Tinker Toy Team.... | Syracusefan.com

Tinker Toy Team....

newmexicuse

All Conference
Our guys look so skinny and weak out there compared to opposition teams. Matchstick arms and legs.

This is where we really miss QG.

I get why we have a stereotypical type of player, but in roster construction you need to supplement that with a few enforcers.

Our guys look so skinny and weak out there compared to opposition teams. Matchstick arms and legs.

I get why we have a stereotypical type of player, but in roster construction you need to supplement that with a few enforcers.
The thing is, we aren't even recruiting our "prototype." We don't have the long athletic forward and the tall athletic guards that are supposed to be our prototype. We have apparently decided to trade that for skilled players that lack athleticism. What I don't get is why it has to be either/or. Why can't we get athletes with skill anymore? Why can't we mix some long athletic guys with big physical guys? Why can't we have small athletic guards? I get that the 2010 and 2012 teams had the prototype guards and forwards, but AO wasn't covering the corner 3 in 2010 and 2009 was a 3 seed in the tournament with Johnny Flynn. Have we gotten to where we try to recruit too much to a type instead of just getting the best players we can and adjusting what we do to their abilities? Or is this the best we can now get and we are doing what we can with that?

The thing is, we aren't even recruiting our "prototype." We don't have the long athletic forward and the tall athletic guards that are supposed to be our prototype. We have apparently decided to trade that for skilled players that lack athleticism. What I don't get is why it has to be either/or. Why can't we get athletes with skill anymore? Why can't we mix some long athletic guys with big physical guys? Why can't we have small athletic guards? I get that the 2010 and 2012 teams had the prototype guards and forwards, but AO wasn't covering the corner 3 in 2010 and 2009 was a 3 seed in the tournament with Johnny Flynn. Have we gotten to where we try to recruit too much to a type instead of just getting the best players we can and adjusting what we do to their abilities? Or is this the best we can now get and we are doing what we can with that?
I think people don’t want to come here .. sit the bench for a year .. then do jumping jacks for another couple years ..

I think people don’t want to come here .. sit the bench for a year .. then do jumping jacks for another couple years ..
If I watch us and am not that entertained and watch other teams and find them fun to watch despite not knowing the players or caring about the team, what do prospects think? JB's status as a HOF coach and his ability tomget guys to league just doesn't carry the same weight it used too. Guys know they can get to the league at a variety of places and want to play a fun brand of basketball while winning... and not just making a run in the tournament after squeaking in. Regular season success matters.

We need QG because you liked his physique? Ok. The takes here have gone for off the emotional deep end it is hard to believe. When we had “athletes” everyone complained they didn’t know how to play basketball, now we have “skill” players and you don’t like how they look.

Quickness is an issue. Ball handling is an issue. How the players look is pretty far down the list don’t you think?

If I watch us and am not that entertained and watch other teams and find them fun to watch despite not knowing the players or caring about the team, what do prospects think? JB's status as a HOF coach and his ability tomget guys to league just doesn't carry the same weight it used too. Guys know they can get to the league at a variety of places and want to play a fun brand of basketball while winning... and not just making a run in the tournament after squeaking in. Regular season success matters.
Your excellent point also applies to Dome attendance.
A fun brand helps bring in both players and fans ($$$).
Watching athletic teams get up and down the floor and put on a show is lots more fun.

In order to win the way we used to in our glorious past; we need to:
Recruit players that have speed, athletic ability and are scorers
Recruit players who create their own shots and can score at multiple levels
Recruit players who love playing defense
Recruit strong capable players that have those attributes, from the portal
Coach the above referenced types into players capable of playing in the NBA!

Watching athletic teams get up and down the floor and put on a show is lots more fun.
And part of it is not even just the style. People want to see athletic people doing athletic things. That doesn't necessarily mean every guy has to jump out of the gym, but you needs some guys that can run and jump.

We need QG because you liked his physique? Ok. The takes here have gone for off the emotional deep end it is hard to believe. When we had “athletes” everyone complained they didn’t know how to play basketball, now we have “skill” players and you don’t like how they look.

Quickness is an issue. Ball handling is an issue. How the players look is pretty far down the list don’t you think?
People don't really care how they look, but often physique speaks to strength and power, which we have little of. Why can't we get athletes that also have skills? The two aren't mutually exclusive. We used to get guys that had both. Those Auburn players didn't just out athlete us, they were skilled too.

Why can’t we have a true Point Guard?

If we had QG instead of Swider the way they are playing this year we are probably 2-4, maybe 1-5.
firstly, QG and Swider are not necesserily mutually exclusive.

secondly, this team has ZERO power players. Nobody can power drive to the hoop or have the ball underneath and just go straight up with authority. Nobody is an intimidator in the lane physically on d.

thirdly, had we kept QG, we do not know how much he might have improved and progressed within our system.

fourth, had QG stayed and the rest of the roster was the same, Benny would be the odd man out in the front court rotation. There can be no doubt the team would be better off for that. Of course, the downside would be that if Benny doesn’t play he would most certainly leave. So the question becomes, would you have wanted to be better this season or gamble that Benny stays and makes the leap next season.

When we had athletes and no shooters everyone complained. Now we have shooters and less athletes and everyone is complaining. I still think this team can be good. This is how the last several seasons have started.

When we had athletes and no shooters everyone complained. Now we have shooters and less athletes and everyone is complaining. I still think this team can be good. This is how the last several seasons have started.
But when we had athletes AND shooters...

Why cant the staff put together a roster that has options, so that we can put in as many shooters as necessary at times and mix it up with athletes and enforcers as is needed for matchups. Furthermore, why cant we recruit an athlete or an enforcer that might also have a shot ????

We cant the staff put together a roster that has options, so that we can put in as many shooters as necessary at times and mix it up with athletes and enforcers as is needed for matchups. Furthermore, why cant we recruit an athlete or an enforcer that might also have a shot ????
I’m going to hold my judgement on this team until January. We have a lot of new pieces in the mix. We still have plenty of opportunities for good wins.

I’m going to hold my judgement on this team until January. We have a lot of new pieces in the mix. We still have plenty of opportunities for good wins.
I think it is crystal clear that the upside to this roster is the bubble. The unknown is how low might the downside be.

Yes, there will be some games when we shoot well or the other team doesnt and there will be a few nice wins, but it is pretty obvious there will not be enough of those games to (best case) get us off the bubble.

Right on. The die hards will still show up but you are not getting new fans being bubblelicious year after year.

firstly, QG and Swider are not necesserily mutually exclusive.

secondly, this team has ZERO power players. Nobody can power drive to the hoop or have the ball underneath and just go straight up with authority. Nobody is an intimidator in the lane physically on d.

thirdly, had we kept QG, we do not know how much he might have improved and progressed within our system.

fourth, had QG stayed and the rest of the roster was the same, Benny would be the odd man out in the front court rotation. There can be no doubt the team would be better off for that. Of course, the downside would be that if Benny doesn’t play he would most certainly leave. So the question becomes, would you have wanted to be better this season or gamble that Benny stays and makes the leap next season.
I mean I wanted QG and Kadary to stay, but the versions we saw last year are not the versions they are this year. If we got the versions we see this year we would be worse off than our current roster.

There seems to be a misconception in this thread; JB does try to recruit all those types of players that are mention above - we just don’t land them very often. Most of the guys we get are our second or third choice.

There seems to be a misconception in this thread; JB does try to recruit all those types of players that are mention above - we just don’t land them very often. Most of the guys we get are our second or third choice.
Does he though? There was a highly respected poster that was connected in the recruiting world that was pretty critical of how JBs recruiting had changed. I don't believe he posts here anymore.

For the thousand time; if recruits want to play in the ACC they have a host of traditional ACC teams to choose from that are more representative of the ACC than Syracuse. When we were Big East, we got a good share of the best players who wanted to play in the Big East. We represented the Big East, along with UCon and GT. The ACC downturn in recruiting was predictable and inevitable. I shouted it from the rooftops. Those that thought recruiting would improve due to ACC affiliation were sadly mistaken. We made a pact with the devil although we had little choice.

When we had athletes and no shooters everyone complained. Now we have shooters and less athletes and everyone is complaining.
Why do we have to choose between those two things? We're the 5th winningest program of all-time and play in the largest arena in college basketball. Athletic guys who can shoot in theory should want to play basketball at Syracuse.

Why do we have to choose between those two things? We're the 5th winningest program of all-time and play in the largest arena in college basketball. Athletic guys who can shoot in theory should want to play basketball at Syracuse.

And why do we make our offense so one-dimensional? I.E., only having shooters, but nobody who can break anybody down off the dribble.

Shooting is great. Love having shooters. But not at the exclusionary expense of other skills and versatility.

I could guess why

I mean I wanted QG and Kadary to stay, but the versions we saw last year are not the versions they are this year. If we got the versions we see this year we would be worse off than our current roster.

I'd disagree with this.

I'd happily take away an additional 18% skill off the current version of each of those two and I'd still insist we'd be better off. We have a roster full of busters and we're seriously lacking versatility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom