TMZ reporting Kobe killed in copter crash | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

TMZ reporting Kobe killed in copter crash

man o man truer words cannot be said.

In the you couldn't write it and wouldn't believe it if you did department, two of the best basketball players I've ever seen play in my life have died in less than 24hrs of each other. I write this with a heavy heart as my life long best friend who I went to HS and college with has passed after a long illness. As someone wrote elsewhere in this thread say I love you to everyone in your life important to you. With Larry he was the last guy you'd ever think would get cancer (not a drinker, smoker, ate well, exercised religiously every day with his wife) so as he said to me recently before passing enjoy every day, even the bad ones.

He was a two time basketball All American at Hamilton College, an academic all american and about the greatest human being I've ever known or will know. Before his latest career in academia he had a long stint in the airforce teaching wildnerness survival techniques to downed air force pilots. Including the guy shot down over bosnia years ago know as basher 1,2,3.
Lately he's been coaching basketball and teaching in NC. In basketball he was a force of nature and was part of teams that regularly competed at div 3 Hamilton against and beat some div. 1 teams back in the day. He still holds many records at the college and is beloved by many there.

These type of events put it all in perspective and I will say that part of the enjoyment of life at this point for me comes the community we have here which has become very important in my life. Some of my very good friends are from here now that I spend more time with now than any other friends, and I thank them as they share the SU passion (you know who you are). But also so it is true for this whole group who I know only by name/handles here as we all share the love of orange. And though we have quarrels and disagreements about this and that (especially on the OT board) at the end of the day we're all orange brothers and sisters.

So a long winded way of saying thanks my orange brothers and sisters for the entertainment, the information and for the friendship. And also to say "sorry' to anyone I've rubbed the wrong way either on these boards or the OT boards because again read what I just wrote. Theres much more important things in life to hold or have any ill will.

And finally Godspeed to my best friend and star basketball player Larry Kollath, I love ya bro and you're forever in my heart and soul. And as his dad and sister just noted, "I hope Larry doesn't have to guard Kobe at the gates of Heaven tonight", but if he does "watch out Kobe because you have met your match with Larry"
Beautiful tribute and wise words. Sorry for your loss.

All 9 people have been identified.

Kobe and Gianna
The baseball coach, his wife and daughter
Another young girl and her mother
A woman who was the asst on the team
The pilot

The tragic helicopter wreck that killed NBA legend Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, has also left the world mourning the loss of the seven others who died in the crash in Southern California.
The other victims included two of Gianna's 13-year-old basketball teammates, Payton Chester and Alyssa Altobelli. Chester's mother, Sarah, also was killed along with Altobelli's parents, longtime college baseball coach John Altobelli and his wife, Keri.
Christina Mauser, 38, who was an assistant basketball coach and mother of three, also died along with pilot Ara Zobayan. The group was traveling to Bryant's Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks for a basketball tournament when the crash occurred.

I just can’t shake this one... Devastating for so many reasons. It’s just tragic.

Every time I see the pictures, especially with Kobe and Gigi, it just breaks my heart. Maybe because I have two daughters. Maybe because, I don’t know.

It’s tough not to find motivation in my own life coming from the remorse that this man, who was so hyper motivated, will no longer be able to do that with his family.

Makes me want to be better in all facets of life. Everyday is a gift.

A day and a half later, it's still just as shocking. I can't believe it. You kinda have it in your head that some figures are larger than life and are 'permanent.' It's surreal.
I never thought someone I don’t know could have such an effect on me...for days now.

I think, for me, beyond the fact he was THE icon of my generation, is that he was a flawed man who achieved greatness.

He didn’t have a lot of friends, he had chemistry issues with other players, and he, of course, had the off the court issues...but through it all, he defined greatness.

There’s something about complicated people that makes them more identifiable, at least for me.

The saddest part is that the man he became.. we unfortunately only began to get a glimpse of. His second act was shaping up to be so much more meaningful than what we saw on the court.

I just can’t shake this one... Devastating for so many reasons. It’s just tragic.

Every time I see the pictures, especially with Kobe and Gigi, it just breaks my heart. Maybe because I have two daughters. Maybe because, I don’t know.

It’s tough not to find motivation in my own life coming from the remorse that this man, who was so hyper motivated, will no longer be able to do that with his family.

Makes me want to be better in all facets of life. Everyday is a gift.
Couldn’t agree more.

Special VFR is a sub category of Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flight. Permission to operate under Special VFR within a Control Zone, in meteorological conditions not meeting Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) minima, is given to a flight by means of an Air Traffic Control clearance.

thats what I found.
Disclaimer, this is all conjecture and I don’t know. But in talking with others and from watching a video of flight path and ATC conversation online, sounds like the pilot may have requested the special VFR clearance and to be tracked when normally an IFR flight plan is made in those conditions, I.e., fly using instrumentation vs. depending on visual line of sight. In doing so, one is supposed to stay out of clouds with sufficient visibility. If cloud ceiling heights lowered during travel, then the aircraft would also have to stay lower, perhaps under radar beam to track copter. Erratic flight at end could be desperate attempt to climb quickly given terrain causing strain on engine. Then it came down. As I understand it, if an IFR flight plan is filed, then one must land at an airport according to flight rules. But if one wanted to land somewhere else, say in a field or some location in a copter, then a special VFR clearance can be requested under conditions that are not VFR. That’s my understanding, again take all this with a big grain of salt. I really don’t know anything at this point. NTSB will figure it out. Just a terrible tragedy.

Disclaimer, this is all conjecture and I don’t know. But in talking with others and from watching a video of flight path and ATC conversation online, sounds like the pilot may have requested the special VFR clearance and to be tracked when normally an IFR flight plan is made in those conditions, I.e., fly using instrumentation vs. depending on visual line of sight. In doing so, one is supposed to stay out of clouds with sufficient visibility. If cloud ceiling heights lowered during travel, then the aircraft would also have to stay lower, perhaps under radar beam to track copter. Erratic flight at end could be desperate attempt to climb quickly given terrain causing strain on engine. Then it came down. As I understand it, if an IFR flight plan is filed, then one must land at an airport according to flight rules. But if one wanted to land somewhere else, say in a field or some location in a copter, then a special VFR clearance can be requested under conditions that are not VFR. That’s my understanding, again take all this with a big grain of salt. I really don’t know anything at this point. NTSB will figure it out. Just a terrible tragedy.

For sure there is something that went down ... some factor we may never know ..cause this type of issue must happen all the time and experienced pilots don’t careen into mountains

I hope he grounds himself, too, for the sake of his wife, Nina, & 3-year-old girl, Lola. A Nina tweet tonight during the Grammys.

He obviously didn’t want to talk about it. Said three sentences then went on a pre-planned tangential rant to get off the subject.

I still think we get a good piece when he finally gets home and digests what happened a little more.

Related, I believe. IIRC, JFK Jr was not certified for IFR flight. Since he was flying at night, it is thought he fell victim to spatial disorientation.

JFK Jr. was an arrogant ass who was punching above his weight class in flying skills

In the you couldn't write it and wouldn't believe it if you did department, two of the best basketball players I've ever seen play in my life have died in less than 24hrs of each other. I write this with a heavy heart as my life long best friend who I went to HS and college with has passed after a long illness. As someone wrote elsewhere in this thread say I love you to everyone in your life important to you often and regularly. With Larry he was the last guy you'd ever think would get cancer (not a drinker, smoker, ate well, exercised religiously every day with his wife) so as he said to me recently before passing enjoy every day, even the bad ones.

He was a two time basketball All American at Hamilton College, an academic all american and about the greatest human being I've ever known or will know. Before his latest career in academia he had a long stint in the airforce teaching wildnerness survival techniques to downed air force pilots. Including the guy shot down over bosnia years ago know as basher 1,2,3.
Lately he's been coaching basketball and teaching in NC. In basketball he was a force of nature and was part of teams that regularly competed at div 3 Hamilton against and beat some div. 1 teams back in the day. He still holds many records at the college and is beloved by many there.

These type of events put it all in perspective and I will say that part of the enjoyment of life at this point for me comes the community we have here which has become very important in my life. Some of my very good friends are from here now that I spend more time with now than any other friends, and I thank them as they share the SU passion (you know who you are). But also so it is true for this whole group who I know only by name/handles here as we all share the love of orange. And though we have quarrels and disagreements about this and that (especially on the OT board) at the end of the day we're all orange brothers and sisters.

So a long winded way of saying thanks my orange brothers and sisters for the entertainment, the information and for the friendship. And also to say "sorry' to anyone I may have rubbed the wrong way either on these boards or especially the OT boards because again read what I just wrote. Theres much more important things in life to hold or have any ill will and as these events show it’s all too short.

And finally Godspeed to my best friend and star basketball player Larry Kollath, I love ya bro and you're forever in my heart and soul. And as his dad and sister just noted, "I hope Larry doesn't have to guard Kobe at the gates of Heaven tonight", but if he does "watch out Kobe because you have met your match with Larry"
Sorry for your loss Mike. I’m glad you got to visit with your friend when you were down for the Duke football game. Too young

In the you couldn't write it and wouldn't believe it if you did department, two of the best basketball players I've ever seen play in my life have died in less than 24hrs of each other. I write this with a heavy heart as my life long best friend who I went to HS and college with has passed after a long illness. As someone wrote elsewhere in this thread say I love you to everyone in your life important to you often and regularly. With Larry he was the last guy you'd ever think would get cancer (not a drinker, smoker, ate well, exercised religiously every day with his wife) so as he said to me recently before passing enjoy every day, even the bad ones.

So a long winded way of saying thanks my orange brothers and sisters for the entertainment, the information and for the friendship. And also to say "sorry' to anyone I may have rubbed the wrong way either on these boards or especially the OT boards because again read what I just wrote. Theres much more important things in life to hold or have any ill will and as these events show it’s all too short.

Thanks for the story, my friend. I'm sad for your loss and hope you'll celebrate your buddie's life at every opportunity. I write posts and start threads expressing appreciation for this place and the people that dwell here. Sometimes to the point of excess. I've experienced enough loss in this life and try to celebrate the people I appreciate early and often. Life is fragile and brief, yet remarkable and meaningful. I have great appreciation for this place and the people that make my life better by sharing their thoughts. Every day...

PS...the rest of you I have on ignore...

I'm in no way an expert, but I was wondering the same. The reports said that seconds before the chopper went down, it climbed at a very high rate before plummeting. My uninformed opinion was that it was an "oh s---" moment by the pilot, realizing that he was too low and there was a mountain in front of him. He pulled up but the quick ascent caused the chopper to stall or make an erratic maneuver that caused it to go down. Just so tragic, regardless.

I'm in no way an expert, but I was wondering the same. The reports said that seconds before the chopper went down, it climbed at a very high rate before plummeting. My uninformed opinion was that it was an "oh s---" moment by the pilot, realizing that he was too low and there was a mountain in front of him. He pulled up but the quick ascent caused the chopper to stall or make an erratic maneuver that caused it to go down. Just so tragic, regardless.
Nothing changes the tragic outcome but it’s difficult to imagine an advanced machine like that suddenly facing a mountain, regardless of the visibility. Very sad indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom