Too bad Tyler Lydon's not on this team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Too bad Tyler Lydon's not on this team

NBA players don’t practice 14 hours a day. Not even close. The pros might have practice for a few hours and then guys work for a few hours on individual skill development, shooting, etc. But you still have to rest your body just like you do as a college player. Games take a huge toll.

That said, Lydon probably made the right call.

The NCAA has a limit on how much you can practice. The NBA doesn't. It's also an 82 game schedule, college is 30ish.

A game against 6'5'' centers from Colgate is better for your development than playing in a league against guys who were the best on their college teams fighting for a spot in the NBA? Regardless of the "spotlight" it's definitely better for basketball development.
"Development" is a unique process for everybody. If playing maximum minutes against the best competition were the formula, then we'd send our 8th graders up against the Cavaliers so they can become awesome. But most players need to have success at every step up the ladder to really develop their all-around game. That includes their skills, their stamina, their confidence, their leadership, their intelligence, their media savvy, and their personal maturity.
College basketball is the equivalent of baseball's A / AA/ AAA leagues all in one. So, yes, handling a 6'5" center from Colgate is part of the development process. So is taking classes and being BMOC and talking to Mike Waters and Donna Ditota and being chewed out by HCJB.
Everything in its time.

"Development" is a unique process for everybody. If playing maximum minutes against the best competition were the formula, then we'd send our 8th graders up against the Cavaliers so they can become awesome. But most players need to have success at every step up the ladder to really develop their all-around game. That includes their skills, their stamina, their confidence, their leadership, their intelligence, their media savvy, and their personal maturity.
College basketball is the equivalent of baseball's A / AA/ AAA leagues all in one. So, yes, handling a 6'5" center from Colgate is part of the development process. So is taking classes and being BMOC and talking to Mike Waters and Donna Ditota and being chewed out by HCJB.
Everything in its time.

Taking classes and talking to MW and DD is part of the development process.

Boy we're really stretching these "stay in school" arguments to their limits.

I'd love to see a line-up of Lydon and Brissett at the forwards, Chukwu and Sidibie at center, Howard and Battle in the backcourt and Dolezaj and Moyer coming off the bench. We would be as good as anybody. But we don't pay $1 million a year, which is why Tyler is making sitting on the bench in Denver. I think he'd be having more fun here but fun isn't money.

That can be done while making money. Lydon can shoot the 3 (very valued in the current NBA) but is not very athletic or strong. He needs to improve those things and could have a place in the league. Spending another year at Syracuse wouldn't do that. Is the flame out thing a question or are you claiming Lydon is already a flame out? Jerami Grant got into the league and improved on some aspects of his game and is looking at a good future. Hopefully Lydon is able to do the same.

Jerami's ceiling is way higher than Lydon's.

Lydon made the right decision. He sprained his ankle the end of October and just returned last week. If he did that at Syracuse he would have missed the first 7 or 8 games of the year and General Managers would have started to question his worth because he wasn’t playing.

I caught the past couple of G league games he’s participated in and he looks like a completely more confident player than he did here last year.

Lydon made the right decision. He sprained his ankle the end of October and just returned last week. If he did that at Syracuse he would have missed the first 7 or 8 games of the year and General Managers would have started to question his worth because he wasn’t playing.

I caught the past couple of G league games he’s participated in and he looks like a completely more confident player than he did here last year.
I haven't seen any of the games glad he is looking more confident.

We're desperately lacking that 3-point shooting PF/C to pass up open looks on the perimeter.

When I was a ‘young’ man I would have gotten upset about kids leaving our team early...because i was selfish and the team needed to win to make me feel good. They needed championships so I could talk crap to my friends who liked other teams.

Now I just watch and enjoy the ride. Whatever happens...happens. I hope the team is successful because that makes our community happy...including me. But I want the kids to win so they are rewarded for their hard work and dedication. I enjoy watching players develop...I enjoy watching the team grow together and improve...I enjoy the big picture much much more. I guess this is becaus I am a parent now I have a different perspective on life including sports.

Try and support the kids. The decisions they make about college and pro are not easy. In the end the kids have to follow their hearts and have no regrets. If life gives these guys the G league then be happy for them...if it gives them a Chinese league then be happy for them....it’s their journey and I hope they have a blast living the dream of playing a game for a living no matter where that may be.

When I was a ‘young’ man I would have gotten upset about kids leaving our team early...because i was selfish and the team needed to win to make me feel good. They needed championships so I could talk crap to my friends who liked other teams.

Now I just watch and enjoy the ride. Whatever happens...happens. I hope the team is successful because that makes our community happy...including me. But I want the kids to win so they are rewarded for their hard work and dedication. I enjoy watching players develop...I enjoy watching the team grow together and improve...I enjoy the big picture much much more. I guess this is becaus I am a parent now I have a different perspective on life including sports.

Try and support the kids. The decisions they make about college and pro are not easy. In the end the kids have to follow their hearts and have no regrets. If life gives these guys the G league then be happy for them...if it gives them a Chinese league then be happy for them...it’s their journey and I hope they have a blast living the dream of playing a game for a living no matter where that may be.

I'm all for following your heart, but within reason, if your not ready, your not ready. I was watching a show last night on the 2013 Michigan bball team on Btn, yes the team that sadly beat us in Atlanta, but Trey Burke had some great insight on the draft process, how he really wanted to leave after his freshman year, but knew the best thing was for him to go back.

Looks real good in those clips...sure could of used that shooting this season but he definitely made the right choice for himself. Hope to see him in the league soon!
He's already appeared in an NBA game, although only briefly, one of fewer than 5,000 people to ever do so.

Last edited:
I'm all for following your heart, but within reason, if your not ready, your not ready. I was watching a show last night on the 2013 Michigan bball team on Btn, yes the team that sadly beat us in Atlanta, but Trey Burke had some great insight on the draft process, how he really wanted to leave after his freshman year, but knew the best thing was for him to go back.

Fair enough but our guys are leaving and getting drafted. I support them 100%...it’s part of their life journey and it’s cool that SU could have a small part in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom