Tommy | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy

TD needs game reps. Hopefully our D can shut Maryland down and specials can win field position. Its going to be a very tough game.

Quite the limb you’re on ... “maybe it will”

That was my whole point. Dino is not worried, Tommy is not worried, why should we worry?

Maryland’s D is on tape. They know what to prepare for.

What kind of D do you think Maryland rolled out against Howard?

I don’t want to start a separate thread just to ask this question, but did anyone go watch the game at the state fair?

Yes it was lagging by about 5ish mins which was frustrating. It was too light in the Expo center so you couldn’t see the large screen projector...ended up moving and watching the game at the beer garden there which was also showing it

First interception was a late throw and was underthrown... that's the only reason it was picked instead of being a long touchdown. Being underthrown allowed the DB to catch up and make the play.
Not the only reason. Johnson didn't fight a lick for that ball. Should have been knocked down by Johnson, at worst. Amba, Ish and Custis all get that ball.

I'm confused.

In the first paragraph you indicate that the woes of the passing game were associated with an unanticipated defense.

In the second you seem to indicate that Tommy had a bad individual game ("his worst of the season")

Many of the problems I saw in the passing game were associated with execution on the part of the QB and the WR (individually or both).

We'll see how much progress in made by next Saturday. We won't get past MD with the passing offense we saw against Liberty.
Maybe we will, maybe we won't or maybe the passing game does improve and we win or lose. We can win a game on defense and ST and a solid running game. It wouldn't be pretty, but it's certainly possible.

Youre reading comprehension is a bit off. I said dungey didnt have a game as uninspiring as devito’s yesterday. Not that he never had a bad game. And you have to figure in the opponent as well. The miami game you mentioned was against one of the best defenses in the country, whereas yesterday we played liberty. So, not only do you cite bad facts but you ignore obvious flaws in the comparisons.

I dont want to continue down this path though because it will come off as overly negative against devito. One game does not define a career. On to the next.
I think my reading comprehension is pretty good.

I guess i need to know what you meant by uninspiring. I took it to mean a poor performance but you seem to have given it another meaning.

What exactly did you mean by uninspiring?

That was my whole point. Dino is not worried, Tommy is not worried, why should we worry?

I’m optimistic he will be better against Maryland but I can’t deal with this narrative.

Maryland’s D is on tape... yay!!! But, hear me out, what if they throw a different defense at us!? Whatever will we do?? Turtle up, pun intended, and throw a million screens because the downfield passing attack is a disaster?

That’s a scary indictment of our coaching staffs ability to adjust if we were so flummoxed by Liberty’s defense. I refuse to believe that’s the case. Maybe a tiny bit of it, but if I’m leaning towards excuses - I’m hanging my hat on Tommy had a bad day and we didn’t want to put much on tape for Maryland.

Dino is not worried? How would you know that?

Because he says he's not worried to the Press?

Condensed game on YouTube
Pick end of half was to first guy it got deflected and helicoptered back bad luck again we are fortunate to struggle in a win
We will need to be better for sure
I was able to get the full replay on espn+. Not on my PC, but on the roku app...

So many pessimistic takes from last night. The passing game wasn't

If only we had some way of knowing that he might have the tools and mindset to be a decent QB. Oh wait, that's right, he played some last year. Mixed results, to be sure, but he looked pretty good in a couple. For example, if Dino didn't replace ED with TD against UNC, we lose that game. He looked fine against FSU (I know, might as well have been Rutgers,lol). Let's slow down with all the negativity and hold off on writing off the next 3 seasons until at least next Saturday, can we?

Yeah, okay. If that's what you interpreted from my post that's a you thing, and/or your reading comprehension prowess or lack thereof. "All the negativity and hold off on writing off the next 3 seasons until next Saturday." What a foolish comment.

FWIW, in those two games you cited, Tommy's patience, etc. was not being challenged in the same capacity. The defenses weren't scheming/taking away the long ball, etc. and Tommy was able to execute in his apparent comfort zone, gunslinging. Last year's UNC late inning fast ball reliever mode epitomizes the "gunslinger" that he seemingly is...according to his own coach.

Last edited:
I don't get the "take away those plays" stuff. Why would we take them away? Why not say, "If you take those 2 int's away, he didn't throw a pick the whole game."?
Those plays happened. Someone earlier mentioned if you take away Moe's 42 yard run, he only had 42 yards on 13 carries. Why are we taking his run away?
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.
These days, your aunt doesn’t even need balls to be your uncle.

It was too light in the Expo center so you couldn’t see the large screen projector...
This is why we switched from EFTE to PFTE.

I’m optimistic he will be better against Maryland but I can’t deal with this narrative.

Maryland’s D is on tape... yay!!! But, hear me out, what if they throw a different defense at us!? Whatever will we do?? Turtle up, pun intended, and throw a million screens because the downfield passing attack is a disaster?

That’s a scary indictment of our coaching staffs ability to adjust if we were so flummoxed by Liberty’s defense. I refuse to believe that’s the case. Maybe a tiny bit of it, but if I’m leaning towards excuses - I’m hanging my hat on Tommy had a bad day and we didn’t want to put much on tape for Maryland.
In today's presser he said the passing game timing was off due to the amount of practice missed by the WRs this preseason.

That seems more believable. The other stuff sounds like trying to be respectful to your opponent.

In today's presser he said the passing game timing was off due to the amount of practice missed by the WRs this preseason.

That seems more believable. The other stuff sounds like trying to be respectful to your opponent.

That may be part of it but not close to all of it. Some of these guys didn’t miss anything but even more so, them not working together had nothing to do with tommy putting some passes 10 feet over their heads and out of bounds.

That may be part of it but not close to all of it. Some of these guys didn’t miss anything but even more so, them not working together had nothing to do with tommy putting some passes 10 feet over their heads and out of bounds.
Sure. Not sure that needs to be said in a presser, though.

Yeah, okay. If that's what you interpreted from my post that's a you thing, and/or your reading comprehension prowess or lack thereof. "All the negativity and hold off on writing off the next 3 seasons until next Saturday." What a foolish comment.

FWIW, in those two games you cited, Tommy's patience, etc. was not being challenged in the same capacity. The defenses weren't scheming/taking away the long ball, etc. and Tommy was able to execute in his apparent comfort zone, gunslinging. Last year's UNC late inning fast ball reliever mode epitomizes the "gunslinger" that he seemingly is...according to his own coach.
Sorry my post came as a reply to yours as it's not really relevant to what you wrote. I was replying to the thread on my phone so maybe I had originally started a reply to your post, stopped, backspaced and then posted a general reply based on other posts and it kept yours. It happens sometimes when i'm posting from my phone in a thread with a lot of activity and my reply gets pushed off screen.
Aside: does this happen to anyone else on a samsung phone?

The first interception - it’s 4th and 3, whose fault was that? Why the heck was the call to throw long in that scenario? Bad call by staff and bad decision by QB.

Two years ago, the call in that situation would’ve been a 5 yard curl to Ervin Phillips. Had a 90% success rate. We need to identify the WR who can make that play consistently.

The first interception - it’s 4th and 3, whose fault was that? Why the heck was the call to throw long in that scenario? Bad call by staff and bad decision by QB.

Two years ago, the call in that situation would’ve been a 5 yard curl to Ervin Phillips. Had a 90% success rate. We need to identify the WR who can make that play consistently.
Really don’t like the long ball on 4th and short/intermediate. Bad call.

I like the fact that TD can throw screen passes as that was something Ryan really struggled with.

Liberty hit him early and that seemed to set a bit of a tone in his mind. This in my opinion is something TD has to work on, not letting an early rush/pressure get in his head for the rest of the game. It's hard to do, but I'm sure he'll adjust. This is on the OL and WR's as well and you are absolutley right about Nassib getting better once the line was improved.
Ryan Nassib isn't the only one who struggled with screen passes. Most of the time, the back had to leave his feet and make a one handed grab with Dungey's screen pass.

And doesnt md have a new coaching staff this year. Do we really have the tape on them after playing howard?