Tough Season | Syracusefan.com

Tough Season

AZOrange

Living Legend
But the talent on this roster is better than the outcomes indicate…

The biggest issue that we have on the field is the oline. It’s horrendous. If we can figure out how to shore that up there is some talent here.

The defense and scheme is fantastic

The biggest issue that we have on the field is the oline. It’s horrendous. If we can figure out how to shore that up there is some talent here.

Is it? Can’t throw, can’t catch, can’t block. Our issue isn’t just blocking.

Our defense deserves better.

It is? I haven’t been this down on the program in a while and that’s amazing I can even type that. Except for a few talented guys the cupboards are bare. Combine that with the fact that we aren’t going to our scheme anybody and we are in trouble unless we can get some big wins in the portal.
Need #1 and 2 WR
Need #1 QB
Need Starting OT
Need DT and DE
Need Punter

It is? I haven’t been this down on the program in a while and that’s amazing I can even type that. Except for a few talented guys the cupboards are bare. Combine that with the fact that we aren’t going to our scheme anybody and we are in trouble unless we can get some big wins in the portal.
Need #1 and 2 WR
Need #1 QB
Need Starting OT
Need DT and DE
Need Punter
The young WRS are good. Shredder is good. You are 100 percent correct on the oline and punter. Will need to reload dline.

Agree. Shredder did show he can throw. Also I thought the punter made a huge leap forward tonight. I am seriously hurting right now, but if, IF, Tucker returns and we can build on something from this season, I want one more year to see where we go before I throw in the towel completely. Babers also needs something. To improve on his own skills, and/or to bring in better support staff. We need to look to the transfer portal for some seriously big and developed players who can make an impact right away. Also Jackson and Cooper were good tonight. There was some hope. I know it is hard to find, but one more year to see if we can build this into something. I say this through tears and a glass of wine.

I disagree, I think the first part of good OL play comes pre-snap with QB reads and skill sets. The QB can help the OL a ton, or put the OL in a bad spot.

Teams are just loading up on daring us to throw the ball and the OL doesn’t have a chance.

Put a competent QB behind these linemen and I think they will be fine.

One other point that is really sticking with me. I understand that the ACCN announcers were not even in the dome but calling the game remotely. If true, this is totally unacceptable. The ACCN was Wildhack's baby. Hello. This needs to be fixed because it also sends a message to the college football world, the Syracuse players and fans and the potential recruits, that we are not even important enough for the announcers to show up. And don't pull the weather card because i know a whole lot of people who were in the Bahamas this morning and at the Dome tonight. Nothing kept them away from getting to Syracuse.

I disagree, I think the first part of good OL play comes pre-snap with QB reads and skill sets. The QB can help the OL a ton, or put the OL in a bad spot.

Teams are just loading up on daring us to throw the ball and the OL doesn’t have a chance.

Put a competent QB behind these linemen and I think they will be fine.
Watch how the oline gets beat…it’s not on the QB when the oline gets manhandled. They are getting blown off the ball in passing situations (against 4 man fronts). 56 completely whiffs half the time

One other point that is really sticking with me. I understand that the ACCN announcers were not even in the dome but calling the game remotely. If true, this is totally unacceptable. The ACCN was Wildhack's baby. Hello. This needs to be fixed because it also sends a message to the college football world, the Syracuse players and fans and the potential recruits, that we are not even important enough for the announcers to show up. And don't pull the weather card because i know a whole lot of people who were in the Bahamas this morning and at the Dome tonight. Nothing kept them away from getting to Syracuse.

Great point and I almost forgot about this with everything else disappointing. To see commentators essentially on zoom (each from different locations) was so bad. When I saw that at half time, it made sense why they were not very good with calling things on the field. Very sad.

Watch how the oline gets beat…it’s not on the QB when the oline gets manhandled. They are getting blown off the ball in passing situations (against 4 man fronts). 56 completely whiffs half the time
These are the guys who Dino and staff are recruiting so it is what it is.

"I think we're right on the verge of exactly where I want to be," he said in a one-on-one interview with Spectrum News 1 last week.

Sep, 2021…Dino

44cuse

These are the guys who Dino and staff are recruiting so it is what it is.
I’m not absolving them. But this is the root of the offenses problems. You have to control LOS. Doesn’t matter what scheme you run.

Is it bad that we continue to have 'tough season' threads year in and year out?

Albert Einstein: “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”​

Oline was the key last night.. a few of the sacks/pressures though were on the QB not seeing things and changing up protection.

still 4 on 6 should not get over powered.. Tisdale got abused.. too bad Vet/bliech got hurt need to fix the RT spot big time.

It’s hard to scheme away dramatically weak links on the OL.

You can, to a degree, but look at Bama vs Auburn.. Bama’s RT situation is a dumpster fire and Bryce Young was under siege all game. Auburn just attacked and attacked that side all game. When they shifted protection, or gave help, other issues arose.

That said, Dino has been here for a while. His job is also to recruit and develop. We’re still, barely, one deep at a ton of position groups.

So you're saying when we lost all those games in the '70s it was because of who was being recruited?
I'm talking about this years OL and when I played, we only got blown out a few times. Penn State blew us out a few times but look at the 1981 season, my senior year, and we were in every game except PSU. I didn't play against Navy (high ankle sprain) and they beat us by double digits.
It's been six seasons and with the exception of 2018, the Cuse OL play has been horrendous.

I'm talking about this years OL and when I played, we only got blown out a few times. Penn State blew us out a few times but look at the 1981 season, my senior year, and we were in every game except PSU. I didn't play against Navy (high ankle sprain) and they beat us by double digits.
It's been six seasons and with the exception of 2018, the Cuse OL play has been horrendous.
This team wasn't blown out in every game they lost this year. I take exception to posters saying the losses are all because of recruiting.

Never said this team was blown out in every game but it wasn’t pretty the final three. Maybe we view games and recruiting results with different lens but after the two injuries, the OL wasn’t good and I know Ellis is a true frosh. You can’t tell me there wasn’t a better OL on team other then #56. He killed us and I bet GS would agree.

Agreed on the OL. It was better to start the year and everyone was healthy. Especially Bleich and Rhino

Oline was the key last night.. a few of the sacks/pressures though were on the QB not seeing things and changing up protection.

still 4 on 6 should not get over powered.. Tisdale got abused.. too bad Vet/bliech got hurt need to fix the RT spot big time.
Tisdale is hideous, just as bad as that South Alabama transfer kid, except that kid had the decency to quit and put everyone out of their misery

I thought last season was tough

Frustrating would be how I'd describe this season

Never said this team was blown out in every game but it wasn’t pretty the final three. Maybe we view games and recruiting results with different lens but after the two injuries, the OL wasn’t good and I know Ellis is a true frosh. You can’t tell me there wasn’t a better OL on team other then #56. He killed us and I bet GS would agree.
I saw improvement after SU got rid of a bad OL coach. You're right that the OL was better before the injuries but that goes to depth probably some of that due to no camps last year, and no real recruiting during covid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom