Tip Off Initial Impressions | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tip Off Initial Impressions

Also sounds like a lot of guys just getting out there and hooping. The great thing about experience is just that right there. Ball is tipped and it's time to get to work.

I was Impressed with JGIII. Looked good with both handling and shooting the ball. A few mistakes but more in the second part of the scrimmage where everyone seemed to get a bit more lax.

Frank always seemed to find the weak spot in the D and presented himself well to receive the pass. When he didn't have an easy dunk he was patient and made the defender commit leading to easy baskets for him.
JGIII and Frank seemed to have really good chemistry.

Jimmy came out of the gates on fire.
Second half Buddy got hot in the second half.

Edwards showed that he can use his size to get easy boards and putbacks, but still missed alot of 3-5ft shots and wasnt really good with his hands on passes (that were probably two low for someone his size) and loose balls.

Benny was really smooth out there, and always seemed to be in the right place.

Both teams generally playing a walk on. None of them look very good. JB fouled. He was often guarded by Buddy but Buddy is out now. JB fast break 2. Continues to dominate.

more walk in’s in now. Benny fall away just won’t fall. Jesse follow dunk just misses. Jesse misses a 10 footer.

We're going to starting saying of Jimmy's victims that they just "Got Big-Brothered". LOL

he was announced as not participating tonight because of injury

JB said he had been out the last 8-10 days, so that doesn't sound good. We're only a couple weeks into official practice. So that means it's between Jimmy and Frankie for the back-up center minutes.

Not sure I totally agree with this opinion based on tonight. I’m sure he will be a good shooter eventually, but he’s going to be at his best from 15 feet and in. His shot needs more arc if he’s going to shoot consistent from deep.

Looking forward to seeing him play. There have been a number of guys who do pretty well with flat shots to be fair but if he is a mid range to the rim kinda guy it balances out better too. Rather have the most athletic guys on the team playing closer to the rim anyways.

I was Impressed with JGIII. Looked good with both handling and shooting the ball. A few mistakes but more in the second part of the scrimmage where everyone seemed to get a bit more lax.

Frank always seemed to find the weak spot in the D and presented himself well to receive the pass. When he didn't have an easy dunk he was patient and made the defender commit leading to easy baskets for him.
JGIII and Frank seemed to have really good chemistry.

Jimmy came out of the gates on fire.
Second half Buddy got hot in the second half.

Edwards showed that he can use his size to get easy boards and putbacks, but still missed alot of 3-5ft shots and wasnt really good with his hands on passes (that were probably two low for someone his size) and loose balls.

Benny was really smooth out there, and always seemed to be in the right place.

If JG3 was working well with Frank hopefully he has that same chemistry with Jesse and that played a role.

JB said he had been out the last 8-10 days, so that doesn't sound good. We're only a couple weeks into official practice. So that means it's between Jimmy and Frankie for the back-up center minutes.

he has a bone bruise from bumping knees but it’s the opposite knee from his torn meniscus.

Agree with most of this. While Jimmy was obviously great I thought Girard was even better. If he can play like he did in the Scrimmage all year we will be a good team.

Benny is a great athlete and can handle the ball, but I’m not sure we want or need him shooting outside of 15 feet. His shot has no arc whatsoever. Will be interesting to see how we use him.
Benny is a good player, not just a good athlete, and we don't know what he can do or what we need him to do yet. Let's just see how they all shake out, no need to limit anyone's game after a scrimmage.

JB went on the PA system a bit and said Cole and Sid had minor issues and would be back next week. I think JB has said similar things about players that ended up not playing for months, but thought that was encouraging. Cole participated in the 3 point contest and pregame drills. Sid did not.

Jimmy is old school good. Is physical and just such great court awareness. Love that he is a lefty. He might be our best all around player.
If so then he should start and Benny or Cole be the 6th man.

If so then he should start and Benny or Cole be the 6th man.

Cole is going to start.

At the beginning of the season, I think Jimmy will be the first sub at the 4 minute mark.

I have to be honest, I'm not thrilled to be entering the season with only 3 scholarship guards. Symir won't be coming in for Buddy or Joe at the first timeout, that's for sure.

Cole is going to start.

At the beginning of the season, I think Jimmy will be the first sub at the 4 minute mark.

I have to be honest, I'm not thrilled to be entering the season with only 3 scholarship guards. Symir won't be coming in for Buddy or Joe at the first timeout, that's for sure.

Yeah, 3 scholie guards has been a concern of mine as well although I have been told that Bennie can be the 4th guard in an emergency. I would think maybe Chaz as well although none of those are an optimum solution. We are only an injury away from a walk-on getting his fondest wish.

Yeah, 3 scholie guards has been a concern of mine as well although I have been told that Bennie can be the 4th guard in an emergency. I would think maybe Chaz as well although none of those are an optimum solution. We are only an injury away from a walk-on getting his fondest wish.
Dick, don't ever bet against an Owens, they're Orange Royalty. Look how Billy is handling it, supporting his son without being a pain in the butt to Coach. I'm pushing more chips on Chaz to become a player.