Tony White to Nebraska | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White to Nebraska

It creates instability on the defensive side of the ball, in this transfer portal age that isn’t a good thing. I often see players from other programs transferring when their is a coaching change and even following their coaches.

This happens to most programs all the time. We’ve been a little immune to it b/c we’ve sucked. Now that we look like we have a pulse this is a sign we are doing well. Look at the SEC, they’re losing coaches all the time and they’re still okay. This is CFB now for better or worse. Either adapt or die. For years Temple was hiring fantastic HC’s and sometimes having them picked off in 1-2 years. They just continued making great hire after great hire.

How is it going to affect 2023 recruiting? Not to kick the program while it is down but the current group of committed players isn’t exactly a highly rated group. You’re not wrong regarding uncommitted prospects but they weren’t exactly knocking down the door to come here either.

Well if you look at it like this, this isn’t as big a deal. At least we don’t have 15 3-4 star D recruits coming in and the coach leaving.

This happens to most programs all the time. We’ve been a little immune to it b/c we’ve sucked. Now that we look like we have a pulse this is a sign we are doing well. Look at the SEC, they’re losing coaches all the time and they’re still okay. This is CFB now for better or worse. Either adapt or die. For years Temple was hiring fantastic HC’s and sometimes having them picked off in 1-2 years. They just continued making great hire after great hire.
I’m just not used to this so it’s new to me. What I am used to is seeing it with other programs and not caring, or even being amused. It hits different once emotionally invested.

Everyone's talking the money factor and I'm sure it's a factor, but don't underestimate the effect of having a Head coach whose towards the end of contract whose AD came out publicly that he's not getting an extension. That makes it tougher to retain good assistant coaches...Unfortunately, it also makes it tougher to get good assistant coaches.

Yeah that makes no sense. Not surprising.

He never said he wasn’t getting an extension. If he does well next year he’ll get extended. Everyone know this. Also, if DB isn’t retained it sets White up to be the next HC if he had stayed.

Survey says: Assistants to watch on the coaching carousel​

Syracuse defensive backs coach Nick Monroe could have opportunities elsewhere if interested. He has helped develop a top-10 pass defense in the pass-heavy ACC on defensive coordinator Tony White’s staff. He has spent the last seven seasons coaching the secondary for the Orange after previously coaching at Bowling Green and Colgate.

This one worries me. And, others as I have seen comments about how good he is in recruiting as well.

How about staying in house and promoting him to DC with a big raise . Bet he'd be a great one. Just an idea.

Any ideas about this out there?

I read Thamel's article on ESPN, 3 year deal(didn't say what the money was) and it sounded like Tony had a lot of offers. Dino had to have known this was coming, so hopefully he is ready with the next move, if it's Swag, or West, or Achuff, or a combo, get it out there now, it's portal/NSD time
I think he knew. I'd have to go back and listen to Babers presser but I seem to recall someone asking him if all the staff was staying. Got a non answer.

I’m just not used to this so it’s new to me. What I am used to is seeing it with other programs and not caring, or even being amused. It hits different once emotionally invested.

Completely understand, I’ve been kind of expecting this and hoping it wouldn’t happen till next year. But it is what it is. There are guys we can replace him with, it’s just a matter of making the right hire. Good programs do this over and over. Sometimes it’s the offense that’s the better hire and vice versa. But you need to make good hires and we haven't always done that.

To get him to go? I sure hope not considering he was probably making 1M+ here

Apparently you missed the “guess” part when you replied. He also wasn’t making 1+ here from what I’ve heard. So I think my number is pretty close.

Ahmad the recruiting guy posted some stuff on Twitter last night that now makes sense in regards to this news

Yeah that makes no sense. Not surprising.

He never said he wasn’t getting an extension. If he does well next year he’ll get extended. Everyone know this. Also, if DB isn’t retained it sets White up to be the next HC if he had stayed.
I thought I was clear enough that Wildhack was saying that he's not getting an extension now (and it was up in the air depending on how the season goes). That makes it a little bit of a lame-duck situation for now. I'm not blaming Wildhack for not giving him an extension, but that's some of the collateral damage that goes along with it.

I thought I was clear enough that Wildhack was saying that he's not getting an extension now (and was up in the air depending on how the season goes). That makes it a little bit of a lame-duck situation for now. I'm not blaming Wildhack for not giving him an extension, but that's some of the collateral damage that goes along with it.

I get what you’re saying but also doesn’t mean, no contract. You’re right though, it does create a lame duck situation. No doubt about that. On the flip side I’d think White might see that as a great opportunity. Who knows anymore when it concerns CFB

Don’t or won’t is the question. Isnt the endowment like $1billion? Let’s either pony up or drop to fcs (if we indeed have the $ but won’t apply it), as the saying goes, Go big or go home.
No school is going to use their endowment to pay for football ass't coaches. That would be insane. This isn't the end of the world.

Ugh, sadly we knew he would outgrow Syracuse at some point.
I'm sure he will be in the 1.5 -2 million range at Nebraska, I would guess our ceiling for DC is in the 900k - 1 million range
Lot's of 3-3-5 defenses out there, I hope we can make another homerun hire asap and keep the class and team together

We dont win 4 games without his coaching. What he did with a bunch of 2nd and third string kids and a walkon NT was a miracle
He did a great job. But he isn't the only coach that could have done that. We will survive. And if regular players leave to go to Nebraska to be with a D coordinator, we have bigger problems than a guy leaving. Also, most of those 2ud and 3rd stringers played after the 6-0 start. And we lost those games.

No school is going to use their endowment to pay for football ass't coaches. That would be insane. This isn't the end of the world.
true, but it is a continuation of the status quo, with our status being on or towards the bottom looking up.

No one, and I mean no one says it can't be done to try and compete with the upper echelon, just that it won't be done. Some in the know say it's possible (to come up with funds to compete), if we're not gonna do it, fine, ok or if we just can't do it, bummer but cool there too, state as such and make the subsequent moves. It takes money to make money right, it takes $ to compete to get up towards the top of the college football world right? Do it if you can, state so if you cannot. Enough already.

Last edited:
He did a great job. But he isn't the only coach that could have done that. We will survive. And if regular players leave to go to Nebraska to be with a D coordinator, we have bigger problems than a guy leaving. Also, most of those 2ud and 3rd stringers played after the 6-0 start. And we lost those games.
Hes a huge loss Dasher. The dominos are going to be ugly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom