Tired of Student excuses!...DID YOU KNOW... | Syracusefan.com

Tired of Student excuses!...DID YOU KNOW...

realcusefan888

Walk On
that students get season passes to football and basketball for $100? i was informed of this by a father of an SU frosh. so whats the excuse? thats worth it for basketball alone! i dont care if tuition is 100k/year...thats a great deal and come on...its like the guy that drives the cigar boat, hell if he can drive that kinda boat...the he can certainly afford the gas. these students arent poor!!! they will blow $100 on marshall street that night. get the heck outta bed, prime up for the nooner...go back to your dorm a shanked punt away and nap for 4 hours and be ready to rip it up that night!!! big ten schools have tens of thousands of students pumped and in place for 11 am local starts!!!

enough excuses!!!!

Football is $100, Football + Basketball are $235.

Where do you see people making excuses for students?

see people making excuses for the noon start and level of opponent. the early in package is $100 for both.

see people making excuses for the noon start and level of opponent. the early in package is $100 for both.

It's not $100 for both. It's $100 for Football, $235 for the combo. Trust me on this one.

Those aren't excuses, those are explanations. No one on this board is more upset by a shitty student section than I am, since I spend a lot of time working on student section stuff. It's been an absolute struggle trying to solve the issue, so I take it a bit personally when people from the outside just yell about how bad it is without adding anything of substance.

And have you noticed what games are the worst for the student section? It's the same games where none of the regular fans show up either. The students run in the same pattern as the fanbase as a whole. It's not a "student section" problem in particular, it is a greater Syracuse fan base problem.

I can agree that it is quite sad that Syracuse holds a block party at the dome featuring nas, marley and kid cudi and pack the house. And yet a football/ basketball game can never get that student turnout. That is defiantly defeating.

I can agree that it is quite sad that Syracuse holds a block party at the dome featuring nas, marley and kid cudi and pack the house. And yet a football/ basketball game can never get that student turnout. That is defiantly defeating.

Well that's a once a year thing, I don't think that's a fair comparison.

thanks for your insight and i appreciate your position and effort toward this problem. however, the problem i have with your argument is...ticket prices, parking, travel, kids, wife, holidays, hotels, and work. ZERO of these apply to the students and all are excuses we here from the working fanbase. being 18-22 and rolling out of bed unshowered and throwing on an orange shirt to support and cheer for a BCS program 100 yards away in the dome...nope, still dont get it...

thanks for your insight and i appreciate your position and effort toward this problem. however, the problem i have with your argument is...ticket prices, parking, travel, kids, wife, holidays, hotels, and work. ZERO of these apply to the students and all are excuses we here from the working fanbase. being 18-22 and rolling out of bed unshowered and throwing on an orange shirt to support and cheer for a BCS program 100 yards away in the dome...nope, still dont get it...

I completely agree that none of the above are good excuses, and tickets are totally affordable.

Those aren't excuses, those are explanations. No one on this board is more upset by a shitty student section than I am, since I spend a lot of time working on student section stuff. It's been an absolute struggle trying to solve the issue, so I take it a bit personally when people from the outside just yell about how bad it is without adding anything of substance.

Curious to hear what you and other highly invested students have tried. Several years ago Sportts Illustrated had an article about a mid-major basketball program that went from almost no student attendance to full sections. I think it was Monmouth. I don't remember what they did and haven't been about to find the article online, but hopefully your efforts will pay off.

And bad student sections aren't a new thing, when I was a student in the 90's the students had part of the section of pullout seats for basketball. I remember going to games when that section was half full at best, which is part of why I doubt the University will ever boot preferred ticket holders to return that to a student section again. They got burned on it once already. Syracuse students have a long, proud tradition of being largely indifferent fair weather fans...and it frustrated me as much in the 90's as it seems to be frustrating to you now.

It's not $100 for both. It's $100 for Football, $235 for the combo. Trust me on this one.

And have you noticed what games are the worst for the student section? It's the same games where none of the regular fans show up either. The students run in the same pattern as the fanbase as a whole. It's not a "student section" problem in particular, it is a greater Syracuse fan base problem.

Thanks. We're 3-1, just got into the ACC, had a close game with a crazy controversial call... and we're back to ragging on the students. Are you kidding me?

I wish we had students like you and a couple others that post on this board when I was on the Hill. The students had no organization, and yet managed to be both overly critical and apathetic - AND THE TEAM WAS GOOD.

... forget it.

I remember what it was like to be a selfish, panty stealing, party crashing, stressed out, chain smoking, 16-credit taking, 19-year-old on four hours drunk sleep. Back then, SU football was real low on the list of priorities. Now I spend all day on this board, hitting refresh.

Personally I think it's silly that SU charges $235 for student tix. Short-term thinking.

Get these kids hooked, by any means necessary, and one of them may be funding a new facility someday.

Also, non-students should about the student section. Try worrying about the other 45,000 seats that go half-f%#king-full each week.

Personally I think it's silly that SU charges $235 for student tix. Short-term thinking.

Get these kids hooked, by any means necessary, and one of them may be funding a new facility someday.

Also, non-students should about the student section. Try worrying about the other 45,000 seats that go half-f%#king-full each week.

If you have apathetic students that can't be bothered to come to games when they pay a basically trivial amount now, giving them free tickets is a bad idea. Then they lose absolutely nothing when they decide to not show up to a game they have tickets to. Not sure why we need to about the poor student turnout either...I feel pretty comfortable lumping them into the general discussion of how unbelieveably cheap and indifferent our entire fan base is. There's about 30,000 good fans...and thousands of people that devote an amazing amount of effort coming up with reasons they don't go to games when the truth is they don't give an and never will.

that students get season passes to football and basketball for $100? i was informed of this by a father of an SU frosh. so whats the excuse? thats worth it for basketball alone! i dont care if tuition is 100k/year...thats a great deal and come on...its like the guy that drives the cigar boat, hell if he can drive that kinda boat...the he can certainly afford the gas. these students arent poor!!! they will blow $100 on marshall street that night. get the heck outta bed, prime up for the nooner...go back to your dorm a shanked punt away and nap for 4 hours and be ready to rip it up that night!!! big ten schools have tens of thousands of students pumped and in place for 11 am local starts!!!

enough excuses!!!!

You know what? If students don't want to go, that is their choice. They aren't under any obligation to become football fans. That's not their primary reason for being in college ya know.

When I was a student at SU, we probably had 500 students at the games on a good day. I went to every game, but that was me. I only had one other friend that ever went. None of my other friends did. They literally had no interest in college football. There was nothing that was going to change that either

Honestly, the issue is the current seniors (Me, blackknight, nailsthecusefan12) suffered through a 4-8 season in 08, 4-8 in 09, and last year was the first winning year we saw. This is huge, as freshmen that had to deal with the awful first year of G-rob thought it was not worth the money, so they didn't renew as sophomores, saw the team go 4-8 and said here we go again, so they didn't renew last year. Then we make a bowl and attendance doesn't change because at this point they don't care.

Same issue with juniors, but to a lesser extent. Sophomores will bring higher numbers, this year's freshman should bring higher numbers, but I know for sure that's what the problem is. Being someone coming from a high school where going to sports was the cool thing to do, I would have been there anyways, but others don't think like that. That's the mindset at SU.

The perception of our football program hasn't changed, we need to start making real noise so fans around the country take notice. I still had people IN NYC say this year "well the football team's not good right?" We need to get ranked or get a huge win on national tv on a weekday (WVU) so fans take notice like when Rutgers (sigh) beat Louisville. That's what it's going to take.

PS. Don't blame the students when the regular fans can't have 25,000 to come for Toledo.

Well that's a once a year thing, I don't think that's a fair comparison.
Yes it is a once a year opportunity. But so is Wake Forest, Rhode Island, and Toledo. But the student turn out is sub par. And tickets at the door for that party were 50$ just for 300 level. Personally I see no excuse. But I due understand your point.

Yes it is a once a year opportunity. But so is Wake Forest, Rhode Island, and Toledo. But the student turn out is sub par. And tickets at the door for that party were 50$ just for 300 level. Personally I see no excuse. But I due understand your point.
No student paid more than 15 dollars for those tickets, I can guarantee you that. Kid Cudi, Nas, and Damian Marley are HUGE names in the music scene these days, and for that price to see a concert like that it doesn't compare.

Honestly, the issue is the current seniors (Me, blackknight, nailsthecusefan12) suffered through a 4-8 season in 08, 4-8 in 09, and last year was the first winning year we saw. This is huge, as freshmen that had to deal with the awful first year of G-rob thought it was not worth the money, so they didn't renew as sophomores, saw the team go 4-8 and said here we go again, so they didn't renew last year. Then we make a bowl and attendance doesn't change because at this point they don't care.

Same issue with juniors, but to a lesser extent. Sophomores will bring higher numbers, this year's freshman should bring higher numbers, but I know for sure that's what the problem is. Being someone coming from a high school where going to sports was the cool thing to do, I would have been there anyways, but others don't think like that. That's the mindset at SU.

The perception of our football program hasn't changed, we need to start making real noise so fans around the country take notice. I still had people IN NYC say this year "well the football team's not good right?" We need to get ranked or get a huge win on national tv on a weekday (WVU) so fans take notice like when Rutgers (sigh) beat Louisville. That's what it's going to take.

PS. Don't blame the students when the regular fans can't have 25,000 to come for Toledo.

Dead on -- good post. And remember that the first game of the year was probably the biggest student section I've ever seen at the Dome. I'm sure most of that was comprised of freshmen/sophs. The stink is definitely not off the Grob era. That will slowly diminish.

And you are right, we need that statement game on national TV to help remove the stench. We have opportunities this year with two ranked teams coming in later on in the year.

Seeing Syracuse play a 1-AA in football is pretty comparable to seeing a rapper widely regarded as being Top 5 all time in the hip-hop game for a college student :bang:. Being upset with the students is a waste of time. Syracuse football hasn't been fun for any upperclassmen. We're also not a huge undergraduate school (14,000). Additionally, the lack of any sort of pre-game events or incentives does not help. The marketing effort is non-existent for students. There are very few things catered to students, and charging students does not help. I understand being upset that student turnout isn't better, but having a lack of perspective does not help.

Dead on -- good post. And remember that the first game of the year was probably the biggest student section I've ever seen at the Dome. I'm sure most of that was comprised of freshmen/sophs. The stink is definitely not off the Grob era. That will slowly diminish.

And you are right, we need that statement game on national TV to help remove the stench. We have opportunities this year with two ranked teams coming in later on in the year.

We had 5700+ come through the student gate for Wake Forest (some non-students, but probably close to 5000 were students), which is an all-time Dome record.

Also, you realize they maybe had 10,000 people there for this? It wasn't in the middle of the dome.

We had 5700+ come through the student gate for Wake Forest (some non-students, but probably close to 5000 were students), which is an all-time Dome record.

I would like to know what the student count was when CUSE played Tennessee in 1998. Being in the student section that day it was full 30 minutes before game time and security was dealing with overcrowding of the section. Then again in 98, there may have been a "smaller" allocated student section as the rest of the building was sold-out.

From my time on campus and with home openers against UNC (McNabb's sophomore year post the Clemson Gator bowl beat down), NC State (after destroying Wisconsin in the kickoff classic), Tennessee (two top 15 teams) and Michigan, I find it hard to believe that this year's Wake Forest game is the all-time Dome record for student attendance unless in the years since more tickets have been allocated to students in place of regular fans.

No student paid more than 15 dollars for those tickets, I can guarantee you that. Kid Cudi, Nas, and Damian Marley are HUGE names in the music scene these days, and for that price to see a concert like that it doesn't compare.
Was that the early order price?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom