Tony Bennett retiring | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bennett retiring

I can understand why.

It was a stressful profession to begin with. Now, on top of that, imagine having to re-recruit every player o your team every year, not being able to build year-over-year depth [which a program like Bennett's relies on] because guys are free to bail at intervals multiple times per year. And on top of that, having to deal with NIL related-considerations, both in terms of your existing roster and with recruits.

That's not what a lot of these coaches signed up for. I mean, under the OLD system -- recruiting never slept. Imagine that times 1000%, and that's the pressure these coaches face today. Sure, the money is great, but it just seems like a non-stop, year-round hassle under current rules.

So many things for the head coach to do now in terms of roster management, beyond just coaching.

I sort of feel that some programs are going to go the professional organizational route in terms of hierarchy, where the GM (and the GM's office) actually has has the ultimate say over the roster (they will interact with the coach as well).. the GM and his office is the that makes decisions on who comes in and recruits them... and the GM hires his coach to largely only coach the players.

There are probably some guys who can be a great head coach in such an environment but couldn't under the normal one.

I know we have "GM's" now in college, but they are nowhere near the head of roster decisions.

Last edited:
NIL/Portal/“relationship building” or tampering.

It never stops. Doesn’t matter what deadlines are stated. There is money committed to players or future players that literally doesn’t exist yet that the coach has to be sure becomes real, just as one tiny example of the insanity. Coach Spo doesn’t have to worry if payroll will be met in 2025 or 2026.

You are dealing with a poorer version of basketball talent but with none of the constructs of the NBA to keep movement and payments organized to a reasonable extent and not close to the level of front office and admin support nba teams have.

Bennett also has enough money to go be a beach bum. He’ll have tv offers, helping to consult for teams, etc aplenty to keep making money or he can start an apple orchard. Doesn’t matter.

Hope it’s nothing health-wise and Bennett takes a few years to do whatever the heck he wants. Seems like a great guy.
Yeah why would any accomplished coach who has nothing left to prove and has enough money for several lifetimes deal with this BS. If you really love coaching, find a different level, not this version of college basketball.

As an add-on to my post above, at the pro-level, "coach-GM's", who head the coaching staff and the GM staff, are rarely successful. It been clear over time that the best model in the pro game is usually to leave the coach "somewhat out" of roster management.

With the additional movement and compensation aspects of the NCAA, that make it more and more "pro" it only makes sense that teams transition to this model where coaches largely just coach.

As an add-on to my post above, at the pro-level, "coach-GM's", who head the coaching staff and the GM staff, are rarely successful. It been clear over time that the best model in the pro game is usually to leave the coach "somewhat out" of roster management.

With the additional movement and compensation aspects of the NCAA, that make it more and more "pro" it only makes sense that teams transition to this model where coaches largely just coach.
100%. Obviously the hard part is when the GM makes a "deal" and the deal changes on a whim which seems to be occurring in college sports...not that similar things don't happen in the NBA (Harden quitting to get traded for example)

Wow, wonder if it's something with the UVA administration??

To walk right now without a major health issue and the season priming to start is a big middle finger to someone... or it's a precursor for a situation UVA is hoping to get out in front of.

NIL era makes things messy in public. Players have power for the first time in their history. The reason it’s a mess is because the NCAA is a pathetic organization

Coaches, admins, and universities have made billions of dollars and frankly never gave an about the eventual landscape shift and how to properly compensate student athletes.

Made their bed and they can lie in it. Or run away like coaches are doing. The system isn’t perfect, but coaches have screwed the players over plenty and this is another way of it happening. You quit because of NIL 20 days before the season? Loser mentality. And i like TB

(Allegedly quitting due to NIL. If it’s health related obviously I take back any ill will to Bennett)

These posted tweets are all leading me to believe he just had enough of it all given that it's, allegedly, not health related.

Maybe he's been trying to adapt, stick it out, but watched the movie, Blue Chips, and doing his best Pete Bell impression when he realized he's just done with it all.
his particular coaching regimen doesnt work in this era...cant build any continuity from year to year which is essential to play the defense he wants to play...kinda the same deal with JBs zone

the retirement is shocking...the timing...even moreso

he probably realized hes about to have a losing season...and is pissed that the rules changes have undermined him and his winning ways

its maybe kind of a protest in general...to show that hes pissed to the sport...idk...i feel the same as a fan tbh

Mr. Hoo--

Once you get your head around it, this board would surely appreciate your take on this.
Tony is a man who lives to make an impact on young men. He’s been doing it his way with the utmost of character and integrity for many years. It’s what gives him joy. He’s undoubtedly been seeing if he could fight it for an awhile now but as others have said, when that joy is gone, for a man like Tony, he’s not going to pretend. You can bet he doesn’t like the timing, but what he would like even less is not being able to give the best of himself for his team.

That’s my take. I live in Charlottesville, and he is a cherished member of the community here. But he didn’t die. He is just ready for his next chapter.

Mr. Hoo--

Once you get your head around it, this board would surely appreciate your take on this.
There's little I can add to what mark79 posted. Until the presser tomorrow, all we can do is guess what his reasons are. Something seriously wrong must have happened to make him quit abruptly like this.

This is my pure guess - I have a feeling some recruits (plural) told him what the price tag was before they'd even talk to him, and told him even if they came to an agreement, there were no guarantees that they wouldn't take a better offer before enrolling.

NIL era makes things messy in public. Players have power for the first time in their history. The reason it’s a mess is because the NCAA is a pathetic organization

Coaches, admins, and universities have made billions of dollars and frankly never gave an about the eventual landscape shift and how to properly compensate student athletes.

Made their bed and they can lie in it. Or run away like coaches are doing. The system isn’t perfect, but coaches have screwed the players over plenty and this is another way of it happening. You quit because of NIL 20 days before the season? Loser mentality. And i like TB

(Allegedly quitting due to NIL. If it’s health related obviously I take back any ill will to Bennett)
If they had let players unionize there wouldn’t be this mess

I wonder if Larry Sabado saw this coming? Sorry, UVA joke there. Small one at that

Coaches who got into this game to develop players and build a culture of winning, have to hate having to recruit and then re-recruit your players all the time. It’s got to be frustrating to lose guys you worked hard to get and then have them turn around and leave at the first opportunity.

I know I’ve told this story before, but in honor of Tony Bennett retiring I will tell it one last time.

As a former academic mentor for athletes at uva (retirement gig) between students I would sneak into the JPJ gym and watch Tony’s practices. It was a real treat. At first I watched from high up where I couldn’t be seen but I got bolder and one day I was low enough where Tony made eye contact with me when he walked in, but kept on with practice. About 5 minutes later the assistant coach walked up to me but like Tony, he was a class act. He calmly said “are you here with someone today?” Not to lie, I said “sorry, no, I am an academic mentor between students but I probably shouldn't be here, huh” and he said “preferably not”. I should have said I’m a Syracuse fan checking out your practices lol.

Another time an assistant coach comped my friend and I tickets first row right behind the bench. After the game Ralph Sampson surprised us by walking up to say hello.

Silly little stories, but to a small degree, I think they exemplify the kind of class his program is run with. He did it old school. And when he could no longer find a way to do that he knew it was time.

Like Hoo said, it’s really just a guess that this is his reason for retiring, but it adds up to me.

The NIL and portal has made college sports unmanageable

So the thing is, college sports is stooooooopid. So stupid that the guys who make millions of dollars a year don't want to participate any more.

Not sure why all the fans who pay thousands of dollars a year aren't catching on as quickly as the SMEs who are bailing on the charade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom