Too bad Tyler Lydon's not on this team | Syracusefan.com

Too bad Tyler Lydon's not on this team

OrangeAl

2023 Cali Award Receiving Touchdowns
For his sake! (Please, no comments that you don't care. This thread is for those who do care.)
Yeah, he got a payday, but I think this young group would have invigorated his game and gotten more out of him than he was able to give last year. Also, he would have been at that point where his leadership skills would have been developed. Last year's injection of veterans didn't help him there. This team could have been the Tyler and Tyus show.

For his sake! (Please, no comments that you don't care. This thread is for those who do care.)
Yeah, he got a payday, but I think this young group would have invigorated his game and gotten more out of him than he was able to give last year. Also, he would have been at that point where his leadership skills would have been developed. Last year's injection of veterans didn't help him there. This team could have been the Tyler and Tyus show.
Why not Richardson for that matter

Yeah but what about the LOVE OF THE GAME and 30,000 fans screaming your name am I right?

Malachi might've been better suited to help last year's team more than he'd help this year's team. We're finally back to playing guys at the positions they belong in. Having Malachi this year would mean playing him at SF like he did most of his Frosh year. He's really a SG though, so this team would probably have better O but worse D and worse rebounding. Malachi's game is better suited for a 'lone wolf' type role, imo. Better on-court chemistry probably wouldn't impact him as much as it would impact a guy like Lydon.

Yeah, probably could say that same thing for Malachi last year. Would our chemistry have been better with him than with a grad transfer? Would he have become a better NBA player with that extra year of learning to "be the man?"
From a developmental standpoint I think it would have served him well.

Yeah but what about the LOVE OF THE GAME and 30,000 fans screaming your name am I right?
The argument here is that an extra year would have honed his game to produce a sustainable payday. But I'm sure your screams would have flattered him, too.

No one believes that Chukwu would be getting any run if Lydon were still here right? I mean, we all know that leash would be short again...

If you are a first round pick, you should go to the draft.
What's better - to be a first round flameout or to have a 5 to 10 year career?
Yes, this is a purist's point of view: Why not get the holes in your game fixed, then prosper for the long haul?

Yes, this is a purist's point of view: Why not get the holes in your game fixed, then prosper for the long haul?
You can get the holes in your game fixed by practicing as your FULL TIME JOB while getting paid on an NBA contract much easier than fixing holes for free in college. I don't know why people continually fail to see this. Tyler is way better off, even playing in the G League.

That can be done while making money. Lydon can shoot the 3 (very valued in the current NBA) but is not very athletic or strong. He needs to improve those things and could have a place in the league. Spending another year at Syracuse wouldn't do that. Is the flame out thing a question or are you claiming Lydon is already a flame out? Jerami Grant got into the league and improved on some aspects of his game and is looking at a good future. Hopefully Lydon is able to do the same.

You can get the holes in your game fixed by practicing as your FULL TIME JOB while getting paid on an NBA contract much easier than fixing holes for free in college. I don't know why people continually fail to see this. Tyler is way better off, even playing in the G League.

Plus, he's making GUARANTEED MILLIONS now, vs being 1 injury away from making nothing for playing hoops, ever, had he stayed.

yeah, i totally wish he was here - for his sake. :rolleyes:

exactly. As hard as it is to believe, Syracuse basketball players still have to go to class. They can't be in a gym 14 hours a day (NCAA prohibits this even if they skip class) and still collect a million dollars, like Tyler is doing. Whether he plays in the G league forever or not, he made the right decision, and is a better player because of it. If you are slated to go in the first round, you should probably go pro. Tyus will join him in a few months.

Last edited:
This type of thread always brings the same posters with the same argument about getting paid in the NBA and improving their game. I don't see a great amount of data to support that to be true and there are many, many examples of guys who get paid once, do not improve and do not play much ever in the NBA. I think its totally natural for the people on this forum to wish for our good players to stay longer. Most people are bigger fans of SU as a whole than fans of individual players who make a quick audition stop on the Hill. One can argue "what would you do if it was you?" , but to me that's one of the perks of being just a fan...you don't have to think of it in that way at all. I think Lydon would have been awesome on this team this year and we would be a real threat to make a deep tournament run. This would have made my experience as an SU fan even better this year and that's why I wanted him to stay. I admit it!!!

Too bad Josh Jackson isn't on Kansas. Can you imagine how bad they would have beat us by?

Oooos my bad, doesn't fit the narrative. Carry on...

As well as Embiid and Wiggins. Not s bad squad.

This is where I think scouts and analysts have a blind spot. Practice is practice. Workouts are workouts. But it’s not actual games with major stakes. That’s what staying and playing in college gets you. If you’re riding the pine in the NBA, you’re not getting much game playing experience. That’s invaluable to a developing player. And the D league games don’t have the same stakes with the pressure of the national spotlight shined on you, and you’re not necessarily the star who has to put a team on your back at times and lead them. I think staying in college an extra year can help some guys because you get actual high-level game experience.

exactly. As hard as it is to believe, Syracuse basketball players still have to go to class. They can't be in a gym 14 hours a day (NCAA prohibits this even if they skip class) and still collect a million dollars, like Tyler is doing. Whether he plays in the G league forever or not, he made the right decision, and is a better play because of it. If you are slated to go in the first round, you should probably go pro. Tyus will join him in a few months.
NBA players don’t practice 14 hours a day. Not even close. The pros might have practice for a few hours and then guys work for a few hours on individual skill development, shooting, etc. But you still have to rest your body just like you do as a college player. Games take a huge toll.

That said, Lydon probably made the right call.

This is where I think scouts and analysts have a blind spot. Practice is practice. Workouts are workouts. But it’s not actual games with major stakes. That’s what staying and playing in college gets you. If you’re riding the pine in the NBA, you’re not getting much game playing experience. That’s invaluable to a developing player. And the D league games don’t have the same stakes with the pressure of the national spotlight shined on you, and you’re not necessarily the star who has to put a team on your back at times and lead them. I think staying in college an extra year can help some guys because you get actual high-level game experience.
A game against 6'5'' centers from Colgate is better for your development than playing in a league against guys who were the best on their college teams fighting for a spot in the NBA? Regardless of the "spotlight" it's definitely better for basketball development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom