Too bad Tyler Lydon's not on this team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Too bad Tyler Lydon's not on this team

I feel better not watching these highlights and moving on but that's just me. I say that after I watched ha ha

Agreed. My personal goal for each SU player is that they contribute to as many wins and have as much success as possible while at Syracuse. I could care less if any of them ever get drafted or make a dime playing basketball. I'm a Syracuse fan.

When I was a ‘young’ man I would have gotten upset about kids leaving our team early...because i was selfish and the team needed to win to make me feel good. They needed championships so I could talk crap to my friends who liked other teams.

Now I just watch and enjoy the ride. Whatever happens...happens. I hope the team is successful because that makes our community happy...including me. But I want the kids to win so they are rewarded for their hard work and dedication. I enjoy watching players develop...I enjoy watching the team grow together and improve...I enjoy the big picture much much more. I guess this is becaus I am a parent now I have a different perspective on life including sports.

Try and support the kids. The decisions they make about college and pro are not easy. In the end the kids have to follow their hearts and have no regrets. If life gives these guys the G league then be happy for them...if it gives them a Chinese league then be happy for them...it’s their journey and I hope they have a blast living the dream of playing a game for a living no matter where that may be.

I appreciate your sentiments. And I do support the kids. And I am thrilled Lydon had a good game. Even so, I would prefer a 2 year CBB minimum career. Selfish or not, with 1-and-done you hardly get to know them. And I think when talent leaves CBB then all of CBB suffers a bit. I want the kids to be supported in every way but I also love CBB. So for me this argument one way or the other has been a struggle for me. I wish there was a way where it all works. Maybe somehow a sneaker deal allows their parents to receive a private stipend (just kidding).

th

There's no question that Tyler, Malachi, et al can play a year or two in college, jump to the G-league and hone their skills, and maybe even make a splash in the NBA.
The question is, should college BB fans attach themselves to them as they leapfrog through the Dome?
I want to identify with a guy who loves SU as much as I do.
There really ought to be separate minor league BB and college BB tracks.

There's no question that Tyler, Malachi, et al can play a year or two in college, jump to the G-league and hone their skills, and maybe even make a splash in the NBA.
The question is, should college BB fans attach themselves to them as they leapfrog through the Dome?

How do you know the one-and two-and-done guys don't love SU as much as you do?

They've all certainly given more to the hoops program than any of us fans has.
And that includes my having paid 4 years of tuition to SU.

NONE of these kids grows up dreaming of playing for Syracuse, and that's it.
They dream of playing in the NBA.

Playing for SU is a stepping stone to that ultimate dream for them.
Whether that be for 1, 2, 3, or 4 years.

No offense to the coaching staff because they do a great job, but the Nuggets are developing him to be a 3/4 playing on the perimeter while we had him in the post or as a screener in the P&R. I don't think another year of college was going to help him with what position he would play professionally. Part of that is due to our own recruiting misses where we had to play guys out of position.

Carmelo is a shining example of the one and done player who loves SU.
The obvious example is his financial support of the program with the Melo Center. Beyond that, he really didn't want to leave after his year at SU. JB told him it was time to go. His many interviews since about SU, the program and JB are further proof of his meaningful time at SU.
The tears in his announcement that he was leaving and how much SU meant to him was heartwarming ( and breaking :)).

I think it's really unfair to Mali and Tyler to compare them to a McCollugh type. To me, if you get to a final 4, you get a pass. That's just me though

Guys like Mali, Lyndon, MCW, Grant (even Ennis) left plays and moments that will always be remembered by our fan base and that should count for something

Playing in the NBA is exceptionally difficult. Most draftees flameout. It’s the nature of the beast. Has nothing to do with staying or leaving early.

This is a really good point.

That's a good point. Maybe they did expect to be here for the whole four year student/athlete ride, but felt the need to go when they were marketable.
So, the solution probably doesn't lie with the players, but with an agreement with the NBA, similar to baseball's college or pro tracks.

That's a good point. Maybe they did expect to be here for the whole four year student/athlete ride, but felt the need to go when they were marketable.
So, the solution probably doesn't lie with the players, but with an agreement with the NBA, similar to baseball's college or pro tracks.

It's the NBAPA you need to get, not the NBA

No offense to the coaching staff because they do a great job, but the Nuggets are developing him to be a 3/4 playing on the perimeter while we had him in the post or as a screener in the P&R. I don't think another year of college was going to help him with what position he would play professionally. Part of that is due to our own recruiting misses where we had to play guys out of position.
If Tyler were playing on this years team he would be playing the 4. And I would not call Dejuan Coleman's knee injuries and Chukwu's eye injury recruiting misses. Thats the only reason he played in the pivot last year. The only reason he played there his freshman year was again DC2's knees and Chino not being any good. Chino may have been a recruiting miss but is more a player that just did not pan out. But this year he would be starting at the 4 with Brissett at the 3. As someone else said it would be the Tyler and Tyus Show. Yeah he's getting paid, but he's right where I expected him to be, the NBADL. He will eventually get to the NBA and the way he can shoot he will be there for a long long time. But I think if you asked Lydon or Mali to go back and pick between another year at Syracuse or the NBADL they would pick Syracuse. None of these kids think that THEY will have to go to the NBADL. If high schoolers want to go to the NBADL more power to them.

If Tyler were playing on this years team he would be playing the 4. And I would not call Dejuan Coleman's knee injuries and Chukwu's eye injury recruiting misses. Thats the only reason he played in the pivot last year. The only reason he played there his freshman year was again DC2's knees and Chino not being any good. Chino may have been a recruiting miss but is more a player that just did not pan out. But this year he would be starting at the 4 with Brissett at the 3. As someone else said it would be the Tyler and Tyus Show. Yeah he's getting paid, but he's right where I expected him to be, the NBADL. He will eventually get to the NBA and the way he can shoot he will be there for a long long time. But I think if you asked Lydon or Mali to go back and pick between another year at Syracuse or the NBADL they would pick Syracuse. None of these kids think that THEY will have to go to the NBADL. If high schoolers want to go to the NBADL more power to them.

Idk they’re both getting paid millions of dollars. They also both got injured after they were drafted. Would they even have been drafted had they come back to Syracuse and got hurt?

Idk they’re both getting paid millions of dollars. They also both got injured after they were drafted. Would they even have been drafted had they come back to Syracuse and got hurt?
Good for them getting money if that's what they're about. Neither of them is really relevant to anything right now. I watched the highlight video, still couldn't tell you who he is playing for. Don't really care. A lot of fandom is about the name on the front of the jersey.

Here is the problem...attach yourself to the team and not the player (same for all sports, you still like your favorite baseball team when they trade your favorite player?). These guys dream of getting paid and playing in the NBA. College is a step in that direction but not the end all final goal.

Good for them getting money if that's what they're about. Neither of them is really relevant to anything right now. I watched the highlight video, still couldn't tell you who he is playing for. Don't really care. A lot of fandom is about the name on the front of the jersey.

And until there's a check written from Syracuse University it's never going to change. Not sure what's so difficult to understand.

And until there's a check written from Syracuse University it's never going to change. Not sure what's so difficult to understand.
I understand fine. You are confusing understanding with caring. I care if Syracuse University wins basketball games. I could not care less if any former Syracuse player ever makes a dime playing professionally.

cost of enrollment at syracuse is around 70 grand. that ain't money to you ? and according to studies a college degree doubles your income over your lifetime. and likely had some of these kids returned they actually improve their draft status and contract. the injury thing is an extreme rarity and false premise to justify bad decisions in which talented player find themselves on the bus doing the memphis hustle.

Last edited:
cost of enrollment at syracuse is around 70 grand. that ain't money to you ? and according to studies a college degree doubles your income over your lifetime. and likely had some of these kids returned they actually improve their draft status and contract. the injury thing is an extreme rarity and false premise to justify bad decisions in which talented player find themselves on the bus doing the memphis hustle.
He now has more than enough money to go back to SU and get his degree once his NBA career is over if he wants to, so your point is an odd one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom