TR | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

TR

Coleman couldn't make a layup for years. Mike Gbinije allegedly couldn't dribble as a sophomore. The coaching staff worked with them to improve on those things; that's what they're there for: player development. Roberson was let down by the staff.

What?!? So, based upon this statement, you are saying that any player who did not improve dramatically while at SU, was let down by the coaching staff. This is patently false, as your equation completely discounts the amount of effort put in by the player. It doesn't matter how hard a coach tries to teach a player, if the player doesn't put in the time or effort, or listen to the staff, then it is on the player for why improvement did not occur.

I was a big fan of Roberson, and I always rooted for him to finally have it click. Unfortunately for him, it never did while at SU. I hope it does in time for him to reach his dreams. IMO, the biggest issue, was that Roberson saw himself as a different type of player than JB saw him. He wanted to be a 3 with an outside/in game. That is what he saw himself as, and that is what he spent his 4 years at SU trying to be.

The problem with that, is that his skills did not show that he had that capability to a level that provided JB with any confidence of him doing it in a game. JB saw what he was capable of doing, and wanted him to concentrate on improving those skills. I'm not convinced that Roberson ever put enough effort (in JB's view) on improving the skills JB wanted him to improve. Hence the reason for being in the doghouse.

Unless you have played organized sports at a high enough level, it may be difficult to understand, but the worst thing you can do as a player, is NOT work on improving the skills your coach wants you to work on. This will guarantee a strained relationship between the player and the coach. Just do what he says, and things will work out. You think you have other skills? Work on them on your own time, and eventually you may be good enough to prove your worth with those skills.

Roberson was never able to prove to JB that he had the skills necessary to be the player that Roberson wanted to be. And honestly, despite being a big fan of his, he never proved to me that he was capable of it either.

Having said that, his development of certain players has left much to be desired. Once a player is in his dog house he seems to remain there. When he constantly inserts a player into the game and they make one mistake, the player is immediately pulled; that kills the player's growth.

This is not always true. Both early Dnic & Rak are examples of players who were in the dog house & worked their way out of it. It does happen, and it usually does, when the player finally admits that JB knows what he is talking about, and does as suggested. Both had confidence issues, both figured it out. Roberson had confidence issues, and never figured it out.

Now, this is not just one big rant that JB is always right, blah, blah, blah. I do disagree with some things he says and does. If he has an issue with how a player played, that should stay between him and the player. It should not be aired out in the media. However, when it comes to recognizing basketball talent, and how a players current skills can be best utilized to help the team, there are few better than JB, and none of the people who may be better waste their time writing on sports forums.

What?!? So, based upon this statement, you are saying that any player who did not improve dramatically while at SU, was let down by the coaching staff. This is patently false, as your equation completely discounts the amount of effort put in by the player. It doesn't matter how hard a coach tries to teach a player, if the player doesn't put in the time or effort, or listen to the staff, then it is on the player for why improvement did not occur.

I was a big fan of Roberson, and I always rooted for him to finally have it click. Unfortunately for him, it never did while at SU. I hope it does in time for him to reach his dreams. IMO, the biggest issue, was that Roberson saw himself as a different type of player than JB saw him. He wanted to be a 3 with an outside/in game. That is what he saw himself as, and that is what he spent his 4 years at SU trying to be.

The problem with that, is that his skills did not show that he had that capability to a level that provided JB with any confidence of him doing it in a game. JB saw what he was capable of doing, and wanted him to concentrate on improving those skills. I'm not convinced that Roberson ever put enough effort (in JB's view) on improving the skills JB wanted him to improve. Hence the reason for being in the doghouse.

Unless you have played organized sports at a high enough level, it may be difficult to understand, but the worst thing you can do as a player, is NOT work on improving the skills your coach wants you to work on. This will guarantee a strained relationship between the player and the coach. Just do what he says, and things will work out. You think you have other skills? Work on them on your own time, and eventually you may be good enough to prove your worth with those skills.

Roberson was never able to prove to JB that he had the skills necessary to be the player that Roberson wanted to be. And honestly, despite being a big fan of his, he never proved to me that he was capable of it either.

This is not always true. Both early Dnic & Rak are examples of players who were in the dog house & worked their way out of it. It does happen, and it usually does, when the player finally admits that JB knows what he is talking about, and does as suggested. Both had confidence issues, both figured it out. Roberson had confidence issues, and never figured it out.

Now, this is not just one big rant that JB is always right, blah, blah, blah. I do disagree with some things he says and does. If he has an issue with how a player played, that should stay between him and the player. It should not be aired out in the media. However, when it comes to recognizing basketball talent, and how a players current skills can be best utilized to help the team, there are few better than JB, and none of the people who may be better waste their time writing on sports forums.

World-class straw man there. Kudos.

No, I didn't state what you pretend I did in your first line.

"Boeheim in his head..." What a load of crap. Jim Boeheim did NOT determine what TRob's role would be, TRob did. Jim Boeheim had nothing to do with the fact that TRob couldn't shoot and was indecisive. Boeheim "identified" what TRob's role should be and likely communicated it but that was all on TRob. The cold hard facts are that TRob could NOT do the things we fans wanted him to do. I would have loved for him to be able to shoot 8-20 foot jumpers, but he couldn't. I would have loved for him to be a consistent rebounder but he wasn't. Hell I would have loved for him to be an inside post presence at 6'8" that we could reliably dump the ball down to and watched him lay them off the glass. But that's not who he was. And that is NOT Jim Boeheim's fault. The best players play. TRob was given more chances than most.

Nailed it.

I think Jimmy just totally mis-handled this kid. He could have been much better than he was for us.

Unless there was some behind the scenes problem that us fans did not know about, this one is on the coach. Maybe's Jimmy's worst job on handling a kid in all of his years.

World-class straw man there. Kudos.

No, I didn't state what you pretend I did in your first line.

You said the staff is there for player development, and they let Roberson down. That's exactly what you said.

How did they let him down? Because he didn't develop? JB laid out exactly what he wanted Roberson to improve upon. Roberson didn't. That's on Roberson, not the staff. Look at the video, he still is trying to be something other than what he is. He was never sold on doing what the staff wanted him to do, that's why he didn't succeed. Instead, he tries to be a square peg pounding into a round hole. Read the post again, maybe you'll get it the second time.

I think Jimmy just totally mis-handled this kid. He could have been much better than he was for us.

Unless there was some behind the scenes problem that us fans did not know about, this one is on the coach. Maybe's Jimmy's worst job on handling a kid in all of his years.
I agree for the most part, but Tyler could have done more if he just let loose and stopped over thinking on the court. Him and JB was just not a good fit but yeah, your point still stands. JB could have handled this with a little more TLC. The pressers were brutal.

You said the staff is there for player development, and they let Roberson down. That's exactly what you said.

How did they let him down? Because he didn't develop? JB laid out exactly what he wanted Roberson to improve upon. Roberson didn't. That's on Roberson, not the staff. Look at the video, he still is trying to be something other than what he is. He was never sold on doing what the staff wanted him to do, that's why he didn't succeed. Instead, he tries to be a square peg pounding into a round hole. Read the post again, maybe you'll get it the second time.
We all can read. JB treating a player like sheet publicly coupled with a staff of all guards might have had something with his lack of development.

Roberson was the one that went home over the summers to work out on his own right?

Shots are easy to change. I would guess they didn't work on his shot at SU because JB didn't want him shooting.

This is ridiculous. They didn’t work on his shot? Cmon. They worked on it every day for 4 years.

BTW...if shots were easy to change, Stevie Thompson and Paul Harris would have easily changed their shot to be good shooters. Not true at all.

I blame Roberson. He was inconsistent, didn’t show up half the time, didn’t have energy or motivation a lot of the time, and didn’t seem to get any better. I’m sure JB and the staff were frustrated at Roberson’s lack of self motivation and effort. He was good when he wanted to be. No fire in the kid a lot of the time. It’s not Boeheim’s fault or the staff’s fault the kid didn’t improve much. The kid has to look in the mirror. Maybe he didn’t put in the work. Only so much the staff can do. He let the staff and JB down, along with his teammates. Tired of hearing the kid didn’t have any confidence because of Boeheim. Roberson has to grow a pair. Can’t blame Boehiem anymore.

Last edited:
I blame Roberson. He was inconsistent, didn’t show up half the time, didn’t have energy or motivation a lot of the time, and didn’t seem to get any better. I’m sure JB and the staff were frustrated at Roberson’s lack of self motivation and effort. He was good when he wanted to be. No fire in the kid a lot of the time. It’s not Boeheim’s fault or the staff’s fault the kid didn’t improve much. The kid has to look in the mirror. Maybe he didn’t put in the work. Only so much the staff can do. He let the staff and JB down, along with his teammates. Tired of hearing the kid didn’t have any confidence because of Boeheim. Roberson has to grow a pair. Can’t blame Boehiem anymore.

