Towson Game Thread... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Towson Game Thread...

Those last 3 names werent top-25 types, they have just blossomed once in college. Look at the schools they play for.

Right thats why i saidbwe didnt recruit them

Yeah he graduated from victor in 2016 and playing for Albany right now.
My point was qualifying for Albany is not the same as qualifying for Syracuse. There have been more than one players who haven't qualified at Syracuse that ended up elsewhere.

SU did recruit Ierlan who visited but I dont think we had a huge interest level, obviously a mistake but that happens. Still qw should have brought him in especially with Ben being a Senior. Just an fyi, Varello was a big time recruit so we did get a guy we were after.

I still remember this board when we lost Zack Greer.
That was the turning point down for recruiting. Glad to here we are moving back up.

We need some finishers.

Who was our last Tewaaraton Award winner?
Cuse Lax should be churning out finalists every year.

That was the turning point down for recruiting. Glad to here we are moving back up.

We need some finishers.

The next couple of classes are more like the typical SU classes of the 90s and esely 2000s. The 2013, 14 and 15 classes have been bad by SU standards 2013 especially was a total bust.

The 17 18 and 19 classes are stocked with upper level players especially on offense. SU has 3 UAs in this yearsclass and should have at least that many next year. Dordevic, Seebold, Quinn, Lauder, Matt Magnan, Cook, Berman plus hopefully Austin Staats in 2018 and maybe maybe Zack Miller next year if he wants to use his last year of eligibility

We need some finishers.

Mike Leveille 2008

We need some finishers.

2015: Finalist Kevin Rice
2013: Finalist JoJo Marasco
2011: Finalists John Galloway and Joel White
2010: Finalists Matt Abbott and Joel White

We need some finishers.

When Greer went to Bryant? He followed Pressler. Can't get mad about that.

When Greer went to Bryant? He followed Pressler. Can't get mad about that.
His original recruitment. I remembered that recruitment.

He was from Canada and his favorite player was Gait. We didn't close and he went to Duke. He was an attacker we have lacked for the most part.

I am glad to hear recruiting has ticked back up as SU should be a top 10 team every year.

His original recruitment. I remembered that recruitment.

He was from Canada and his favorite player was Gait. We didn't close and he went to Duke. He was an attacker we have lacked for the most part.

I am glad to hear recruiting has ticked back up as SU should be a top 10 team every year.
We won two NCs when he played. Nims was here then too. He would have been nice, but we werent hurt w/o him.

SU's not supplementing their athletic budget from Lax donations. Doing nothing has turned Hopkins into laughingstock and Princeton into total irrelevance. I am certainly not advocating for Dekso to be fired or any nonsense like that but weve reached a point where simply shrugging our shoulders isn't going to fly.
Thank you all the posters on this site need to look at this comment. Were not saying Desko needs to go, but you have to put him on notice. Look at UVA with Starsia. They waited too long to make a move on him and it bit them in the arse.

SU's not supplementing their athletic budget from Lax donations. Doing nothing has turned Hopkins into laughingstock and Princeton into total irrelevance. I am certainly not advocating for Dekso to be fired or any nonsense like that but weve reached a point where simply shrugging our shoulders isn't going to fly.

Keeping Desko is shrugging your shoulders IMHO

Keeping Desko is shrugging your shoulders IMHO
I wouldn't fire Desko if the administration pushed him to retire who are you hiring as the next coach?

The coach has to be someone connected to the program IMO.
Biggest problem with Desko IMO is not many of his assistants have been getting head jobs themselves.

The UNC OC is a leader for the Delaware job.
Our assistants haven't changed in a while.

I don't follow recruiting so can't comment on Cuse future classes but if you want to watch some good lacrosse over summer follow JVI channel on youtube who will be covering OLA Jr A competition for the Minto Cup
Six Nations Arrows vs Brampton Excelsiors Jr A

The next couple of classes are more like the typical SU classes of the 90s and esely 2000s. The 2013, 14 and 15 classes have been bad by SU standards 2013 especially was a total bust.

The 17 18 and 19 classes are stocked with upper level players especially on offense. SU has 3 UAs in this yearsclass and should have at least that many next year. Dordevic, Seebold, Quinn, Lauder, Matt Magnan, Cook, Berman plus hopefully Austin Staats in 2018 and maybe maybe Zack Miller next year if he wants to use his last year of eligibility
Miller is a pipe dream as he played in Denver's fall ball scrimmages and would have to pull some major strings from the NCAA to have another year of eligibility.

It will be interesting to see who transfers in and who goes out.

Went down for the game and Towson was a much bigger team and physically dominated today. Cuse should look to change their weight program and have some players bulk up. The 5'8" attackman can only do so much but if he can't hold off a defender what good is it? Looking forward to seeing some of the bigger frosh who sat out get chances and bring a bigger lineup on the field.

Towson had the right players to combat what Cuse has been successful at, midfield dodges and then being the catalyst on offense. Not sure how many points the first line had but it felt like a couple of them weren't even on the field today

It’s easy to pile on Desko right now and I’m not a huge fan, but we hit Towson playing their best ball and we had a bad game.

We had the uncharacteristic 7 penalties. We spent 6 ½ minutes man-down. Nearly half a quarter.

2nd leading man-up in the nation, we went 0-4 / Towson converted 3-7

11 turnovers most of them bad turnovers. Some crazy passes, the offsides etc. just bad.

4 or 5 piped shots and an opposing goalie that made 3 or 4 doorstep saves. In fact their goalie played out of his mind.

What makes this loss so disappointing for me is not Desko, but rather how bad we played. I give Towson some credit, their individual defense was outstanding their goalie had a career type day. But we really served the game up to them and not in a way that was Desko's fault.

Whats next? My worry is what is in the cupboard. I love the Rehfuss potential and Solomon is a solid player, Mellen an AA but that’s about it. Bomberry is a Crease guy, Tyson Bomberry is an adequate defender but not spectacular. I don’t think Voight or Trimbo really showed they might be a star in the making, but maybe. Offensively, there is nobody else. In-close defense? Is there a dominant LSM?

It’s another year of way too many question marks and hoping unproven kids step up.

I've made myself watch the game again!
If Woodall had not been healthy it would have been a different game not that I want play a game against weaker opposition! It just would have been!

The penalties hurt us! But they made the most of them and think the refs called it a little harshly.

We could have used Varello or chcanged the wings up with two poles including Tyson Bomberry on the wings!

They shot amazingly well with velocity outshooting us 40-32 for the game and 16-4 in the first quarter. We just didn't have enough shots.

I think we played our 2nd line and even a 3rd line player a little bit early in the first and second quarter, the game was already getting away from us and we needed a spark!

The defence at the start of the game surprised me, it was pretty awful, how can you not slide at all to an iso from X??!! we didn't communicate and we didn't know who the primary slide was (I think it was Bomberry and Firman), and to lose track of Seider and Lynch is beyond belief, they are known quantities! Drenner caused Firman fits!

I think our come back died on the man up opportunity in the 4th!

Did anyone notice Helmer playing SSDM at the end of the game.

I am old enough and wise enough to say this team over achieved this year and was a pleasure to watch, I still think we should have beaten Towson but it's the F/Os that decided it, Towson where better all over the field and I wish them all the best!

I feel for the seniors when you see any press conference at the end of the season (without a NC win) it breaks my heart. Scott Firman yesterday was destroyed, a dream has been crushed in front of him. We should all be proud of these seniors and they leave a huge hole in the stats! As always I still look forward to seeing the new players and how next years young team will shape up! It's exciting and the nature of College Lacrosse we have the basis of a great team here time to reload! I see Wisnauskas got a mention again in Desko press conference!

Good luck to all the Sr's and thanks for your leadership and some amazing games!

Last edited:
I've made myself watch the game again!
If Woodall had not been healthy it would have been a different game not that I want play a game against weaker opposition! It just would have been!

The penalties hurt us! But they made the most of them and think the refs called it a little harshly.

We could have used Varello or chcanged the wings up with two poles including Tyson Bomberry on the wings!

They shot amazingly well with velocity outshooting us 40-32 for the game and 16-4 in the first quarter. We just didn't have enough shots.

I think we played our 2nd line and even a 3rd line player a little bit early in the first and second quarter, the game was already getting away from us and we needed a spark!

The defence at the start of the game surprised me, it was pretty awful, how can you not slide at all to an iso from X??!! we didn't communicate and we didn't know who the primary slide was (I think it was Bomberry and Firman), and to lose track of Seider and Lynch is beyond belief, they are known quantities! Drenner caused Firman fits!

I think our come back died on the man up opportunity in the 4th!

Did anyone notice Helmer playing SSDM at the end of the game.

I am old enough and wise enough to say this team over achieved this year and was a pleasure to watch, I still think we should have beaten Towson but it's the /Os that decided it, Towson where better all over the field and I wish them all the best!

I feel for the seniors when you see any press conference at the end of the season (without a NC win) it breaks my heart. Scott Firman yesterday was destroyed, a dream has been crushed in front of him. We should all be proud of these seniors and they leave a huge hole in the stats! As always I still look forward to seeing the new players and how next years young team will shape up! It's exciting and the nature of College Lacrosse we have the basis of a great team here time to reload! I see Wisnauskas got a mention again in Desko press conference!

Good luck to all the Sr's and thanks for your leadership and some amazing games!

A lot of good thoughts here. As disappointed as we all are I think we tend to forget how crushing a blow this was to the seniors not getting to a Final 4. I felt really bad for Firman as he looked absolutely distraught during the PC. I too noticed Helmer at SSDM in the 4th but at that juncture I think they were trying to contain the damage done to Gillis. They even subbed Simmons for Gillis at one pint in the 2d. This is the unit that I think needs the biggest reload/revamp. With all of that said, I am really excited for the recruiting classes we have coming in over the next three years. The pace and quality of recruits seems to have really picked up and I'm encouraged going forward. Lots of pieces to replace next year but hopefully, it's on to bigger and better things. The one thing we all know is that the quality of the opposition continues to grow as parity becomes the norm. We are going to have to kick it up a notch to stay in the upper tier of programs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom