Tony White to Nebraska | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White to Nebraska

Kinda hard to not be in a "screw Tony White" sort of mood when you see this, despite it being a business decision. We will be fortunate to land half as good a DC next year. Uproots everything. We were on the come up. Sometimes he felt like the only guy on the sideline with a head on his shoulders. Thought he could be our head coach in a couple years.

Just another reason to not be emotionally invested in college football I guess. Something like this will always happen. It's when not if. Will maintain a screw Tony White attitude for a couple days and then wish him well eventually.
Yeah he did what he needed to do. As fans we don’t want to be stupid (like we see on twitter often) yet at the same time it’s expected that we be disappointed and even upset for a bit. What I don’t understand are the cold takes from fans who act like other fans aren’t even allowed to be disappointed.

Who knows but not knowing is so odd. It also stinks that some on twitter are blaming SU, that’s not fair because none of us know the money involved, counters etc

And when I say odd I don’t mean for CFB, I just mean in theory.

Idiots on twitter. I don’t know how high we would go to match Nebraska but he was already like the 5th highest paid employee at SU.

Idiots on twitter. I don’t know how high we would go to match Nebraska but he was already like the 5th highest paid employee at SU.
precisely. they can afford to pay $2M for a DC if they want to. and on top of that, they can guarantee years like we can't either.

Navigate-projections.png

Yeah, this is Syracuse.

That’s what happens here.

We don’t have the $$$$ to retain a guy at coordinator position forever
Don’t or won’t is the question. Isnt the endowment like $1billion? Let’s either pony up or drop to fcs (if we indeed have the $ but won’t apply it), as the saying goes, Go big or go home.

Last edited:
Everyone's talking the money factor and I'm sure it's a factor, but don't underestimate the effect of having a Head coach whose towards the end of contract whose AD came out publicly that he's not getting an extension. That makes it tougher to retain good assistant coaches...Unfortunately, it also makes it tougher to get good assistant coaches.

We all knew he was destined for greater things. He was never going to stay here long. He will definitely be a head coach some day. He just has IT.
I’ll be rooting for him to succeed.
Now promote Swag Daddy and call it a day. He deserves it. Our defensive backfield has been putting out NFL caliber players year in and year out.

Good luck to coach White. Hope he does well. The 3-3-5 is a good defense for Syracuse. Hope another assistant can run it now or they hire someone who runs the same concepts.

Everyone's talking the money factor and I'm sure it's a factor, but don't underestimate the effect of having a Head coach whose towards the end of contract whose AD came out publicly that he's not getting an extension. That makes it tougher to retain good assistant coaches...Unfortunately, it also makes it tougher to get good assistant coaches.
BAD! Good luck Tony.

Exactly! According to SU's 990 (Page 22) in 2021 Tony White made about 700k. I'm guessing he made a little bit more this year, but Nebraska must have offered him $1M+ and just something SU couldn't match.

Good luck to Coach White. He had a lot of teams coming for him. This is what the coaching profession is. Teams come and take what works. Hell, Sec teams lose coordinators to other sec teams. Tony White has a bright future. He’s a brilliant coach and an even better person.

Sounds like you know him personally. I blame you for not keeping him here! ;)

This one hurts. We have to hope we strike gold with another DC. I'm nervous that some guys may choose to follow him, but hopefully that won't happen.

We all knew he was destined for greater things. He was never going to stay here long. He will definitely be a head coach some day. He just has IT.
I’ll be rooting for him to succeed.
Now promote Swag Daddy and call it a day. He deserves it. Our defensive backfield has been putting out NFL caliber players year in and year out.
maybe our next HC. Assuming Swag is ready to be a DC, then he is a great choice, keeps our best recruiter on staff and hopefully keeps our core guys intact. If we can keep our key defensive players on the roster and just have Tony be the one key loss, I will take it and run at this point

Yes, he was a snake who hated the 3-3-5 and helped get rid of it.

Stupid and sleazy.

Tony did a great job here and I will always be appreciative of what he accomplished. Good luck to him in Nebraska.

Dan Gonzales is the HC at New Mexico. Long time assistant under Rocky Long at SD State. He is rumored to be very much on the hot seat. Went 2-10 this year and lost his last 9 games in a row.

Make him a big offer and get him on the staff.

If you want to be a big time school, you have to do things like hire HCs of G5 schools as your coordinator.
I really wasn't kidding about calling Rocky for another reccomendation. Didn't we fly him up here after the Zach fiasco for a sit down about what other disciples we should be looking at? Hunting down a good canidate from that coaching tree after we installed that D here and had good results seems like the right move.

Not sure why people disparage coaches for taking better jobs and/more money. Dino even with the 7 win season, is in a murkey area here as far as future tenure. By signing with a new staff, TW gets a new clock. Not to mention he will no doubt be making a lot more money. Its a no brainer.

Not sure why people disparage coaches for taking better jobs and/more money. Dino even with the 7 win season, is in a murkey area here as far as future tenure. By signing with a new staff, TW gets a new clock. Not to mention he will no doubt be making a lot more money. Its a no brainer.
100% correct, it's the right move for him, and we should all wish him well. we can be bummed(and we all are) but he doesn't deserve to be hammered for it, not one bit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom