Tony Bennett retiring | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bennett retiring

Has to be health related.

Too bad - from a basketball purist standpoint, Bennett [and his father] were outstanding coaches, who fielded competitive teams at every level.

They've "owned" us to a degree. Won't be sad to see him go from that standpoint, but will be sad because he's an outstanding coach.

And saying he had just signed an extension. Seems if you were NIL burned out you would not have signed the extension, but made the decision beforehand. Again, hope he is ok, or his family is ok and someone posted that it is not his health. And hopefully not a scandal as he is one of the coaches I really admire.

This is horrible for the program. I really hope he and everyone in his family is OK, I can't think of anything else other than bad stuff. Hate to be morbid, but the chances of this not being awful are very low.
My thoughts exactly. The timing of this makes no sense unless there is something wrong. Hope it's not.

It’s reported that it’s not health related. It seems he’s disgusted with the direction of College sports similar to Saban. Good for him. I can’t imagine that this won’t happen more. Again, I hope it all implodes and the SEC and Big 10 choke on it. Screw Sankey and Petitti.

I know a few people that know Tony Bennett, they all respect him & his character/integrity deeply. I’d be shocked if it’s scandal related, certainly hope it’s not the case. In a weird way, because of hoping it’s not health related… DO hope it’s NIL burnout, but it does leave his team in a bind which isn’t great

People complain about his style of play, but the man can coach and comes across as a genuinely good person. I've spent enough time on the UVA campus the past 3 years to know he's got an impeccable reputation down there.

Hope things are OK. It'd be totally out of character for this to be anything but an emergency situation.

It’s reported that it’s not health related. It seems he’s disgusted with the direction of College sports similar to Saban. Good for him. I can’t imagine that this won’t happen more. Again, I hope it all implodes and the SEC and Big 10 choke on it. Screw Sankey and Petitti.

I can understand why.

It was a stressful profession to begin with. Now, on top of that, imagine having to re-recruit every player o your team every year, not being able to build year-over-year depth [which a program like Bennett's relies on] because guys are free to bail at intervals multiple times per year. And on top of that, having to deal with NIL related-considerations, both in terms of your existing roster and with recruits.

That's not what a lot of these coaches signed up for. I mean, under the OLD system -- recruiting never slept. Imagine that times 1000%, and that's the pressure these coaches face today. Sure, the money is great, but it just seems like a non-stop, year-round hassle under current rules.

I know a few people that know Tony Bennett, they all respect him & his character/integrity deeply. I’d be shocked if it’s scandal related, certainly hope it’s not the case. In a weird way, because of hoping it’s not health related… DO hope it’s NIL burnout, but it does leave his team in a bind which isn’t great
I agree. No way it’s a scandal. This reminds me of Bronco’s early departure. Part burnout but also just completely fed up with what is required to succeed now in college basketball. Just my guess though.

He’s gonna hold a press conference tomorrow at 11. It’s blowing up the news here in Charlottesville.

I agree. No way it’s a scandal. This reminds me of Bronco’s early departure. Part burnout but also just completely fed up with what is required to succeed now in college basketball. Just my guess though.

He’s gonna hold a press conference tomorrow at 11. It’s blowing up the news here in Charlottesville.
Bronco came back too, remember that.

Well he is 55 and he promised his family he wouldn't coach past his team's scoring average.
Shining Jack Nicholson GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom