayers chirped about. While Nassib has a decent arm and has put up good numbers at SU, he's also not very athletic, clearly mistake-prone and he doesn't lead his team to the most important stat: victories. When I watch Nassib play, I see some talent there but I simply don't see an NFL QB.

On what evidence do you base your bold statement that Broyld has worse hands than Tim Lane - come on, let's here it!

A little birdie who has observed several practices told me.

Also told me that Broyld likes to put the ball on the carpet.

Like I said in another thread, Broyld is the new Mookie Jones. He jacks up a couple of meaningless 3 pointers in garbage time, and suddenly everyone thinks he should be playing 30 minutes a game.

Broyld will probably be a great player when all is said and done. Right now he's just a freshman struggling to pick up the playbook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom