Tooting the old horn | Syracusefan.com

Tooting the old horn

DaveR52

Walk On
So I'm killing or transferring all my old documents before I have to turn in the company laptop tomorrow, and I tripped over this, my prediction for the 2012 season. Let me say this assignment was the one I hated most, as I felt it was a no-winner (pick the team to stink before it has played a game and the players and coaches hate you; pick it to be good and the fans call you a moron). In this case folks, it was blind squirrel finds acorn. It gave me a laugh.

"The Syracuse University football team would go at least 8-4 this season if it were playing last season’s schedule. The Orange is bigger, stronger, faster and – most importantly – deeper than it has been in any of Doug Marrone’s four years as coach. It actually looks like a Division I football team out there on the practice field now.

"Unfortunately, the Orange is not facing last year’s schedule. Instead, it will play only five games in the Carrier Dome. It will play what is universally considered one of the toughest nonconference slates in the nation, with a neutral site game against No. 3 USC, a road date at SEC member Missouri and two Big Ten teams in Northwestern and Minnesota. A lot of that is the school’s own doing, so it is hard to feel any sympathy for the team in that regard.

"On the flip side of the coin the Big East is down and wide open for exploitation, as no conference teams made the preseason coaches top-25 and only one (Louisville) is in The AP media top-25. Plus, West Virginia is gone to the Big 12 and has been replaced by Temple, a team perhaps on the rise but not at the same level of the Mountaineers.

"The feeling here is the Orange does much better than its seventh-place prediction in the Big East and finishes 7-5 and back in the postseason. It is a scarily optimistic prediction, as a scenario of 3-9 can be just as easily created."

Toot toot.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

So I'm killing or transferring all my old documents before I have to turn in the company laptop tomorrow, and I tripped over this, my prediction for the 2012 season. Let me say this assignment was the one I hated most, as I felt it was a no-winner (pick the team to stink before it has played a game and the players and coaches hate you; pick it to be good and the fans call you a moron). In this case folks, it was blind squirrel finds acorn. It gave me a laugh.

"The Syracuse University football team would go at least 8-4 this season if it were playing last season’s schedule. The Orange is bigger, stronger, faster and – most importantly – deeper than it has been in any of Doug Marrone’s four years as coach. It actually looks like a Division I football team out there on the practice field now.

"Unfortunately, the Orange is not facing last year’s schedule. Instead, it will play only five games in the Carrier Dome. It will play what is universally considered one of the toughest nonconference slates in the nation, with a neutral site game against No. 3 USC, a road date at SEC member Missouri and two Big Ten teams in Northwestern and Minnesota. A lot of that is the school’s own doing, so it is hard to feel any sympathy for the team in that regard.

"On the flip side of the coin the Big East is down and wide open for exploitation, as no conference teams made the preseason coaches top-25 and only one (Louisville) is in The AP media top-25. Plus, West Virginia is gone to the Big 12 and has been replaced by Temple, a team perhaps on the rise but not at the same level of the Mountaineers.

"The feeling here is the Orange does much better than its seventh-place prediction in the Big East and finishes 7-5 and back in the postseason. It is a scarily optimistic prediction, as a scenario of 3-9 can be just as easily created."

Wow, for a second there Dave, based on the title of this thread, I thought you were going to talk about your wife....:cool:

Seriously though, I always enjoy reading your take and insight and sincerely hope you continue to post on this board.

Thanks Dave for everything. Please stop by regularly!

Your posts are the first ones I look for before anyone else each time I stop by!

Thanks for everything, Dave. Please stick around.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I remember that article and loved it except for the last line!
Stay thirsty my friend!

Hope you enjoyed that Jamaican trip. Thanks for your past participation and hopefully future as well.

Many on here are suggesting you keep in touch on here. I, on the other hand, say quit while you're ahead. Your message to like ratio is remarkable, and you don't want to take a chance on messing that up. :)

hey you should have entered that in our preseason prognostication contest as you would have been in the winners circle. You coulda been a contdenda!!

Dave - Please stay in touch. Keep posting. Stay in CNY and get an SU Football gig. Thank you for truly great coverage over the years.
It would be great to have Dave get hired by SU to at least partially replace Roger Springfield. Have him do videos on SU football and lacrosse, interviews with players and coaches, maybe become the color guy on the radio broadcasts, and give him a place on the SU Athletics site to write columns/do analysis, etc.

That would be a great addition to the Orange All Access part of that website and really help the radio broadcasts.

It would be great to have Dave get hired by SU to at least partially replace Roger Springfield. Have him do videos on SU football and lacrosse, interviews with players and coaches, maybe become the color guy on the radio broadcasts, and give him a place on the SU Athletics site to write columns/do analysis, etc.

That would be a great addition to the Orange All Access part of that website and really help the radio broadcasts.

Let's flood the AD's office with ultimatums: No Rahme, no indoor practice facility! (Forgot for a second that this is the internet, so to be perfectly clear: That was a joke).

So I'm killing or transferring all my old documents before I have to turn in the company laptop tomorrow

So what's in the plans for your next venture?

I apologize if this has already been answered.

Let's flood the AD's office with ultimatums: No Rahme, no indoor practice facility! (Forgot for a second that this is the internet, so to be perfectly clear: That was a joke).

Too late, Dave. I already put a hold on my $1,000,000 donation until they tell me they're hiring you. :)

When do we find out what really happened w/ Marrone?
If he offers me a job in Buffalo . . . never.
Seriously, I had heard hints of frustration but thought I was being used as a pressure-point release and was pretty taken aback when it actually went down.

If he offers me a job in Buffalo . . . never.
Seriously, I had heard hints of frustration but thought I was being used as a pressure-point release and was pretty taken aback when it actually went down.

Seriously, he couldnt tell you everything as much as you and he were friends. Your first allegiance was to the PS...

YES!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom