Tony Bennett retiring | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bennett retiring

I really hope it’s not health related. Bennett seems like a really nice guy. Hopefully it was a player basically extorted them for more money and he said he had enough. But it’s a tough spot for the whole team for coach to quit mid Oct which makes me wonder if it’s health or he was forced due to something we dont know about yet.

I like him and his program and I hope it's nothing salacious, but other than forcing his assistant on the school...the timing is off. New extension, season starting...seems off.

The NIL and portal has made college sports unmanageable
for Bennet's methods, he cant do it the way he has...same thing kinda happened to JB...they built up their style of prgram management under a different set of parameters and the modern landscape made it impossible to continue

These posted tweets are all leading me to believe he just had enough of it all given that it's, allegedly, not health related.

Maybe he's been trying to adapt, stick it out, but watched the movie, Blue Chips, and doing his best Pete Bell impression when he realized he's just done with it all.

but why do it know though.. Most of the NIL stuff is done , you can announce this is the final year for recruiting stuff.

but why do it know though.. Most of the NIL stuff is done , you can announce this is the final year for recruiting stuff.
Maybe his players have already started getting approached by third parties and the dude said fluck it

When it’s time it’s time, really could be that simple. Thought he would give it a go but decided it’s just time.

Gertrude?
Sophomores TJ Power and/or Blake Buchanan. Not needed as much since we picked Petar M. But still would nice as reserves for the future. Basically, dreaming.

Could just be he isn’t feeling it.
Maybe after years of getting excited for the start of the season he just realized it is time to move on and do something else.
That’s my take. His faith and family are most important to him and maybe they’ve both been taking a hit lately.

The thing about him saying enough’s enough and he’s not feeling it is that he would be letting down his team, and also university, students, fans etc but most importantly his team. Which he would take hard. So i feel like it has to be something bad happened.

Could just be he isn’t feeling it.
Maybe after years of getting excited for the start of the season he just realized it is time to move on and do something else.
2 weeks before the season though? That's rough, I assume nobody will transfer out and it was spoken about beforehand.

2 weeks before the season though? That's rough, I assume nobody will transfer out and it was spoken about beforehand.
It comes when it comes, what do you want him to do? If he isn’t getting excited it wouldn’t be right to keep going for him or the team.
I have no idea but just throwing out a possibility

NIL/Portal/“relationship building” or tampering.

It never stops. Doesn’t matter what deadlines are stated. There is money committed to players or future players that literally doesn’t exist yet that the coach has to be sure becomes real, just as one tiny example of the insanity. Coach Spo doesn’t have to worry if payroll will be met in 2025 or 2026.

You are dealing with a poorer version of basketball talent but with none of the constructs of the NBA to keep movement and payments organized to a reasonable extent and not close to the level of front office and admin support nba teams have.

Bennett also has enough money to go be a beach bum. He’ll have tv offers, helping to consult for teams, etc aplenty to keep making money or he can start an apple orchard. Doesn’t matter.

Hope it’s nothing health-wise and Bennett takes a few years to do whatever the heck he wants. Seems like a great guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom