Tony White to Nebraska | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White to Nebraska

You might want to reread it. He thanked Babers and JW and then went in about JW because that’s who pays him and gives him raises as he said by thanking him for taking care of him and his family. It’s just another way for you to try and make things up to take a shot at Babers. JW isn’t running the football program but he does control the purse strings for all sports.
No its not Bees. You might want to admit that he didnt leave for money. As to Babers im on record as to my opinion on his strengths and weaknesses.
Rather than taking shots at others why dont you share your thoughts on Dino.

White said in the article that he was excited to go to a place with so much history like Nebraska. Syracuse was always viewed as a place with low expectations to get his feet wet.

"It allowed me to grow and make mistakes and learn how to be a defensive coordinator that cared about his players and put them first and did all those things,” White said. “Being here, I was supposed to be here. Now I get the chance to do it again with a coach at a program with all that history and stuff.”

He also said something about Nebraska being a historically dominant football institution. Syracuse was always a stepping stone. He didn't respect the history and believes the perception that Syracuse is a basketball school. Simple as that.

No its not Bees. You might want to admit that he didnt leave for money. As to Babers im on record as to my opinion on his strengths and weaknesses.
Rather than taking shots at others why dont you share your thoughts on Dino.

You like to take someone else’s words, in this case White, and twist them to mean what you want. You specifically said whites words prove JW runs the football program. You’re wrong. He controls the purse strings. As to my opinion of Babers we’ve had 3 straight seasons of an improved record, the talent has improved and we’ve had good assistants as proven by others wanting them. So I’m good with him right now as long as we continue making bowls.

You like to take someone else’s words, in this case White, and twist them to mean what you want. You specifically said whites words prove JW runs the football program. You’re wrong. He controls the purse strings. As to my opinion of Babers we’ve had 3 straight seasons of an improved record, the talent has improved and we’ve had good assistants as proven by others wanting them. So I’m good with him right now as long as we continue making bowls.
No. As to mismanaging words please read my post again. I didn't say that JW was running the football program so please don't take my words and twist them to your liking. To be clear I believe that JW is very much hands on with Dino. Micromanaging him to be exact.
I agree with Dino being retained as long as we make bowl games. I don't agree that we have had progress the last three years. This year yes, last year his lack of in game competence cost us multiple games.

No. As to mismanaging words please read my post again. I didn't say that JW was running the football program so please don't take my words and twist them to your liking. To be clear I believe that JW is very much hands on with Dino. Micromanaging him to be exact.
I agree with Dino being retained as long as we make bowl games. I don't agree that we have had progress the last three years. This year yes, last year his lack of in game competence cost us multiple games.
The real question is whether Babers has done enough to get an extension whenever his contract is up. This last year helped a lot there, but it’s still a tough question. The 5 game losing streak was bad enough, but I guess you can blame it on injuries? That’s the problem with Babers though, you always have to find a way to defend something. The crazy penalties, still multiple dumb calls a game, inability to recruit wide receivers, inability to put out an even average offensive line… in general for a guy who came in as supposed offensive genus, he’s had terrible offenses. Even this past year, if the offense had even been average we would have won more games.

Next year will be fascinating, if Sellers actually signs. How is Dino going to manage the risk of a Sellers transfer without pissing off his current qb who isn’t half bad, but who isn’t 100% good either.

Frankly I’m exhausted by the Dino experience… I think he’s a mediocre head coach who would be better served as a passing game coordinator or consultant at some sec school. He’s not a bcs conference worthy head coach.

Last edited:
Some of the takes in this thread are staggering. :rolleyes:
With Love My Work Here Is Done GIF by Amazon Prime Video

The real question is whether Babers has done enough to get an extension whenever his contract is up. This last year helped a lot there, but it’s still a tough question. The 5 game losing streak was bad enough
I just re read what I posted, and I can see how it came across which was wrong. I realize that JW isn't running the day-to-day operations of the football program. He isn't running practice, calling plays etc. What I do believe is happening is that he is directing Dino on big decisions. As to Dino being renewed if he makes a bowl next year yes, he should be renewed but his contract needs to be more on the incentive side with a reasonable buy out.

Oh, hands on involved in running the program. That makes a big difference. And your proof is he thanked JW for taking care of him financially.,LOL.

Yeah, the fact that apparently some fans would feel better about this season, had we LOST a game or 2 out of those first 6, but picked up a W or 2 during those 5 straight L, and that being somehow better, because: reasons?

I can’t even. :rolleyes:
The only games I’d really want back are Pitt & WF, which we were beat up for both. And honestly, I thought we were better. But that’s a dangerous game to play, because I’m sure Purdue and Virginia would say the same thing.

5 game skid was tough to watch. But, there’s a lot to consider when you look at the entire body of work.

You might want to reread it. He thanked Babers and JW and then went on about JW because that’s who pays him and gives him raises as he said by thanking him for taking care of him and his family. It’s just another way for you to try and make things up to take a shot at Babers. JW isn’t running the football program but he does control the purse strings for all sports.
lol he's always making digs about Dino and the staff as if he knows more than them. Creating little stories in his head and trying to make them come across as facts. He doesnt back it up so it comes across as unknowledgable. We all have concerns with Dino in some way but that guy goes over board with the digs. There's some good people on that staff. Im not going to let false narratives live on this board.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fact that apparently some fans would feel better about this season, had we LOST a game or 2 out of those first 6, but picked up a W or 2 during those 5 straight L, and that being somehow better, because: reasons?

I can’t even. :rolleyes:

Before the season, EVERY SINGLE PERSON said in order for SU to go bowling, they needed to start hot and get wins early because of the late portion of the schedule.

Dino and Cuse do EXACTLY THAT...even got to the top 15 for one week, (finished at 7-5, I'd say they exceeded them by one win) and it's somehow eh now?

It is hilarious it's not good enough to some.

This is spot on. Everyone should read the PS article. He left to further his career. He didn't as some said leave for money.
I find it interesting that he specifically thanked
" Mr. Wildhack " which confirms for me what many know which is that JW is very much hands on involved in running the football program .
Coach White is a superstar and is just getting started. Given his comment about JW i wouldn't be surprised if got an offer from Syracuse if Dino isn't retained.
Oh, so it had nothing to do with Dino.

Thanks for agreeing.

lol he's always making digs about Dino and the staff as if he knows more than them. Creating little stories in his head and trying to make them come across as facts. He doesnt back it up so it comes across as unknowledgable. We all have concerns with Dino in some way but that guy goes over board with the digs. There's some good people on that staff. Im not going to let false narratives live on this board.
Listen. Im on record as saying he is a good CEO type. I dont think he is a good in game coach. He has never been a coordinator other than the one time he was relieved of his duties mid season. His recruiting is average at best. He is the highest paid employee in the history of Syracuse University and has 2 winning seasons. His in conference record and November records are awful.
What amazes me is that you feel compelled to support what is at best a mediocre coach to a degree that isnt warranted.

Coach White is a superstar and is just getting started. Given his comment about JW i wouldn't be surprised if got an offer from Syracuse if Dino isn't retained.
Maybe it's just an emotional thing for me right now, but I don't have the same fuzzies for TW being the future HC after leaving laterally for Nebraska (Not exactly Alabama). I would have felt differently if he left for a HC job. I'm not saying I would not consider him, but he loses that extra edge of being an SU guy. I think his move makes it harder for him to sell stability to the fanbase and recruits.

Listen. Im on record as saying he is a good CEO type. I dont think he is a good in game coach. He has never been a coordinator other than the one time he was relieved of his duties mid season. His recruiting is average at best. He is the highest paid employee in the history of Syracuse University and has 2 winning seasons. His in conference record and November records are awful.
What amazes me is that you feel compelled to support what is at best a mediocre coach to a degree that isnt warranted.
You are not saying anything most of us havent said. We all want more. He's been coaching since 1984 and learned from various head coaches and you think Dino doesnt know how to run a football program? You say stuff like because you want a new coach but that's not going to start a movement to get him fired. Its not in our control.

He's been unsuccessful just like many other coaches at SU. Most of us want a new coach and new direction but you are the only one with this weird Wildhack take. The guy negotiated TV contracts for 30 years behind a desk and is as hands off as they come. I told you several times that I wanted Dino gone last year but you continue to cherry pick and make up your own interpretation because people dont agree with your take. That amazes me more. Just say you hate Dino after every post then maybe your takes will make more sense to people.

Last edited:
I just re read what I posted, and I can see how it came across which was wrong. I realize that JW isn't running the day-to-day operations of the football program. He isn't running practice, calling plays etc. What I do believe is happening is that he is directing Dino on big decisions. As to Dino being renewed if he makes a bowl next year yes, he should be renewed but his contract needs to be more on the incentive side with a reasonable buy out.
Like any good boss should? I know that my boss isnt allowing me to hire anybody or make decisions that affect the whole entity, if it doesn’t fit his vision of what the company is or where it is going. I would think that the coaches that have the freedom to do whatever they please is few and far between.

Maybe it's just an emotional thing for me right now, but I don't have the same fuzzies for TW being the future HC after leaving laterally for Nebraska (Not exactly Alabama). I would have felt differently if he left for a HC job. I'm not saying I would not consider him, but he loses that extra edge of being an SU guy. I think his move makes it harder for him to sell stability to the fanbase and recruits.
Nebraska is 9th all time in wins, we are 30th. 5 national titles to our 1. Their football budget in the B10 is perhaps double ours. Yes they have been a train wreck lately but our train wreck days aren’t far in the rear view. I would hardly call it a lateral move.

I have to believe some part of White's thinking is that Rhule was an NFL coach and will run an NFL system and he wants to coach in that system which could get him an NFL job, along with Rhules contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom