Tom Izzo at his PC today | Syracusefan.com

Tom Izzo at his PC today

College basketball has been hit with a Mike Tyson upper cut this season and im sure theres enough evidence to just totally shut down some major programs but that will never happen because theres too much money to be made/ lose for some people. The world is evil, money comes before character and doing what’s right.

No part of that was handled well.
I thought the reporter asked solid questions and Izzo totally bombed it. How could he be so poorly prepped for that, it's not as if he hasn't been so consumed by this subject in the last week. He is so screwed if that is how is going to defend himself.

Unless you're pure as the driven snow, one needs to retain a crisis coordinator asap. Alternatively, by all means go with the truth if that works for you.

I'll never understand why the schools and conferences throw these guys to the sharks in situations like this. Same with JB after the Bernie Fine situation broke. They should simply cancel the press conference when they know the coach is going to get killed on subjects they aren't prepared to face the media about. So little upside in conducting the press conference and incredibly huge downside.

If you feel like someone has to meet the press, flip the tables and send someone out that is prepared to address the non-basketball topic and let them flounder if someone actually asks why the coach insisted on playing zone instead of man.

Any PR person associated with this should be fired.

He sounded stupid, he looked foolish and seemed shaken, unprepared.

I am in disbelief of how bad this was.

He knows that he let a couple rapists play on his team with nary a slap on the wrist, and that his career is probably ending, and that rather than leaving as one of the eight or ten best coaches of all time, he’s going to leave in disgrace. This was handled poorly, but I do think it’s more symptom than cause.

I'll never understand why the schools and conferences throw these guys to the sharks in situations like this. Same with JB after the Bernie Fine situation broke. They should simply cancel the press conference when they know the coach is going to get killed. So little upside in conducting the press conference and incredibly huge downside.
Or have them read a prepared statement and take basketball only questions. IIRC, isn't that what JAB did. At least was supposed to do, until he went off on a tangent and decided to editorialize it.

I'll never understand why the schools and conferences throw these guys to the sharks in situations like this. Same with JB after the Bernie Fine situation broke. They should simply cancel the press conference when they know the coach is going to get killed. So little upside in conducting the press conference and incredibly huge downside.
You can't hide from the press. It makes it much worse. Reporter; I wanted to ask coach Izzo the following questions but he refused to show up at the interview that he has been having for the 20+ years he has been coaching.

He knows that he let a couple racists play on his team with nary a slap on the wrist, and that his career is probably ending, and that rather than leaving as one of the eight or ten best coaches of all time, he’s going to leave in disgrace. This was handled poorly, but I do think it’s more symptom than cause.
Racists? and Rapists? He Gone!!!

Or have them read a prepared statement and take basketball only questions. IIRC, isn't that what JAB did. At least was supposed to do, until he went off on a tangent and decided to editorialize it.
That is the answer. any question not about basketball is met with, I will have a statement about that shortly. Next question.

You can't hide from the press. It makes it much worse. Reporter; I wanted to ask coach Izzo the following questions but he refused to show up at the interview that he has been having for the 20+ years he has been coaching.

And the fact that he didn't show up will be forgotten in a day or two. When he attempts to answer and steps both feet in dog dirt it will follow him forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom