Tommy's Alamo | Syracusefan.com

Tommy's Alamo

SU94

Starter
T.DeVito is very likely to grow and improve from "this." He's likely never faced pressure and adversity like the last two weeks and he has struggled with it (while also showing some terrific flashes that have me pretty excited). I severely doubt he is going to throw a "silly" interception every game of his career. He's too talented, too driven, too smart for that to happen.

History Lesson:
Sept. 12, 1998, Michigan at home against our Orangemen. Junior QB Tom Brady, making his second career start, went 13-for-24 for 104 yards with one TD and one INT (on the opening drive). He got knocked out of the game, and later benched for Drew Hensen. SU led 38-7 entering the 4th quarter. By game's end, TB was on the verge of losing his starting job to Drew Hensen. In 2005, Brady called it, "probably the worst defeat I've ever had."

My point: there is a learning curve for the vast majority of quarterbacks, including those of the 4-star variety, like DeVito.

Closer to home, 15 years later, Ryan Nassib was not an immediate success at SU, but by the end of his career, he was one of the top 8-10 QBs in college football.

DeVito is going to be very good for Syracuse the next 3 years. In the Fall of 2022, we'll miss him much like some are pining for the ghost of Dungey right now.

Note: Brady and Michigan rebounded from an 0-2 start (L20-36 at ND, L28-38 vs. SU) to rattle off 8 straight wins, and after a loss to Ohio State, beat #11 Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl.

(BTW, Bills fan and not a TB Lover Boy)

I hope you are right. I remember early Soph Nassib and thinking this kid is going to be really good. I don’t feel the same about DeVito. Maybe it is due to the higher expectations of being a highly rated recruit.

I hope you are right. I remember early Soph Nassib and thinking this kid is going to be really good. I don’t feel the same about DeVito. Maybe it is due to the higher expectations of being a highly rated recruit.

That sums it up. Remember Hunter Johnson, the five star from Clemson who transferred to Northwestern? He was the #1 overall QB in his class and is playing worse than Devito right now with 220 total yards in two games this season. He's also a RS Sophomore. Give these guys a full season before you jump off of the ledge.

Let us not forget that the young man has been running for his life since the first game. Also lets be cognizant of the fact that the wide receiver corps has been AWOL since the first game. They can't get open, at one point so far each has had ten thumbs and one in particular has alligator arms whenever a defender is near. Another One has seven catches for 9 yards. True Freshman Luke Benson looks like he has a bright future. In my humble opinion they need to start giving some other guys first team practice reps and then a shot in the game. The current group other than Jackson is not getting it done. Go Orange!!!!!!

That sums it up. Remember Hunter Johnson, the five star from Clemson who transferred to Northwestern? He was the #1 overall QB in his class and is playing worse than Devito right now with 220 total yards in two games this season. He's also a RS Sophomore. Give these guys a full season before you jump off of the ledge.

Holding a highly rated recruit to higher standards should be the case. Of the Top 25 ypg passers, 5 are underclassmen. Of the Top 50, there are 12. Tommy is the 18th highest underclassman.

.....beat #11 Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl.

I was there for that game then kept heading south later that week to see us get beaten down by Florida in the Orange Bowl for McNabb's last game.

Holding a highly rated recruit to higher standards should be the case. Of the Top 25 ypg passers, 5 are underclassmen. Of the Top 50, there are 12. Tommy is the 18th highest underclassman.

Why? Expectations are weird. What power do we have if he fails to meet them? Booing? Message boarding?

I prefer to sit back and watch him fight to get better. If he doesn't, Dino will make hard choices. If he does, it's fun to root him on towards his potential. That's what made Eric so fun to root for in his last year - dude worked to get better and saw a 10 win season at the helm. We know TD has work to do now. Let's see it.

Maybe it is due to the higher expectations of being a highly rated recruit.
I think this is the crux of the frustration, right there. Expectations and the good/bad that come from it.

I also expected a little more from DeVito through three games. But all day Sunday, I asked myself why? He started one game last year (against generationally poor FSU) and saw significant time against UNC (hero in smaller sample) and ND (rough results against Top 5 team/neutral site). Mixed results there. I also remember a rugged patch at Western Michigan in the opener.

Now and again, QBs come along that come out firing as freshman (or first-year starters). But those seem to be the exception, not the norm.

I am a DeVito believer, but I am not going to get caught up in unrealistic expectations. Especially this year. He's going to need to grow into the speed of the game, the specific gameplanning against him (not Dungey), the leadership element (he does not yet own this like Dungey did, nor should he as a first-year starter), and the media scrutiny that comes with being the starter.

I am also personally anxious to continue my investment in him as SU's starting QB for about the next 35 games, give or take. DeVito does not owe me anything. I was not sold a bill of good. I just have to keep watching and wait for the click.

Anybody see Dino’s presser today ? Explains what I can’t

Good presser felt he was fair explaining things

Here is to looking forward and hopefully watching Tommy torch Western Michigan!

Does Tommy's Alamo have a basement?

image.png

Let us not forget that the young man has been running for his life since the first game. Also lets be cognizant of the fact that the wide receiver corps has been AWOL since the first game. They can't get open, at one point so far each has had ten thumbs and one in particular has alligator arms whenever a defender is near. Another One has seven catches for 9 yards. True Freshman Luke Benson looks like he has a bright future. In my humble opinion they need to start giving some other guys first team practice reps and then a shot in the game. The current group other than Jackson is not getting it done. Go Orange!

The wrs been awol since last season, other than jackson v md.

Does Tommy's Alamo have a basement?

View attachment 170049

I don't know but it has no back door.

Personality: Maury Maverick, Jr.

"When John F. Kennedy arrived in town during his presidential campaign, (Congressman Maury) Maverick gave him a tour of the Alamo. Crowds hovered to catch a glimpse of the handsome candidate, who commented to Maverick: "Get me out the back door of the Alamo. I've got to catch a plane for Houston." Unaware a reporter was standing next to him, Maury Jr. replied: "There is no back door. That's why they were all heroes."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom