Tony Bennett and Jamie Dixon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bennett and Jamie Dixon

Yes he will. However, think how long that hurt our reputation, particularly Boeheim's reputation. This one was big, really big. For ever people will be saying... anything is possible, remember when UVA got spanked by a 16 seed?

Fixed

The bloom is off? They were the #1 overall seed. They lost their best player. Absolutely they still should have won. There are maybe 5-6 programs in the country that wouldn't hire Bennett immediately if he left UVA.
He's a terrific coach but what happened last night will take years to get over.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, or what the game plan is, if the players don't execute on the floor. Adolph Rupp would tell you that. :)

Any sign of "Hoo's That"? Feel bad for that dude, good rival poster who im sure is avoiding all social media, tv, newspapers, personal interaction and internet message boards for the next 2 weeks.

He'll be back around, but this has to hurt. And we all know the feeling. He posted once (I think), "Came for the lacrosse, stayed for the politics." He'll be alright.

Any sign of "Hoo's That"? Feel bad for that dude, good rival poster who im sure is avoiding all social media, tv, newspapers, personal interaction and internet message boards for the next 2 weeks.

He has been sighted in the Pat Forde - Virginia built to fail in March thread. Respect for him coming here today. I would be in bed with my head under the covers all day.

Last edited:
Their 6th man is their best player? That’s probably the biggest strike against him.

This is a good point. Yes, Hunter is their best player.

This is a good point. Yes, Hunter is their best player.

Arguably the best (and certainly a top 3) Syracuse team of the last thirty years brought its best player off the bench. It worked for su with dion and seemed to work for uva until the guy got hurt.

Yes he will. However, think how long that hurt our reputation, particularly Boeheim's reputation. This one was big, really big. For years people will be saying... anything is possible, remember when UVA got spanked by a 16 seed?

And many a 16 seed will pay the price.

I think we are all throwing dirt on his grave early. They were not that talented this year. Why did they set an ACC record... consistency and toughness. Did nobody see them at Duke or at Loiisville? They win tough games and out execute teams every game. Every game. The experts saw the wins and losses and made them what they are not. Same media burying them today. As he said post game if you put yourselves in the arena sometimes it doesn't end well. He and they are going to be PIYAs for a long time.

Great post. They were a consistent system team. In college basketball today, that can be pretty successful. But did anyone see them play Syracuse? At no point this season did I watch Virginia and think "wow, that's one of the four best teams in the country." Just because they had a great record doesn't mean they're a great team that should have no chance of losing to a mid-major.

[QUOTE="Waltdods, post: 2536681,People wanted to run jay Wright out of town in 2015 for continually choking in the big dance. Boeheim had the reputation as a choker before winning. Roy Williams too..[/QUOTE]
And there are a lot of "fans" here who want to say 2003 was a product of Melo, not JB. Just like "Since 25-0..."talk. They aways elevate the negative and ignore the positive.

[QUOTE="Waltdods, post: 2536681,People wanted to run jay Wright out of town in 2015 for continually choking in the big dance. Boeheim had the reputation as a choker before winning. Roy Williams too..
And there are a lot of "fans" here who want to say 2003 was a product of Melo, not JB. Just like "Since 25-0..."talk. They aways elevate the negative and ignore the positive.[/QUOTE]

The 25-0 squad had a couple problems late that season. First, we weren't very deep and guys started to get banged up, namely Jeremy Grant. He played at about 80% late in the year. We were a gassed team. We played like 5.5 players by the end of Feb. Also, Ennis knew he was gone by Feb and was auditioning for the NBA from the Pitt game, on. There was some stuff going on with that team. They looked like a completely different group the last 1/3 of the season.

The Dayton game was the ultimate exclamation point. We were out hustled, and Ennis deciding to jack up a three (the hero play) and not drive as JB had drawn it up just emphasized that he was gone and was playing for himself, not the team.

You can't convince me that both aren't great coaches. As JB said, look at Pitt without Dixon. I will say that TCU does not yet have the Pittsburgh toughness and that may have been more of the mismatch issue over the 21 JB/Dixon games than Dixon's in game coaching per se. We've always struggled over the years with toughness. I remember how much Kevin Freeman from UConn hurt us.

[QUOTE="PeteCalvin, post: 2537805, member: The 25-0 squad had a couple problems late that season. First, we weren't very deep and guys started to get banged up, namely Jeremy Grant. He played at about 80% late in the year. We were a gassed team. We played like 5.5 players by the end of Feb. Also, Ennis knew he was gone by Feb and was auditioning for the NBA from the Pitt game, on. There was some stuff going on with that team. They looked like a completely different group the last 1/3 of the season.

The Dayton game was the ultimate exclamation point. We were out hustled, and Ennis deciding to jack up a three (the hero play) and not drive as JB had drawn it up just emphasized that he was gone and was playing for himself, not the team.”[/QUOTE]
My God. Talk about making just a few assumptions.

I was NOT saying that JB is a bad coach, just that some take the negstive dlant on everyting. Those sam people will blame JB for all that went wrong this year but not acknowledge he did a great job getting this team to the sevond rd.

I disagree on the latter part of that. With all the best players leaving early it's become more likely. I think we'll see it happen again within 5 years.

Agree. The gap has narrowed with guys leaving the Power 5 schools early and the mid-majors/lower tier schools often having more experienced rosters that have played together a few years.That was a big key in my Mercer Bears taking down Duke imho. Granted that wasn't a 1-16 game.

The 25-0 squad had a couple problems late that season. First, we weren't very deep and guys started to get banged up, namely Jeremy Grant. He played at about 80% late in the year. We were a gassed team. We played like 5.5 players by the end of Feb. Also, Ennis knew he was gone by Feb and was auditioning for the NBA from the Pitt game, on. There was some stuff going on with that team. They looked like a completely different group the last 1/3 of the season.

The Dayton game was the ultimate exclamation point. We were out hustled, and Ennis deciding to jack up a three (the hero play) and not drive as JB had drawn it up just emphasized that he was gone and was playing for himself, not the team.
The reach you're making with your Ennis story is pretty impressive. Nowhere close to true.

And there are a lot of "fans" here who want to say 2003 was a product of Melo, not JB. Just like "Since 25-0..."talk. They aways elevate the negative and ignore the positive.

The Dayton game was the ultimate exclamation point. We were out hustled, and Ennis deciding to jack up a three (the hero play) and not drive as JB had drawn it up just emphasized that he was gone and was playing for himself, not the team.[/QUOTE]

That 25-0 team had a memorable embarrassment of it's own, losing to a 6-19 team at home, (in lousy unis).

upload_2018-3-17_23-39-30.png

That 25-0 team had a memorable embarrassment of it's own, losing to a 6-19 team at home, (in lousy unis).

View attachment 124934[/QUOTE]

blue shorts are the devil

ubge7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors