Top 50 US TV markets and which conference(s) are located within them | Syracusefan.com

Top 50 US TV markets and which conference(s) are located within them

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

1 New York ACC/B1G
2 Los Angeles Pac-12
3 Chicago B1G
4 Philadephia B1G/AAC
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth Big XII/AAC
6 San Francisco-Oakland Pac-12
7 Boston ACC
8 Atlanta SEC/ACC
9 Washington, DC B1G/ACC/Big XII(WVU)
10 Houston Big XII/SEC/AAC
11 Detroit B1G
12 Phoenix Pac-12
13 Seattle-Tacoma Pac-12
14 Tampa-St. Petersburg ACC/SEC
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul B1G
16 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale ACC/SEC
17 Denver Pac-12/MWC
18 Cleveland-Akron B1G
19 Orlando-Daytona ACC/SEC
20 Sacramento-Stockton Pac-12
21 St. Louis SEC/Big XII/B1G
22 Portland Pac-12
23 Charlotte ACC
24 Pittsburgh ACC
25 Raleigh-Durham ACC
26 Baltimore B1G
27 Indianapolis B1G
28 San Diego Pac-12/MWC
29 Nashville SEC
30 Hartford-New Haven AAC
31 Kansas City Big XII/SEC
32 Salt Lake City Pac-12
33 Cincinnati B1G/AAC
34 Columbus B1G
35 Milwaukee B1G
36 Greenville-Spartanburg ACC/SEC
37 San Antonio Big XII
38 West Palm Beach ACC/SEC
39 Harrisburg-Lancaster B1G
40 Birmingham SEC
41 Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo B1G
42 Las Vegas Pac-12/MWC
43 Norfolk-Portsmouth ACC
44 Austin Big XII
45 Oklahoma City Big XII
46 Albuquerque MWC
47 Greensboro-High Point ACC
48 Memphis SEC/AAC
49 Jacksonville ACC/SEC
50 Louisville ACC/SEC

Totals for each conference
16-ACC
15- B1G
14- SEC
11-Pac-12
8-Big XII
6-AAC
4-MWC

If the ACC continues it uptick in football, and dominates in hoops the market shares are their for this conference to get on par with the B1G and SEC financially. Boston will never tapped for college football, but I think like NYC and Philly would support college hoops if BC made the proper investments in that sport.

Notre Dame is right outside Chicago and draws huge ratings there. I think it's fair to include the ACC there.

I could have, but ND isn't an all-sports member so I just left them out of Chicago.

When I looked at the TV markets I couldn't believe how in any metric the B1G could favor Rutgers over UConn. I get Rutgers is closer to NYC, but they aren't anymore NYC's team than Syracuse or UConn. I get NJ has good HSFB, but UConn's media market is #30 on its own and they would get you NYC just as much as Rutgers would. Plus, RU football is just step above UConn's on the mediocrity chain. B1G really made a bad choice of Rutgers over UConn. I guess the only reason the B1G favored RU was NJ has 8.8 residents and Connecticut has 3.6 million residents and they could get more cable bucks from NJ.

The B1G would get on NYC the same with UConn or RU because they are going to bundle YES with BTN that has been beyond obvious since FOX bought the controlling interest of YES from the Steinbrenner sons.

ACC has potential now if it can just seize it and in a decade they would get SEC/B1G money on the free market if they sustain football and basketball success.

I think ND is only partially part of ND as only 2 or 3 ND games are part of ACC media package every year and I think ND is still thought of as an independent and are a national school. Also, I think the AAC was overlooked as I would add NYC (UConn), Tampa (USF), Orlando (UCF), and Raleigh/Durham (East Carolina). We can debate how much, but each of the schools have some impact on the cities.

I think ND is only partially part of ND as only 2 or 3 ND games are part of ACC media package every year and I think ND is still thought of as an independent and are a national school. Also, I think the AAC was overlooked as I would add NYC (UConn), Tampa (USF), Orlando (UCF), and Raleigh/Durham (East Carolina). We can debate how much, but each of the schools have some impact on the cities.
Really? If we're talking football UConn doesn't even register. If we're talking basketball, then you have to include Notre Dame for Chicago as they are full member for basketball. 2-3 ACC games for Notre Dame will pull in better ratings in Chicago than all combined Northwestern in Chicago for an entire season.

Really? If we're talking football UConn doesn't even register. If we're talking basketball, then you have to include Notre Dame for Chicago as they are full member for basketball. 2-3 ACC games for Notre Dame will pull in better ratings in Chicago than all combined Northwestern in Chicago for an entire season.

You need to understand that the Metropolitan NYC TV market includes large parts of NJ and Connecticut, which is why UConn gets included. I think there are a lot of UConn fans in Connecticut.

I don't think any one college football team brings NYC. Rutgers? No. UConn? No. Syracuse? No. Penn St.? No. Army? No. I wouldn't assign it to any conference.

According to the often quoted NY Times article (I'm skeptical of the #s, but they have estimates), here are the NYC metro college football fans by school:

Rutgers: 607k
Notre Dame: 267k
Penn St: 186k
UConn: 150k
Michigan: 144k
Syracuse: 133K
Miami: 77k
Army: 75k
Ohio St.: 64k
BC: 61k

You need to understand that the Metropolitan NYC TV market includes large parts of NJ and Connecticut, which is why UConn gets included. I think there are a lot of UConn fans in Connecticut.

I don't think any one college football team brings NYC. Rutgers? No. UConn? No. Syracuse? No. Penn St.? No. Army? No. I wouldn't assign it to any conference.

According to the often quoted NY Times article (I'm skeptical of the #s, but they have estimates), here are the NYC metro college football fans by school:

Rutgers: 607k
Notre Dame: 267k
Penn St: 186k
UConn: 150k
Michigan: 144k
Syracuse: 133K
Miami: 77k
Army: 75k
Ohio St.: 64k
BC: 61k
That article is such a load of crap, I can't take anyone seriously that posts that. If you've been to the South, where college football is king, you'll quickly realize that it's beyond worthless. Does Auburn have more fans than Alabama? It's not even remotely close. It goes close to 75-25 in Alabama's favor. Georgia Tech is bigger than Georgia in ATL? No way in Hell. Again, close to 75-25 UGA. Also the Pinstripe bowl this past year? 75-25 in ND's favor.

That article is such a load of crap, I can't take anyone seriously that posts that. If you've been to the South, where college football is king, you'll quickly realize that it's beyond worthless. Does Auburn have more fans than Alabama? It's not even remotely close. It goes close to 75-25 in Alabama's favor. Georgia Tech is bigger than Georgia in ATL? No way in Hell. Again, close to 75-25 UGA. Also the Pinstripe bowl this past year? 75-25 in ND's favor.

OK, but don't you think there are UConn football fans in Connecticut and Rutgers football fans in New Jersey? If you think they are, large parts of those states are part of the NYC Metro TV market so including them in NYC is appropriate.

I could have, but ND isn't an all-sports member so I just left them out of Chicago.

When I looked at the TV markets I couldn't believe how in any metric the B1G could favor Rutgers over UConn. I get Rutgers is closer to NYC, but they aren't anymore NYC's team than Syracuse or UConn. I get NJ has good HSFB, but UConn's media market is #30 on its own and they would get you NYC just as much as Rutgers would. Plus, RU football is just step above UConn's on the mediocrity chain. B1G really made a bad choice of Rutgers over UConn. I guess the only reason the B1G favored RU was NJ has 8.8 residents and Connecticut has 3.6 million residents and they could get more cable bucks from NJ.

The B1G would get on NYC the same with UConn or RU because they are going to bundle YES with BTN that has been beyond obvious since FOX bought the controlling interest of YES from the Steinbrenner sons.

ACC has potential now if it can just seize it and in a decade they would get SEC/B1G money on the free market if they sustain football and basketball success.
In terms of markets the B1G probably favored Rutgers over UConn because the population (# TV households) in NJ, especially northern NJ in the NYC media market, is so much larger than CT. Fairfield County the portion of CT that falls into the NY media market is only about 20% of the CT population. Plus other factors like NJ is contiguous with Pennsylvania, RU is AAU, etc.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

1 New York ACC/B1G
2 Los Angeles Pac-12
3 Chicago B1G
4 Philadephia B1G/AAC
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth Big XII/AAC
6 San Francisco-Oakland Pac-12
7 Boston ACC
8 Atlanta SEC/ACC
9 Washington, DC B1G/ACC/Big XII(WVU)
10 Houston Big XII/SEC/AAC
11 Detroit B1G
12 Phoenix Pac-12
13 Seattle-Tacoma Pac-12
14 Tampa-St. Petersburg ACC/SEC
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul B1G
16 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale ACC/SEC
17 Denver Pac-12/MWC
18 Cleveland-Akron B1G
19 Orlando-Daytona ACC/SEC
20 Sacramento-Stockton Pac-12
21 St. Louis SEC/Big XII/B1G
22 Portland Pac-12
23 Charlotte ACC
24 Pittsburgh ACC
25 Raleigh-Durham ACC
26 Baltimore B1G
27 Indianapolis B1G
28 San Diego Pac-12/MWC
29 Nashville SEC
30 Hartford-New Haven AAC
31 Kansas City Big XII/SEC
32 Salt Lake City Pac-12
33 Cincinnati B1G/AAC
34 Columbus B1G
35 Milwaukee B1G
36 Greenville-Spartanburg ACC/SEC
37 San Antonio Big XII
38 West Palm Beach ACC/SEC
39 Harrisburg-Lancaster B1G
40 Birmingham SEC
41 Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo B1G
42 Las Vegas Pac-12/MWC
43 Norfolk-Portsmouth ACC
44 Austin Big XII
45 Oklahoma City Big XII
46 Albuquerque MWC
47 Greensboro-High Point ACC
48 Memphis SEC/AAC
49 Jacksonville ACC/SEC
50 Louisville ACC/SEC

Totals for each conference
16-ACC
15- B1G
14- SEC
11-Pac-12
8-Big XII
6-AAC
4-MWC

If the ACC continues it uptick in football, and dominates in hoops the market shares are their for this conference to get on par with the B1G and SEC financially. Boston will never tapped for college football, but I think like NYC and Philly would support college hoops if BC made the proper investments in that sport.

The new Nielsen markets list says that DC has now jumped Atlanta for 8th largest market. You can see why UMd was so coveted by the B1G. Add in Baltimore and UMd can claim to have a piece of 3.5 million tv households, which is more than Chicago.

I've seen Omni post this here, but if you add up the upstate NY media markets that were once part of the BE and are now part of the ACC network of stations showing SU games (Buffalo-Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica-Rome, Watertown-Fort Drum, Elmira-Corning, Albany-Schenectady-Troy), you wind up with just over 2.3 million tv households that would place us in your list at #10. No top 50 markets but all of the above are top 200 markets according to the latest Nielsen numbers. And if we include the Burlington,VT-Plattsburgh and Ithaca-Cortland media markets that fall just outside the top 200, then upstate NY leaps Atlanta for the #9 slot. SU doesn't really have to make much claim to the NYC market to be relevant to networks.

The new Nielsen markets list says that DC has now jumped Atlanta for 8th largest market. You can see why UMd was so coveted by the B1G. Add in Baltimore and UMd can claim to have a piece of 3.5 million tv households, which is more than Chicago.

I've seen Omni post this here, but if you add up the upstate NY media markets that were once part of the BE and are now part of the ACC network of stations showing SU games (Buffalo-Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica-Rome, Watertown-Fort Drum, Elmira-Corning, Albany-Schenectady-Troy), you wind up with just over 2.3 million tv households that would place us in your list at #10. No top 50 markets but all of the above are top 200 markets according to the latest Nielsen numbers. And if we include the Burlington,VT-Plattsburgh and Ithaca-Cortland media markets that fall just outside the top 200, then upstate NY leaps Atlanta for the #9 slot. SU doesn't really have to make much claim to the NYC market to be relevant to networks.
I wouldn't include Buffalo in that grouping because Buffalo doesn't care about SUFB like it does SUBB. I think including Rochester/Syraucse/Utica/Watertown/Elmira/Albany is fair game.
Also, the point of this isn't that SU isn't in a top 50 market. We carry our weight for our conference thru good hoops, academics, and upticking football. I just think the ACC has the potential to grow because of the markets it currently has teams in and could get better with more successful seasons.

I wouldn't include Buffalo in that grouping because Buffalo doesn't care about SUFB like it does SUBB. I think including Rochester/Syraucse/Utica/Watertown/Elmira/Albany is fair game.
Also, the point of this isn't that SU isn't in a top 50 market. We carry our weight for our conference thru good hoops, academics, and upticking football. I just think the ACC has the potential to grow because of the markets it currently has teams in and could get better with more successful seasons.

I got it. I'm just saying that the top 50 doesn't tell the whole story. A 3-4% share of 8.5 million tv households in NYC is a pretty fabulous rating for Saturday college football game featuring Syracuse but a 10% share of upstate NY viewers of the same game is roughly equivalent.

I find it hard to believe that boston's dominated by BC.

Buffalo doesn't care about college sports in general it seems.

I've been posting this for 3 years. People look at the Syracuse market and say it's small. But if you add up several of the upstate NY markets that are part of the SU sports network it is cumulatively a big market, equivalent to a top 10-12 ranking.