To all our posters residing in Florida | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

To all our posters residing in Florida

I posted this on the off-topic forum...worth a look if you have friends/family in southwest Florida. Local NBC TV station continuous weather coverage.

Home
Thank you from the wanna be storm chaser. I've been watching all day, but this is also a good source.

Thank you from the wanna be storm chaser. I've been watching all day, but this is also a good source.
Ahhhhhh, the armchair storm chaser. Having lived in Jacksonville, Florida (as well as living in Houston) and going through many hurricanes, armchair storm chasing is the best way to do it.

Yeah, probably drove everyone crazy until they finally gave in and accepted them into the Big 12.

If only such things applied to UMass.
Y’all talking about randygoUCF?

From Fort Myers today
00390291-9BB5-4DDD-AB4B-77D9B1B933D6.jpeg
680EF01B-3988-4151-9366-E12FC9996AA2.jpeg
137FE1AB-51CB-454B-9BE2-66ED2E4F77F9.jpeg

Damn.

Stay safe broski.
Thoughts and prayers for you and others going through this and through the clean up. As long as you have your lives, you have everything, the other stuff is just that, stuff, it can be replaced. You and your loved ones cannot be replaced. Stay safe.
These are from my friends brother down there, I’m happy to report never to have to deal with such things, as I told my wife today when it starts snowing up here in Syracuse remind me not to complain!

What are in Ft Myers. I live in SE Cape and I'm waiting on reports from neighbors who stayed.

Collier (Naples) and Lee (Ft. Myers) counties got hit hard. They were somewhat surprised by the last minute turn of the storm which was headed towards Sarasota/Tampa for the longest time. As of 24 hours before it hit, Ft. Myers and Naples looked to be in the clear. :(

Collier (Naples) and Lee (Ft. Myers) counties got hit hard. They were somewhat surprised by the last minute turn of the storm which was headed towards Sarasota/Tampa for the longest time. As of 24 hours before it hit, Ft. Myers and Naples looked to be in the clear. :(
Cape Coral is in Lee.

Edit
I meant to type area but typed are in my question.

Sitting here in North Myrtle Beach (18th Floor) watching Ian's storm surge bashing the dunes below. Ian made landfall just about at high tide. Looks like waves about 5-6 feet. Looking out the back I see the intersection about 3 feet under water.

All-in-all, we have been very lucky. Myrtle Beach and Charleston got hit harder but nothing compared to our friends in Florida. My brother is in a nursing home in St Petersburg so we are grateful he didn't have to get evacuated. Had St Pete been hit directly it would have been another Ft Myers.

Every politician should take note of the devastation that runs across state lines when natural disasters strike - it could be your state. Hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, floods, tornadoes, snow storms know no arbitrary lines. We all need to support each other.

Here's hoping Orange in Florida and the Carolinas are safe.

Last edited:
I've lived in the Keys for 21 years and haven't evacuated yet, which means I've lived through Wilma and Irma. But Ian is the weirdest I have seen. It was barely a tropical storm with winds 33-low forty's, but with gusts to 80-90mph when it passed by. It was on the Gulf side of the Island and caused most of it's damage by the ocean surge. When it picked up to a cat 5, I can imagine how scary it got. This is the future with climate change. Stay safe! It's headed north.

mom's condo.JPG

This is my mom's condo in Daytona Beach. The sea wall failed and the low end of the pool cracked. I am a half hour north in Palm Coast. I drove around yesterday and it was clear that there was some flooding, but it has dissipated. I know that the Flagler Beach pier has been damaged.

I've lived in the Keys for 21 years and haven't evacuated yet, which means I've lived through Wilma and Irma. But Ian is the weirdest I have seen. It was barely a tropical storm with winds 33-low forty's, but with gusts to 80-90mph when it passed by. It was on the Gulf side of the Island and caused most of it's damage by the ocean surge. When it picked up to a cat 5, I can imagine how scary it got. This is the future with climate change. Stay safe! It's headed north.
I'm no meteorologist, but it sure seems that if a tropical storm or hurricane makes it to the gulf, it's bad news for someone.

View attachment 220598
This is my mom's condo in Daytona Beach. The sea wall failed and the low end of the pool cracked. I am a half hour north in Palm Coast. I drove around yesterday and it was clear that there was some flooding, but it has dissipated. I know that the Flagler Beach pier has been damaged.
Glad you and your mother are safe. I hope the clean up goes well and repairs are quick.

If I recall from my days when I lived in Jacksonville and Green Cove Springs, the Daytona beaches were deep, several hundred feet deep. Is the water still high or are they going to need to do beach repairs?

P.S. Palm Coast was a beautiful area in the mid 2000's, I hope it wasn't hit too hard and still is.

I'm no meteorologist, but it sure seems that if a tropical storm or hurricane makes it to the gulf, it's bad news for someone.
This is generally a true statement because the gulf waters stay warm longer, which then "feeds" the storm. Like you, I am not an expert, I've just been through several hurricanes. I liken it to the great lakes and lake effect snow.

Glad you and your mother are safe. I hope the clean up goes well and repairs are quick.

If I recall from my days when I lived in Jacksonville and Green Cove Springs, the Daytona beaches were deep, several hundred feet deep. Is the water still high or are they going to need to do beach repairs?

P.S. Palm Coast was a beautiful area in the mid 2000's, I hope it wasn't hit too hard and still is.
My mom sent a video yesterday and there was no beach, the water went up and beyond where the sea wall is/was. I was worried about the foundation of my mom's condo. Inspectors have been checking it out and there was talk of an evacuation, but not yet. I think the building will be ok. Palm Coast looks good, I haven't been over the bridge to the beach side yet. But, my brother has a condo over there and he and his wife said that it isn't too bad. We were lucky. So, if you come back to Palm Coast, it will still be beautiful, but expect it to be different, as the population has tripled since 2000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom