Towson Game Thread... | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Towson Game Thread...

I've made myself watch the game again!
If Woodall had not been healthy it would have been a different game not that I want play a game against weaker opposition! It just would have been!

The penalties hurt us! But they made the most of them and think the refs called it a little harshly.

We could have used Varello or chcanged the wings up with two poles including Tyson Bomberry on the wings!

They shot amazingly well with velocity outshooting us 40-32 for the game and 16-4 in the first quarter. We just didn't have enough shots.

I think we played our 2nd line and even a 3rd line player a little bit early in the first and second quarter, the game was already getting away from us and we needed a spark!

The defence at the start of the game surprised me, it was pretty awful, how can you not slide at all to an iso from X??!! we didn't communicate and we didn't know who the primary slide was (I think it was Bomberry and Firman), and to lose track of Seider and Lynch is beyond belief, they are known quantities! Drenner caused Firman fits!

I think our come back died on the man up opportunity in the 4th!

Did anyone notice Helmer playing SSDM at the end of the game.

I am old enough and wise enough to say this team over achieved this year and was a pleasure to watch, I still think we should have beaten Towson but it's the /Os that decided it, Towson where better all over the field and I wish them all the best!

I feel for the seniors when you see any press conference at the end of the season (without a NC win) it breaks my heart. Scott Firman yesterday was destroyed, a dream has been crushed in front of him. We should all be proud of these seniors and they leave a huge hole in the stats! As always I still look forward to seeing the new players and how next years young team will shape up! It's exciting and the nature of College Lacrosse we have the basis of a great team here time to reload! I see Wisnauskas got a mention again in Desko press conference!

Good luck to all the Sr's and thanks for your leadership and some amazing games!

yes. the early game defensive communication problems were bad - and that's on coaching - you need to call time out and get everyone back on same page. They tightened after that though so I more or less gave it a pass.

throw out the 6-0 first quarter and we outscored them 7-4 for the other 3 quarters. The penalties were crushing. It was one of those games to were the other team got all the breaks/bounces in a game of inches.

for as bad as the faceoffs looked I think it ended up even.

yes. the early game defensive communication problems were bad - and that's on coaching - you need to call time out and get everyone back on same page. They tightened after that though so I more or less gave it a pass.

throw out the 6-0 first quarter and we outscored them 7-4 for the other 3 quarters. The penalties were crushing. It was one of those games to were the other team got all the breaks/bounces in a game of inches.

for as bad as the faceoffs looked I think it ended up even.

Faceoffs ended up 10-10. Because Woodall was hurt, every time SU won the FO, we had a short 6 on 5 advantage until Woodall could get off and be replaced.

Ironically, we only gave up 1 goal during the 2 minute unreleaseable, and we won the FO after the goal (but turned the ball over which resulted in 2 more penalties).

Let me offer a comment about the post-game presser. Was it me or was it in hugely bad taste for one of the press corps to ask Desko about next year's team? Two seats down was Scott Firman who played his heart out and was clearly dying inside. He'll never get to suit up in orange again. I wish Desko had told the questioner to take the question and shove it where . . . well, you know where I'm going. There are times when I wish Coach Desko would take a lesson from Boeheim who would have made the interviewer eat his notebook. This is always the hardest part of every season, to see the seniors describe their feelings after the last game. I kind of wish that they would get a pass on the last post-game session.

I heard Beardsley on Brent Axe's show yesterday and was encouraged to hear that some of the lax alums that Rick talks to have turned on Desko.

Roll the ball out coach with no answers
Just wanted to welcome you back, as these anti-Desko posts are your 1st on the Lax Board since your anti-Desko posts following the loss to Army 3 months ago. Actually, I didn't come across a single Lax post from you that wasn't directly critical of Desko. While you're certainly entitled to your opinion & I actually agree with some of the points you've made, I sincerely hope that your dislike/disapproval of our coach didn't keep you from taking at least a little bit of enjoyment out of our exciting 13-3 season :)

been digesting this one for a while. can't bring myself to watch it again. man that first quarter killed us.
they were bringing the outside heat and nailing sector spider webs in the corners . i don't fault molloy the least here. but he wasn't really above and beyond. can't expect that every game. and the penalties. ohhhh man. once again possession time was the real killer . every time we force a TO there was a flag on the ground. i remember around the the 4 minute mark 3 orangeman chase a long pole out of bounds on a clear. he trips. but instead of SU ball it's towson's and we're 2 men down !!! 6-0 i knew it was over given the game flow. i'm glad we fought back a bit to make it respectable. really exciting season to watch . won't see that again i imagine. but for these seniors not to make F4... that's really sad. i like watching lacrosse memorial day weekend and i guess i always just took it granted. now it's all lawn work .

You're slipping.

You've only made about 10 posts this season bashing Desko.

Last year you had closer to 20.

My time is split dealing with Herm Frazier's incompetence.

Let me offer a comment about the post-game presser. Was it me or was it in hugely bad taste for one of the press corps to ask Desko about next year's team? Two seats down was Scott Firman who played his heart out and was clearly dying inside. He'll never get to suit up in orange again. I wish Desko had told the questioner to take the question and shove it where . . . well, you know where I'm going. There are times when I wish Coach Desko would take a lesson from Boeheim who would have made the interviewer eat his notebook. This is always the hardest part of every season, to see the seniors describe their feelings after the last game. I kind of wish that they would get a pass on the last post-game session.
Totally agree with this, it just made me angry... Should have told journo to show some respect.

The presser was about 2017 and this class and the journey they had been on together

I love this 2017 team and how they have fought this season, so many memories so many times listening to Kyle & Brian calling the heroics.

the highlight for me was when Tyson Bomberry scored the 8th of the 3rd Q @ UNC to bring it back to one goal deficit

People calling the season a failure or wanting Coach Desko fired are off their trolleys

Last edited:
I did not watch the presser. Calling for a coach's head is a decision taking great care. Things to consider:

1) Record this season
2) Record last five season's
3) Record overall
4) Recent past recruiting
5) Current recruiting
6) Competition level on the field
7) Competition level on the recruiting trail
8) Academic performance
9) Personal performance/ behavior of student athletes off the field
10) Potential candidates to fill the role

A failure to win championships year in an year out is not a sufficient reason to fire a coach. Especially when the competition level is increasing.

Desko has left some cause for concern but there clearly are many factors one should consider before dumping one of he best all time coaches and one of the best coaches over the past decade, even the past few years.

Desko has room for improvement. But throwing away one of the best is not a decision to take lightly.

Still stinging from this defeat. The bracket was favorable for a final four run.We had a senior laden team and still couldn't get it done. Those one goal victories were nothing but fools gold. Our coaches are usually very good x's and o's guys but they didn't bring their A game on Sunday. Overall their very good but recruiting wise it would be nice to see them step it up. Two of the final four teams are loaded with Canadians. Why don't we recruit Canada harder given our geographic proximity? Don't see us making the final four anytime soon losing players like Williams, Salcido, Mariano, Firman, and Molloy.

Totally agree with this, it just made me angry... Should have told journo to show some respect.

The presser was about 2017 and this class and the journey they had been on together

I love this 2017 team and how they have fought this season, so many memories so many times listening to Kyle & Brian calling the heroics.

the highlight for me was when Tyson Bomberry scored the 8th of the 3rd Q @ UNC to bring it back to one goal deficit

People calling the season a failure or wanting Coach Desko fired are off their trolleys
Agree on all counts. Cuse fortunate to have these coaches. Question to Coach Desko about next year should have been asked a later day. What I also found nauseating in that presser was the question to Firman about how this senior class would like to be remembered since they were the first in many decades to have never reached a Final Four,. I thought that question was hurtful, a low blow given how upsetting the loss had to be to Scott and all the seniors who just played their last game. These kids gave Cuse 4-5 years of hard work, most for little benefit and press should have treated them with more respect on the way out. Scott looked pained but answered with grace . I would have not have .

Agree on all counts. Cuse fortunate to have these coaches. Question to Coach Desko about next year should have been asked a later day. What I also found nauseating in that presser was the question to Firman about how this senior class would like to be remembered since they were the first in many decades to have never reached a Final Four,. I thought that question was hurtful, a low blow given how upsetting the loss had to be to Scott and all the seniors who just played their last game. These kids gave Cuse 4-5 years of hard work, most for little benefit and press should have treated them with more respect on the way out. Scott looked pained but answered with grace . I would have not have .
Well said. Amazing display of grace under pressure and pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom