Took care of business against a good team; a few thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Took care of business against a good team; a few thoughts

As far as the "D" back to the fundamental of tackling. They "lbs" were really bad angles on the edge. Their running back running through our arm tackles.
We have to get much better. soon
Foster has also taken some horrendous angles this year. Plays he needs to make

Wasn't the prettiest of games, but we made more plays than they did to get back in the W column at 2-2.

Devito looked poised out there on a few of the early keepers that gained some big yardage. He made some great throws on a few of the TD passes, too. Overall, easily his best game yet. As he continues to get his reps with his offense, I'm hopeful they'll continue to gel and improve. Stats... 27/35, 287 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INT... 85 yds rushing with another TD... 5 total TD.

Triston Jackson showed why he's one of the best WRs in the ACC today. A few of the plays he made were high level. We need to keep feeding that kid. He's leaps and bounds better than the next WR. 6 catches, 141 yds, 2 TDs.

Alton Robinson is a BEAST. This was one of the best games of his career, if not THE best. Dude was in the backfield nearly every play bringing pressure and causing a raucous. He's going to be paid handsomely soon enough. I'd love to see him on the GMen.

Sterling Hofrichter is ridiculous. I know it's not a glamorous position, and we certainly don't want to see much of him, but boy, when his number gets called, he more than delivers. He will also get his chance to play on Sundays.

Defensively, we need to continue to work on tackling. The 1st half defense was much better than the 2nd half. The secondary had better coverage on WMU's last few drives, but the soft zone on 3rd and long has to never be called again. It is absolutely worthless, especially when only bringing 3 down linemen. I just don't understand why these kids try to shoulder tackle. When you take out the feet, they stop moving forward. It's that simple.

The OL is obviously still a work in progress. When Tommy steps up into the pocket and fires darts, he shows his true talent. You can tell he's still not comfortable yet because he knows pressure is coming and often times, it's unblocked.

This is how I see it... take care of Holy Cross next week and rest any of the key starters who are dinged up at all. Let some of the younger kids play. With the following bye week, that gives them a full 2+ weeks to get healthy for the ACC schedule. I still have faith and I think the bye week is perfectly timed. They will continue to get better, especially on offense. They need more practice and will have ample opportunities to do so over the next 2-3 weeks.

I still think this team can win 8-9 games, maybe even 10. No one on our schedule is nearly as formidable as Clemson. They're all beatable. LGO.

I’ve never seen a team shoulder tackle more than this syracuse team under Dino Babers and Co. and I don’t understand it and get infuriated every game with it

Last edited:
Foster has also taken some horrendous angles this year. Plays he needs to make

Honestly, Foster could run a clinic focused on "worst possible angles to take". He lays some sticks on people, but my goodness, at least 2 of the WMU TDs were a result of him completely over-committing and getting beat either outside or inside.

I can understand your gripe with Bradshaw but Fredrick? No way, he's been awesome for the last two plus seasons.
He has been but he has been getting beat early more than normal don’t ya think.

He gets smoked when he plays man on a speedy receiver and gives up 7 yard curls like clockwork. He also makes a lucky breakup and does that dumb celebration

You do realize a lot of those curls are against cover 3 don’t you? You don’t want him jumping that route and have another receiver run a deep route behind him.

Kid has been awesome for us.

I thought Bradshaw was outstanding yesterday.

Looked out of position quite a bit, but he had a few nice defends on the day.

With the 15 yard PI penalty in college, if you're getting beat deep and you know it's going to be 6, do whatever you have to do to slow the receiver down. Giving up 15 yards > a potential TD. Mark Richt talked about this after the game. He knows the coaches are teaching their secondaries that.

Looked out of position quite a bit, but he had a few nice defends on the day.

With the 15 yard PI penalty in college, if you're getting beat deep and you know it's going to be 6, do whatever you have to do to slow the receiver down. Giving up 15 yards > a potential TD. Mark Richt talked about this after the game. He knows the coaches are teaching their secondaries that.

Out of position? He played press man the entire game so he couldn’t have been out of position. and half the time took the wr out of the play.