Tony White to Nebraska | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White to Nebraska

I don’t think the endowment is to pay coaches salaries. And lose one coach, so let’s pack it in?
Exactly! According to SU's 990 (Page 22) in 2021 Tony White made about 700k. I'm guessing he made a little bit more this year, but Nebraska must have offered him $1M+ and just something SU couldn't match.

again can't or wont? If you're gonna try and compete at the highest level then compete, in every way. If bayside, bees, etc. says we can't then I'll hush up. Don't know how the univer. finances work admittedly, but why not if you have 1 billion (($1 billion!) to tap into. When you see how much their gonna raise prices soon you may come over a bit to this thinking. Again someone educate me. If it's won't vs can't I say, yes, admit you can't compete at the level you say you want and drop down a notch.

Everyone's talking the money factor and I'm sure it's a factor, but don't underestimate the effect of having a Head coach whose towards the end of contract whose AD came out publicly that he's not getting an extension. That makes it tougher to retain good assistant coaches...Unfortunately, it also makes it tougher to get good assistant coaches.
Other side of the coin, he might have had a shot at the top spot if Dino isn't retained.

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

So he's not our head coach in waiting? Or is he?
Dunno, but I bet Wildhack and Babers are having a tete a tete about who's available and who's interested. There has got to be some other brilliant DC out there waiting to get promoted or take over for Tony White.

We are on the upside going to a bowl. Our defense is one of the outstanding things about us this year Tony left us not in a bad situation. There has to be someone out there who is ready to come here.

Huge loss, but unfortunately for Cuse this was inevitable. Last I checked coach P was looking for work lol.

I haven’t seen anyone hammer him other than jokingly.
no, you are right, wasn't insinuating people here were killing him, just a general statement. sounds like the slimes on Twitter sure have been, apparently..

again can't or wont? If you're gonna try and compete at the highest level then compete, in every way. If bayside, bees, etc. says we can't then I'll hush up. Don't know how the univer. finances work admittedly, but why not if you have 1 billion (($1 billion!) to tap into. When you see how much they’re gonna raise prices soon you may come over a bit to this thinking. Again someone educate me. If it's won't vs can't I say, yes, admit you can't compete at the level you say you want and drop down a notch.
So, most or half of the ACC should drop down a notch too? You don’t make that decision based on losing one coach to another school.
This endowment thing comes up at least once a year and the answer is always no.

again can't or wont? If you're gonna try and compete at the highest level then compete, in every way. If bayside, bees, etc. says we can't then I'll hush up. Don't know how the univer. finances work admittedly, but why not if you have 1 billion (($1 billion!) to tap into. When you see how much their gonna raise prices soon you may come over a bit to this thinking. Again someone educate me. If it's won't vs can't I say, yes, admit you can't compete at the level you say you want and drop down a notch.
The answer to your question lies somewhere in the middle. Can you pay for athletics directly from the endowment fund... no. However, like everything in life there is gray areas on how funds are allocated to different departments and programs. It's not that SU couldn't afford to pay a coordinator 1M or more, but that's not the way SU handles their finances internally.

So, most or half of the ACC should drop down a notch too? You don’t make that decision based on losing one coach to another school.
This endowment thing comes up at least once a year and the answer is always no.
As the poster says above, it’s possible, so figure out a way in the “grey zone” he mentions to get it done.

And it isn’t just this one example but the totality of it all, all the things keeping this program as second class citizens. If it’s feasible/possible Do something the rest of the half of the ACC you mention won’t do and make a big commitment to compete at the highest level, including meeting whatever Nebraska was going to pay this guy.

Nobody in the know says it can’t be done, just that it won’t be done. Pick your cliché, go big or go home, shite or get off the pot, if no can do, fine, understood, say so, and make moves accordingly.

The timing of this couldn’t have been worse. Happy for Tony though.

Forde-Yard Dash: Which Coordinators Are Making the Case for Head Jobs?​

Names like Illinois’s Ryan Walters and Tennessee’s Alex Golesh may become hot commodities.
  • PAT FORDE
  • OCT 24, 2022
    Tony White (23), Syracuse defensive coordinator. Age: 43. Years on the job at Syracuse: two. Why his profile is rising: It’s a rarity when Clemson isn’t the best defensive team in the ACC, but at the moment the Orange can lay claim to that honor. Syracuse (6–1) is allowing league lows of 4.73 yards per play, 294.7 yards per game and 15.1 points per game. That defensive scoring average is on pace to be the lowest at Cuse since the 1987 team gave up 14.1 while going 11-0-1
This is where Tony made his case. There has to be a defensive coordinator out there who is ready to move in to CNY as Tony did and run a great defense. Tony can't be the only one.

I do think that SU is financially committed to the football program, just not on the same level as the B1G and the SEC which is fine as we are an ACC school.

Other side of the coin, he might have had a shot at the top spot if Dino isn't retained.
Who says he still doesn't have a shot? I do agree it lessens his chance. If Dino gets fired midyear, he probably would have been the leading candidate to be interim to show what he's got.

I read Thamel's article on ESPN, 3 year deal(didn't say what the money was) and it sounded like Tony had a lot of offers. Dino had to have known this was coming, so hopefully he is ready with the next move, if it's Swag, or West, or Achuff, or a combo, get it out there now, it's portal/NSD time

I do think that SU is financially committed to the football program, just not on the same level as the B1G and the SEC which is fine as we are an ACC school.
David luv ya bro but that is not fine with me, at all. If this is going to be the case, and simply the way it is looking at all the changes with the portal, NIL, then let’s hope the FBS schools rearrange and we make the choice and commitment to be with the SEC schools or Big Ten schools, or, if not, create a second division below them, and be done with this

As the poster says above, it’s possible, so figure out a way in the “grey zone” he mentions to get it done.

And it isn’t just this one example but the totality of it all, all the things keeping this program as second class citizens. If it’s feasible/possible Do something the rest of the half of the ACC you mention won’t do and make a big commitment to compete at the highest level, including meeting whatever Nebraska was going to pay this guy.

Nobody in the know says it can’t be done, just that it won’t be done. Pick your cliché, go big or go home, shite or get off the pot, if no can do, fine, understood, say so, and make moves accordingly.
Yeah, I don’t agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom