Tobias Wolff "This Boy's Life" full movie | Syracusefan.com

Tobias Wolff "This Boy's Life" full movie

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Just as a little background on why this movie hit home for me.

For one, I grew up in the era, like Jack I was brought up by a single, divorced mom who had to get out of an abusive relationship.

Secondly, Robert De Niro and I knew each other as kids. His grandparents lived about 8 doors up from me and he used to spend time during the summers with them.

Thirdly, Tobias Wolff, who this movie was about professored at Syracuse University from 1980 to 1997.

I don't know if I liked this more than maybe you will, but I thought it was very well done and captured a lot of what a kid from a broken family went through back in the fifties. Divorce was not as common as it is today and the norm was a two parent family unit.

Enjoy!

Just as a little background on why this movie hit home for me.

For one, I grew up in the era, like Jack I was brought up by a single, divorced mom who had to get out of an abusive relationship.

Secondly, Robert De Niro and I knew each other as kids. His grandparents lived about 8 doors up from me and he used to spend time during the summers with them.

Thirdly, Tobias Wolff, who this movie was about professored at Syracuse University from 1980 to 1997.

I don't know if I liked this more than maybe you will, but I thought it was very well done and captured a lot of what a kid from a broken family went through back in the fifties. Divorce was not as common as it is today and the norm was a two parent family unit.

Enjoy!

So your saying "you know a thing or two about a thing or two"?

No, great movie and great performances by all the principals imo. Met Wolff when he was living in town and I have a signed first edition of This Boy's Life in my collection. Ironic little story. His kid and my kid were in catechism class together. There is a scene in the movie where Toby is playing on the high school basketball team. His stepfather Dwight, won't spring for a pair of sneakers so Toby has to play in his shoes, which of course is near impossible and he slips and slides all over the floor. Anyway, the ironic part is that his kid wore the most expensive pair of Nike's you could buy at the time.

I read the book about 20 years ago. I don't remember watching the movie. I'll check it out.

I read the book about 20 years ago. I don't remember watching the movie. I'll check it out.

I saw the movie about 20 years ago. I never read the book though. I might check it out.

I was admitted to the fiction workshop in a semester when he wasn't teaching it. I'd like to say unfortunately, but I can't because the professor that taught it that semester, Michael Martone, was awesome. I did have Mary Karr for a few classes, including a poetry workshop, in Spring and Fall of 92.

I was admitted to the fiction workshop in a semester when he wasn't teaching it. I'd like to say unfortunately, but I can't because the professor that taught it that semester, Michael Martone, was awesome. I did have Mary Karr for a few classes, including a poetry workshop, in Spring and Fall of 92.

There were quite a few great writers around at that time (80's and 90's). Raymond Carver, Tess Gallagher, Stephen Dobyns, Douglas Unger (nephew of John Gardner), Jay McInerney, Robert Olmstead, to name a few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom