Tons of offers and ounces on verbals | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tons of offers and ounces on verbals

These kids haven't even finished their junior years of high school. I'm not too worried about it.
Thats true and a little concerning issue. So early in the process of their physical and academic development. They are ALL further ahead in life then I was at their age. My real education began after high school and college. The difference was ,I was ready to learn and expand my educational base. When learning becomes the student's idea the subject matter becomes easily absorbed. I hated the formal structure of read and test. I still have a small piece of asharp pencil near the wrist of my right hand when prior to a regents exam ,I was so nervous I jammed it into myself. I remember it vividly, it was so tramatic to me. The pre-exam not the impaling. I pass the exam as I did all of my regemts and earned a regents diploma much to my surprise. My advice to the young is never stop reading.:cool:

The ROI seems to be down at the momentTwo verbalsafter about 5075 offers out there seems slim Now maybe that "Return on Investment" pays off later this year but its frustrating now.couchburn
We for the first time in a decade plus are playing first hand with the big boys, and they don't like it very much, but there we stand. Last year we were watching them, this year we are standing amongst them. We have our foot on the Merry-go-round at least so as long as we hang on tight and don't fall off, we just may have our own permanent spot there for years to come. Regardless, I like the positive approach this coaching staff has. We have to put our faith in them that they are on to something, so lets be in their corner!

Thats true and a little concerning issue. So early in the process of their physical and academic development. They are ALL further ahead in life then I was at their age. My real education began after high school and college. The difference was ,I was ready to learn and expand my educational base. When learning becomes the student's idea the subject matter becomes easily absorbed. I hated the formal structure of read and test. I still have a small piece of asharp pencil near the wrist of my right hand when prior to a regents exam ,I was so nervous I jammed it into myself. I remember it vividly, it was so tramatic to me. The pre-exam not the impaling. I pass the exam as I did all of my regemts and earned a regents diploma much to my surprise. My advice to the young is never stop reading.:cool:

My advice to you is to stop using pencils altogether ...

The ROI seems to be down at the momentTwo verbalsafter about 5075 offers out there seems slim Now maybe that "Return on Investment" pays off later this year but its frustrating now.couchburn
Cali, by the way, I think we have almost 400 pounds of committment at RB and QB! That is well over 6000 ounces my man!

Outside of Pitt and Wake, the other ACC teams are averaging around 10 commits right now. So we do seem to be in the minority. Why that is, I have my own theories but it's probably not worth speculating on. We'll see if all this means something later in the cycle.

What's your theory?

The more you know the further you'll go!

gijoe.jpg

What's your theory?

Can't speak for supp, but living in Virginia, where we do have alot of respect as a BB program, when FB is mentioned, you get questions or statements like, do they play in Div I? or I thought they just played Lacrosse, or my always favorite, they have a FB program? So, we have a reputation problem. #1 We come from the Big East Conference. The Big East has been an embarrassment in CFB, so we have that over our shoulder. #2 Syracuse: The city has a reputation for nasty weather. Its also in the middle of nowhere. Even NYC kids don't want to come there, it has always been a challenge as it is a big misconception as upsate NY is actually a pretty cool place. #3 Kids growing up have known us as the bottom feeders of the worst conference in CFB. Kids develop an interest in a program when they are young and by the time they are Freshmens have pretty much chosen the teams they like and dream they could play for. Since we really have just started turning that perception around the last few years, I expect that to change a little this year, and more so in future years if we keep playing well, and play good marquee teams, something we weren't doing in teh Big East.

Kids have short memories, so our future looks bright. This could be the year to forsee if my perception is correct. Great schedule, plenty of TV coverage and in the ACC. Boy, that sounds pretty damn good to me than that Pitt we had to crawl out off! (No pun intended there Pittsburgh!)

If the "young never stop reading" they won’t have time to procreate and the species will die off, kind of like the Pandas. Thanks a lot, Cali.

Cali, by the way, I think we have almost 400 pounds of committment at RB and QB! That is well over 6000 ounces my man!
Damn, I should have gone metric.- I know that the two we have are "solid" I appreciate that and am happy about that. I'm just thinking that the rapid offerings would hit some kid with a positive response,is all.Decaf isn't enough.
Yeah sure. This was a regents exam, no freaking choice in the matter in the 60s.

Can't speak for supp, but living in Virginia, where we do have alot of respect as a BB program, when FB is mentioned, you get questions or statements like, do they play in Div I? or I thought they just played Lacrosse, or my always favorite, they have a FB program? So, we have a reputation problem.

umm... these people you are talking to sound really dumb.

I don't know any real specifics about say... Marshall as a football team (coach, players, etc.)... but I know they have one and they play division 1 in conference USA, because I follow cuse and college football in general.

Anyone that really follows college football knows syracuse plays division 1 football, sorry.

And BTW, Big East was a lame conference for FB, but the prior ACC was right there with it as pretty damn lame for football as well.

I don't know any real specifics about say... Marshall as a football team (coach, players, etc.)... but I know they have one and they play division 1 in conference USA, because I follow cuse and college football in general.

Anyone that really follows college football knows syracuse plays division 1 football, sorry.

And BTW, Big East was a lame conference for FB, but the prior ACC was right there with it as pretty damn lame for football as well.
Probably meant it as a joke. Bunch of comedians down there.

Can't speak for supp, but living in Virginia, where we do have alot of respect as a BB program, when FB is mentioned, you get questions or statements like, do they play in Div I? or I thought they just played Lacrosse, or my always favorite, they have a FB program? So, we have a reputation problem. #1 We come from the Big East Conference. The Big East has been an embarrassment in CFB, so we have that over our shoulder. #2 Syracuse: The city has a reputation for nasty weather. Its also in the middle of nowhere. Even NYC kids don't want to come there, it has always been a challenge as it is a big misconception as upsate NY is actually a pretty cool place. #3 Kids growing up have known us as the bottom feeders of the worst conference in CFB. Kids develop an interest in a program when they are young and by the time they are Freshmens have pretty much chosen the teams they like and dream they could play for. Since we really have just started turning that perception around the last few years, I expect that to change a little this year, and more so in future years if we keep playing well, and play good marquee teams, something we weren't doing in teh Big East.

Kids have short memories, so our future looks bright. This could be the year to forsee if my perception is correct. Great schedule, plenty of TV coverage and in the ACC. Boy, that sounds pretty damn good to me than that Pitt we had to crawl out off! (No pun intended there Pittsburgh!)

we do have a perception problem. almost every single kid who is interviewed when asked what he knows about Syracuse the typical response is..."I don't know much about the school, but I know they have a real good basketball program." That's good for the hoops program to have such widespread national recognition like that, but not so good for football. it gives the perception that we only care about hoops. lets face if these kids are good enough to be recruited by Syracuse they most likely are being recruited by a bunch other bcs schools as well. they develop a bit of an ego, and nobody wants to go somewhere that they feel they will be treated as the 2nd most important program on campus.

L:ame in performance I would agree, but with Miami, FSU and Clemson regardless of their poor performances, they always garnered much more respect than the BE ever had. I agree the ACC has alot of work to do, performance in Non-Con to start, then kick some ass come bowl time. They did better this year, and hopefully with the adds, we can rise to the top.

we do have a perception problem. almost every single kid who is interviewed when asked what he knows about Syracuse the typical response is..."I don't know much about the school, but I know they have a real good basketball program." That's good for the hoops program to have such widespread national recognition like that, but not so good for football. it gives the perception that we only care about hoops. lets face if these kids are good enough to be recruited by Syracuse they most likely are being recruited by a bunch other bcs schools as well. they develop a bit of an ego, and nobody wants to go somewhere that they feel they will be treated as the 2nd most important program on campus.
We do have a student problem when it comes to supporting the football team. Where were they during the spring game? Hardly any student athletes attended to show support. The student section is much more active for basketball. Heck, they didn't even show up for the lacrosse game! That my friends is the difference between games down south and what we cal at home at the doom. I have been to both VT and Virginia, and the students come out in force. Same for West Virginia when I went there. Maryland, lousy student section, even worse than ours. That isn't the case for BB, if we lose a game or two like last year early, our own blogs are saying BB season is right around the corner. Syracuse is not a huge city any longer, and the Alums are quite far, would be nice to see the students support the FB team as well as BB.

Another perception issue is going away, hopefully. And that is our facilities for the football program. Right now it is just a vision, once it is reality and we bring the kids in to see that, now we got something else to excite them.

We do have a student problem when it comes to supporting the football team. Where were they during the spring game? Hardly any student athletes attended to show support. The student section is much more active for basketball. Heck, they didn't even show up for the lacrosse game! That my friends is the difference between games down south and what we cal at home at the doom. I have been to both VT and Virginia, and the students come out in force. Same for West Virginia when I went there. Maryland, lousy student section, even worse than ours. That isn't the case for BB, if we lose a game or two like last year early, our own blogs are saying BB season is right around the corner. Syracuse is not a huge city any longer, and the Alums are quite far, would be nice to see the students support the FB team as well as BB.

Another perception issue is going away, hopefully. And that is our facilities for the football program. Right now it is just a vision, once it is reality and we bring the kids in to see that, now we got something else to excite them.

students really only show up big time for 1 or 2 home games a year for hoops. students here are worthless, i'm more worried about the local fan support.

What's your theory?

Don't want to stir the too much but it's the same concern I've had for a while. I think spending a lot of time in the Midwest states other than neighboring Ohio is a waste of our resources. Unless you have a clear "in" with someone out there, we're not going to beat the local B!G schools for many kids we want. It's also an area where populations are stagnating or declining relative to other parts of the country (so longterm, competition for kids is only going to get tougher). I realize Lester and Smith and others have roots there but they're recruiting for Syracuse now. I'd like to see them spend more time working kids and building networks in our own region. The two commits we have are from NY and PA, which have always been our bread and butter. Competition is tough in our region too, with Rutgers going to the B1G and Addazio was a lights out recruiter for us in the 1990s, so can't just expect results. I'd also like to see them spending more of their time in Florida and Georgia and the mid-Atlantic which is in our conference's footprint and is growing at a much faster rate than their old stomping grounds. GA alone produces more D-1 athletes than the upper Midwest combined.

It's unfortunate but recruiting today is all about attention. The more the kid gets, the more likely it is that he'll commit. My fear is that they're spreading themselves too thin. But we'll see. I think the camps will give us a better idea of where they stand with some of their major targets (if they aren't committed elsewhere by then).

I didn't take the time to do the math but did you include the three teams I singled out in your stats? I'd like to know what the number is without the three stragglers.

Even removing them it would be slightly over 6, but you really can't figure in Louisville in as they don't join until 2014 and they have 13. Doing that and removing Pitt and Wake would be under 5, removing Louisville and keepin Pitt and Wake would bring the average to 5.

Don't want to stir the too much but it's the same concern I've had for a while. I think spending a lot of time in the Midwest states other than neighboring Ohio is a waste of our resources. Unless you have a clear "in" with someone out there, we're not going to beat the local B!G schools for many kids we want. It's also an area where populations are stagnating or declining relative to other parts of the country (so longterm, competition for kids is only going to get tougher). I realize Lester and Smith and others have roots there but they're recruiting for Syracuse now. I'd like to see them spend more time working kids and building networks in our own region. The two commits we have are from NY and PA, which have always been our bread and butter. Competition is tough in our region too, with Rutgers going to the B1G and Addazio was a lights out recruiter for us in the 1990s, so can't just expect results. I'd also like to see them spending more of their time in Florida and Georgia and the mid-Atlantic which is in our conference's footprint and is growing at a much faster rate than their old stomping grounds. GA alone produces more D-1 athletes than the upper Midwest combined.

It's unfortunate but recruiting today is all about attention. The more the kid gets, the more likely it is that he'll commit. My fear is that they're spreading themselves too thin. But we'll see. I think the camps will give us a better idea of where they stand with some of their major targets (if they aren't committed elsewhere by then).

I have been posting some of the 2014 offers and from what I see the staff seems to be concentrating on the Atlanta, Chicago, Eastern triangle of PA (Harrisburg, Scranton, Philly) and Southern Florida with some MD,NJ thrown in. I don't see much time being spent in the west accept for reports of JUCO visits. Also tweets seem to indicated that Moore and Lea are in GA, Perles and Daoust in PA...and of course McDonald in Fl.

I have been posting some of the 2014 offers and from what I see the staff seems to be concentrating on the Atlanta, Chicago, Eastern triangle of PA (Harrisburg, Scranton, Philly) and Southern Florida with some MD,NJ thrown in. I don't see much time being spent in the west accept for reports of JUCO visits. Also tweets seem to indicated that Moore and Lea are in GA, Perles and Daoust in PA...and of course McDonald in Fl.
You know, the majority of the jucos that we've heard about have been from California. I wonder why that is. Is JUCO football in Cali a big deal? Are the majority of bigtime JUCO programs concentrated out west?

You know, the majority of the jucos that we've heard about have been from California. I wonder why that is. Is JUCO football in Cali a big deal? Are the majority of bigtime JUCO programs concentrated out west?

I was actually thinking about a recent visit to Iowa Western where the staff were checking out Davis, Herron and Zimmerman. Iowa Western has a very good football program.

I would say that we have an athletic department that lacks creativity in dealing with a student population that could be a tremendous asset. Spring game - why were there not two printed tickets in the mailbox of every single student (undergrad and grad), along with every single university employee?? football season tix - given that the dome no longer fills up, why not offer student tickets at a drastically discounted rate - $50 for the season vs $99 for the cheapest seats available to the general public plus throw in a cool looking t-shirt or something. Enthusiasm doesn't generate itself after so many years of mediocrity. Also kids these days are pretty fickle and disinterested - you are going to have to do something to motivate them to get out of the dorm room despite the severe hangover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom