Too early to talk out of town scores and the wifi | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Too early to talk out of town scores and the wifi

Im not sure throw away is the right verb? yeah it would not be used in the dome. but it sure could be used elsewhere on campus or some local school etc.. the time installing would be lost but not the equipment

Wifi was excellent for me in Section 330. Had the Notre Dame vs OSU game streaming during our breaks.

Cell phone was terrible. One bar the whole time with Verizon. Texts were able to go through thankfully.

They did a good job of showing out of town scores though the 22-21 score for ND-OSU was funny. In game stats were tough to see on the interior of the midfield video board, though they had them up often.

Im not sure throw away is the right verb? yeah it would not be used in the dome. but it sure could be used elsewhere on campus or some local school etc.. the time installing would be lost but not the equipment
Unless there is a deal with JMA to install state of the art WiFi connectivity campus wide.

there is an they have talked about it.. My question is why continue to have a bad fan experience short term when there are short term solutions as well that dont require any install at all.. maybe the cost is crazy high. My last conversation with people at SU i was told the reason cell phone service had not been improved was because they didnt feel the need.

there is an they have talked about it.. My question is why continue to have a bad fan experience short term when there are short term solutions as well that dont require any install at all.. maybe the cost is crazy high. My last conversation with people at SU i was told the reason cell phone service had not been improved was because they didnt feel the need.
I reluctantly can see why they’re not doing a stop gap (Even though I hate it because it’s not that hard).

But at the very least, JMA should install some signs promoting the upcoming state of the art system. Let the casual folks now something great is coming. Do a video at some point during the game. I was kind of surprised there was nothing about the new sponsor besides the signage.

Most don’t read the PS and wouldn’t know why it sucked. They should take advantage of it.

Had to go into the corridor during half time just to send simple text messages. I’m sure others do too and creates more of a logjam.

You have a lot of people who wont be in the dome 10x this yr.. They went week 1 the internet was awful and there was no reason given. How about sending out notices to people explaining what is happening. a random news story and a PC from months ago is not gonna get to most people.

keeping people informed with more than hey one day we will have a great internet and we missed the first big deadline that would have been useful and probably will miss the whole fball season

There were several crazy games going on before/during ours. The big ND/OSU game and then a good ending in the utah game. Let alone there must be yankee/mets fans in the bldg. But no scores again. Is this too hard? Why do we have miles of ribbon boards just glowing orange randomly and not use them for display?

The wifi/5g sucked even worse if thats possible.. I had people at home txting me scores of games to figure out what was happening outside.

And I still dont get why we dont use the screens to show other games during dead periods. Pregame would be cool showing endings of games that are live.. Give me a reason to go watch pre-game and show me something.. During half time, show something, even if its only on 2 screens and not them all.. Dont even need sound

I also noticed that several of the Dome cameras were not in HD when they switched inputs to live streams. Seemed like someone had fired up the PS3 to show us the game.

Did they even put the stats on the big boards one time? I saw some in a corner on occasion, and i saw some under the inside of the big replay board but you cant read them from my seats because the speakers are in the way.
This where I flat-out say:

1) they announced too late to the first game that JMA’s system isn’t ready and won’t be for a year.

2) there were not that many games going on at the same time Saturday at 8pm so just focus on the game in front of you.

In-game stats need to be better. Yes. Go visit the bathroom versus expecting the Dome to show major HS recruits on campus highlights from other games.

Last edited:
I will also say that for Verizon customers the 5G has been absolutely crap and the service has gotten worse for some reason anyway.

You have a lot of people who wont be in the dome 10x this yr.. They went week 1 the internet was awful and there was no reason given. How about sending out notices to people explaining what is happening. a random news story and a PC from months ago is not gonna get to most people.

keeping people informed with more than hey one day we will have a great internet and we missed the first big deadline that would have been useful and probably will miss the whole fball season

You’re aware Pete Sala did a presser on Thursday or Friday telling people that the internet would be the same as last year right? And that they are hoping to have it done by basketball season but they weren’t making any commitments on it?

Like come on man….. you’ve beaten the horse we get it

Who ever your sources are at the dome aren’t very good ones and I’ll leave it at that.

And man, if you don’t like it don’t go, but where I sit I had perfect wifi. But then again, I also live in the moment and don’t worry about my phone until the game is over. Put your wireless device down and enjoy the live game in front of you

This where I flat-out say:

1) they lannounced too late to the first game that JMA’s system isn’t ready and won’t be for a year.

2) there were not that many games going on at the same time Saturday at 8pm so just focus on the game in front of you.

I’m-game stats need to be better. Yes. Go visit the bathroom versus expecting the Done to show major HS recruits on campus highlights from other games.
Too late for what though?

You’re aware Pete Sala did a presser on Thursday or Friday telling people that the internet would be the same as last year right? And that they are hoping to have it done by basketball season but they weren’t making any commitments on it?

Like come on man….. you’ve beaten the horse we get it

Who ever your sources are at the dome aren’t very good ones and I’ll leave it at that.

And man, if you don’t like it don’t go, but where I sit I had perfect wifi. But then again, I also live in the moment and don’t worry about my phone until the game is over. Put your wireless device down and enjoy the live game in front of you
Good in theory but that's just not how people roll anymore. Connectivity should have been a bigger priority than concessions, or anything else.

Good in theory but that's just not how people roll anymore. Connectivity should have been a bigger priority than concessions, or anything else.

You’re joking right?

They are LITERALLY as we speak, actively INSTALLING the new Wifi etc.

The project started almost the next day after we became the JMA Wireless Dome.

Things take time….

It was either use what we had or have none at all.

I’ll take what we got and can’t wait to get the new stuff when they are done installing everything

The Florida-Utah lack of score updates was frustrating for us. Fortunately, we were able to stream the game to my phone (YTTV over AT&T network).

The wireless and cell work is all being worked on right now JMA was hoping it would be finished by the first game. It’s a lot of work retro fitting an old stadium to have eventually some of the best wifi etc in possibly the whole country.

JMA once this is up and running, is absolutely going to use the Dome as their “test site” for other stadiums. I would expect as long as JMA is on the dome, you can expect us to be futuristic with this stuff once the initial work is finished.

Very cool because sending a text is almost impossible haha

Stats were shown consistently on the center-hung on the inner ring. No exaggeration. Consistently.

I also felt they went to top 25 scoreboard fairly regularly on the center hung, but it would go away super fast.

They were very "surface level", as Tomcat said.

You’re joking right?

They are LITERALLY as we speak, actively INSTALLING the new Wifi etc.

The project started almost the next day after we became the JMA Wireless Dome.

Things take time….

It was either use what we had or have none at all.

I’ll take what we got and can’t wait to get the new stuff when they are done installing everything
Just one more tidbit to pass along. There was another solution considered prior to the JMA agreement that involved mounting WiFi repeaters under the bench seats attached to the bottom of the benches. When it became clear that we would be able to replace the benches with individual seating that approach, which was ridiculously expensive, was discarded. WiFi has certainly been one of the most prominent complaints about the Dome experience since Wildhack came onboard. SU addressed air conditioning, lighting, sound (admittedly poorly) and concessions (with much more to come). Seating and WiFi are the last two poles in the tent. We are two years removed from a shutdown that stressed finances and fan support almost to the breaking point. Compare the 2019 Dome to what we experienced Saturday night and if you are anything but profoundly impressed with the progress, I really have to start to wonder about you. And not in a good way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom