Top 10 G5 Coaches ready for a move to P5 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Top 10 G5 Coaches ready for a move to P5

We need a northerner.

Macpherson
Pasqualoni
Marrone

Three most successful modern day coaches in SU history. All from tristate/new england area. Not a coincidence. I don't want to hear about how the game has evolved. It's still about relationship building w recruiting, blocking and tackling fundamentals and creating a culture of winning.
Agree. To me this has always been fairly obvious, especially for a school like SU. No coach from Texas or Georgia or wherever is waltzing into New Jersey and flipping coaches to Syracuse. Yeah, maybe a huge name would do it but we’re not getting one of those. We need a coach who understands the situation, the landscape, and actually has some love & respect for what was once a pretty good eastern football school, Syracuse. That’s most likely going to come from the NE.

Agree. To me this has always been fairly obvious, especially for a school like SU. No coach from Texas or Georgia or wherever is waltzing into New Jersey and flipping coaches to Syracuse. Yeah, maybe a huge name would do it but we’re not getting one of those. We need a coach who understands the situation, the landscape, and actually has some love & respect for what was once a pretty good eastern football school, Syracuse. That’s most likely going to come from the NE.

Just listen to the greatest of ALL time talk about Macpherson and the staff, etc. This isn't hard to figure out. Rattles off about 15 names. It's relationships and always has been.

"great guy, great person, did a great job with the Syracuse program...staff all went on to the nfl, etc etc".

there's another Macpherson out there. Stout new englander, no BS guy, good man.

I’m going with the proven commodity. Doug Marrone. He turned us completely around from the worst stretch of football ever. We had NFL players on the team and played tough.

He left us in the dust last time but I’m one for second chances.

He knows exactly what to do and has the recruiting chops to get it done.

Northeast roots. Recruiting chops in talent rich Va. He could bring half his team with him and we’d be top 3 in ACC. Those kids can thrive in ACC. JMU already best program in the state. Unlike the Liberty guy, Cig is affordable.
I am joining the bandwagon for Cignetti

I am joining the bandwagon for Cignetti
Problem is we would also be undefeated in the Sunbelt Conference. Dino has proven he can also do really well in a small conference.
The ACC is a huge difference.
Not saying Cignetti couldn’t do the job but we’ve been there and done that.

By that reasoning we would have passed on Lance Leipold, which would have been a big mistake.

We've never had a famous coach come here. We've had coaches become famous here or assistants become famous elsewhere. The most prominent coach prior to his Syracuse tenure was Ossie Solem, who had had some success at Drake and Iowa. Ben came from Muhlenberg. Frank was a linebacker coach at Michigan. Dick had been head coach at UMASS and an assistant in the pros. Paul was head man at Western Connecticut and a linebacker coach here. Robinson, Marrone and Shafer were career assistants. Dino had been head man at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green. That's who we get.

Mr. Big Name coach will demand far more money than we have paid and that will suck up money that could go to the staff, (who actually do most of the recruiting and coaching). And he'd see us as a stepping stone to get back to a better job. As Ben said "They wanted a Big-Name coach and they got a long- name coach." That's us.

We've never had a famous coach come here. We've had coaches become famous here or assistants become famous elsewhere. The most prominent coach prior to his Syracuse tenure was Ossie Solem, who had had some success at Drake and Iowa. Ben came from Muhlenberg. Frank was a linebacker coach at Michigan. Dick had been head coach at UMASS and an assistant in the pros. Paul was head man at Western Connecticut and a linebacker coach here. Robinson, Marrone and Shafer were career assistants. Dino had been head man at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green. That's who we get.

Mr. Big Name coach will demand far more money than we have paid and that will suck up money that could go to the staff, (who actually do most of the recruiting and coaching). And he'd see us as a stepping stone to get back to a better job. As ben said "They wanted a Big-Name coach and they got a long- name coach." That's us.

if i recall, MacPherson was a hire due to his relationship with Crouthamel. Jake was coaching Dartmouth and watched Dick at Umass. Do we know if JW has relationships from his ESPN days with former coaches. These are the strings that often get pulled when hires are made.

Like he hired x to be on college game day who would recommend y. I think we need to be on alert for those types of connections being made.

Two possibilities, not advocating for either, just looking for some discussion. Bill O'Brien and Al Golden. Both have been successful head coaches and have northeast roots.

Two possibilities, not advocating for either, just looking for some discussion. Bill O'Brien and Al Golden. Both have been successful head coaches and have northeast roots.

Al Golden plays defense with 10 men. Hard pass.

BoB likely has better options.

Al Golden plays defense with 10 men. Hard pass.

BoB likely has better options.
i'd call BoB for sure. Feels like a super long shot but he was put into a top 5 worst situation ever when he took over at Penn st right after Paterno. He won me over handling that situation well.

Not sure where he is lifestyle wise. Has a child with medical needs and was always a factor w his employment. Not sure if recruiting is something he enjoys. But he certainly has cache.

For him lifestyle is super important. If Belichick was fired this year not sure if Obrien will have more lucrative options within the NFL vs coming to SU

Tom Herman is interesting.

Fallen star who is a proven commodity. But I'm not sure about his recruiting -- easy to recruit when you're at Ohio State / Texas, and even Houston [given the talent-laden footprint].

I think the issue SU has is the “you can’t win at Syracuse” narrative. True or not, a lot of people believe what they hear, coaches too. So, the result is that coaches stay away because they think it’s the place their career goes to die.

The counter to that is money. Pay someone enough and they will come. The issue with that is you get a coach that “just wants to get paid, but winning might not truly be first on the agenda.

Tough spot.

Tough to turn down a job where if you have DB’s lack of success you still have a long term job.