Tip Off Initial Impressions | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Tip Off Initial Impressions

Dick, don't ever bet against an Owens, they're Orange Royalty. Look how Billy is handling it, supporting his son without being a pain in the butt to Coach. I'm pushing more chips on Chaz to become a player.

I would never bet against an Owens. I should have been more specific; I believe that Chaz is viewed as more of a 3 and not a backcourt player...thus, not an optimum solution if a guard goes down.

I have to be honest, I'm not thrilled to be entering the season with only 3 scholarship guards. Symir won't be coming in for Buddy or Joe at the first timeout, that's for sure.
That’s been the plan all along. I said it the day Symir announced. Expect Symir’s shooting woes to be used as the reason he can’t help if we are having trouble defensively.

I would never bet against an Owens. I should have been more specific; I believe that Chaz is viewed as more of a 3 and not a backcourt player...thus, not an optimum solution if a guard goes down.
He is big, if he could have a strong handle, could be great. Have to see if he gets a little PT this year.

Yeah, 3 scholie guards has been a concern of mine as well although I have been told that Bennie can be the 4th guard in an emergency. I would think maybe Chaz as well although none of those are an optimum solution. We are only an injury away from a walk-on getting his fondest wish.

That's why it made zero sense to me to not bring in anyone at all at guard, just so there are 4 scholarship players for practice.

Cole is going to start.

At the beginning of the season, I think Jimmy will be the first sub at the 4 minute mark.

I have to be honest, I'm not thrilled to be entering the season with only 3 scholarship guards. Symir won't be coming in for Buddy or Joe at the first timeout, that's for sure.
I'm still not sure what the 3rd guard is for. Foul trouble I guess

Does anyone know why a stream of the scrimmage isn't available on YouTube?

I know that both Duke's and North Carolina's scrimmages were recorded & put on YouTube because I've watched them.

So why not Syracuse's scrimmage?

What seems to be the problem?

It's still wild to me that Jimmy stood out so much after such a long layover since he last played. Definitely bodes well for us if he is that good. Sure seems like the frontcourt is as stacked as it's been in a long time but also versatile.
not to nitpick...but they practice against each other every day for months plus im sure he plays a ton of one on one with his all-acc bro...not surprised in the least that the oldest most experienced player out there would look good in a game like this.

actual games might be different (i doubt it) have to wait and see.

JB went on the PA system a bit and said Cole and Sid had minor issues and would be back next week. I think JB has said similar things about players that ended up not playing for months, but thought that was encouraging. Cole participated in the 3 point contest and pregame drills. Sid did not.
doubt sid plays at all this year = 90+%

That's why it made zero sense to me to not bring in anyone at all at guard, just so there are 4 scholarship players for practice.
this my concern with how they built the roster = what if 1 guard is injured? let alone 2?

40mins a game for the guards - relying on that seems insane to me...

how hard would it be to bring in another "symir" for insurance sake...?

seems an unavoidable risk perhaps triggered by frustration with the current reality of portal madness

this my concern with how they built the roster = what if 1 guard is injured? let alone 2?

seems an unavoidable risk perhaps triggered by frustration with the current reality of portal madness

With Casey being a D2 grad transfer who seems to have a little game plus Chaz I presume that is the approach with those two? Practice wise I mean.

Guys want to play. Outside of getting a Howard Washington type or developmental freshman we were never going to get anyone who could really help us being the fourth guard. Buddy will plat 38mpg and Joe 30-35. Obviously we need to hope for no injuries.

Guys want to play. Outside of getting a Howard Washington type or developmental freshman we were never going to get anyone who could really help us being the fourth guard. Buddy will plat 38mpg and Joe 30-35. Obviously we need to hope for no injuries.
baylor just won the title with 4 dynamic guards...hoping 2 play every minute is not the recipe, imo.

and i wonder just how hard they even tried to find a 4th legit option...

i diagree with your premeise that it was impossible to get anything other than a howard washington type...i think after players like geno thorpe and kadary they just decided to go with 3...which, again, i think is a mistake.

baylor just won the title with 4 dynamic guards...hoping 2 play every minute is not the recipe, imo.

and i wonder just how hard they even tried to find a 4th legit option...

i diagree with your premeise that it was impossible to get anything other than a howard washington type...i think after players like geno thorpe and kadary they just decided to go with 3...which, again, i think is a mistake.

That‘s not a good comparison. Baylor plays man to man and had a guy 6’5” playing the post. They still only had an 8 man rotation.

That‘s not a good comparison. Baylor plays man to man and had a guy 6’5” playing the post. They still only had an 8 man rotation.

I would bet that if you looked at NC games you would find very few examples of any team playing more than 8 guys for any meaningful minutes. It’s also likely that those examples would have been because of forced situations like injury or foul trouble. It simply makes sense to play your best guys the most in the most important games. What most people don’t understand about JB is that he wants his core group of players to get all the meaningful minutes early in the season to develop. This is his philosophy, of course like all philosophies there’s positives and negatives. If you have a clear top 7/8 players and no injuries his way works very well. All that said a fourth scholarship guard would certainly make me feel better.

I think Jimmy is going to be the player we all kind of hoped Marek would eventually turn into.
Points wise for sure but Marek's intangibles ( bringing the ball up, willingly sharing the ball, blocked shots, drives to the hoop, etc) are going to be very difficult to replace.

what about for ball handling, breaking a press, creating for others
Valid points but I remember playing at VaTech in 2019 and we were playing 4v5 on offense in the second half because they were pretending HoWa didn’t exist. Rather just have an ACC level player on the court, who is probably talented enough to take the ball up the court if he has to, than a low major kid.

Not saying I’m in love with the roster construction but in today’s college hoops this particular situation is whatever to me.

I would bet that if you looked at NC games you would find very few examples of any team playing more than 8 guys for any meaningful minutes. It’s also likely that those examples would have been because of forced situations like injury or foul trouble. It simply makes sense to play your best guys the most in the most important games. What most people don’t understand about JB is that he wants his core group of players to get all the meaningful minutes early in the season to develop. This is his philosophy, of course like all philosophies there’s positives and negatives. If you have a clear top 7/8 players and no injuries his way works very well. All that said a fourth scholarship guard would certainly make me feel better.
i understand he has a shorter rotaation than almost anyone...for minutes.

but he has almost always had a deep bench of possible options... a la mookie jones or whomever...

sure a lot of players dont wanna be geno thorpe or play a limited role. dion waiters almost quit the team. i get it.

but the last time this team was #1 with onuaku mcw etc there were more than 10 players who got minutes.

you can have a short rotation with players on the bench who dont play but are there just in case...last season was a perfect example. woody newton was plenty good enough to play but wasnt in the rotation.

i think they just decided with the transfer portal madness not to bring any quality backups...

the idea that this was the only option is far from true imo

iirc a walkon was playing in the NCAA tourney a few years ago and it kinda worked out...but imagine that happens early in the season...

A new female player made 5 3s. Short and stocky.

8 3s made by #11 for the women. First name might be Taylor. She can shoot.

The new female player who made 5 3s?

My guess is this freshman. She is from the West Coast. I expect she'll play some this year. Kudos to her for not bailing on the school after the Hillsman fiasco.