God, I LOVE these type of posts

JB did a horrible job with this kid. His demeaning approach was terrible and impo is a major factor in him not doing well. I hope that JB gives up his smart arsed public put down of players. It makes him look mean spirited and does nothing but alienate his players fans and staff.
People are different.
Some players might respond positively to Boeheim's harshness.
Some won't.
A coach needs to know how to handle each.

Tyler Roberson was a four-year player Boeheim failed to develop.
That was a shame.

Would have been nice to see Tyler gain that much muscle at SU. He looks way stronger. That clearly has helped him too but should also have neen very doable on campus.

Bump! Happy Friday, peoples.
Couple of little runners, playing through some contact - still got it and came a long way! Shot looks so much better, so much less robocop.

That play at 2:17 left, where Robey out ran everyone, got the ball, the basket and the foul, is how he should have been used all along. He ran the floor better than most big men, and was almost never rewarded for his efforts. I still don't know if that was a strategy thing from Boeheim (not icing TR, but limiting possessions), or a failure of our point guards.

Why are you insulting Roberson here? He ain't blaming Boeheim. Christ. Settle down Francis.

JB don't need your help.

This is ridiculous. They didn’t work on his shot? Cmon. They worked on it every day for 4 years.

BTW...if shots were easy to change, Stevie Thompson and Paul Harris would have easily changed their shot to be good shooters. Not true at all.

First off, no they didn't work on it every day for 4 years. Not allowable.

Shots are changeable if you have a willing participant. Maybe Harris wasn't willing.

Roberson was a kid. Boeheim grown man. Disagree. Boeheim is a bully and its detrimental to our program. I’m sure many of us were not real mature and tough at 21. They still need to be nurtured. I Bach Boeheim but hate this side of him

Some people have textbook form and still aren’t good shooters.

Why isn’t Wes Johnson a better shooter than Reggie Miller? Because he’s not.

Some people can shoot, some cant.

I agree with your first post and not with your second post, but for the same reasons. We make too many assumptions about who is doing or not doing this or that. We have no idea. It is foolish to claim that Boeheim and staff never worked with Roberson. Of course they did. It is also foolish to claim that Roberson was lazy and didn't work hard enough. We have no way of knowing that and no real reason to think it. Most would agree that Roberson probably didn't reach his full potential at Syracuse, that is visible by watching his performances. Who to blame? Possibly nobody, I'm sure the staff did their best with him and I'm sure he did his best. He just lacked consistency really. Maybe our system wasn't optimized for him, but that isn't due to malice or malpractice on anyone's part. Maybe he just needed time to mature, or 100 other things affected him that we'll never know. Maybe he'll just never be consistent.

Also, one clip doesn't prove that he has overcome all that. Watch a highlight clip of him at Cameron, you'd think he was an All American.I get that its a message board and we wouldn't have much to talk about if generalizations and assumptions weren't made, but we go to the hard stops too much in my opinion.

I always liked Roberson and hope he does great going forward.

I agree with your first post and not with your second post, but for the same reasons. We make too many assumptions about who is doing or not doing this or that. We have no idea. It is foolish to claim that Boeheim and staff never worked with Roberson. Of course they did. It is also foolish to claim that Roberson was lazy and didn't work hard enough. We have no way of knowing that and no real reason to think it. Most would agree that Roberson probably didn't reach his full potential at Syracuse, that is visible by watching his performances. Who to blame? Possibly nobody, I'm sure the staff did their best with him and I'm sure he did his best. He just lacked consistency really. Maybe our system wasn't optimized for him, but that isn't due to malice or malpractice on anyone's part. Maybe he just needed time to mature, or 100 other things affected him that we'll never know. Maybe he'll just never be consistent.

Also, one clip doesn't prove that he has overcome all that. Watch a highlight clip of him at Cameron, you'd think he was an All American.I get that its a message board and we wouldn't have much to talk about if generalizations and assumptions weren't made, but we go to the hard stops too much in my opinion.

I always liked Roberson and hope he does great going forward.
This opinion is way too sensible and even-keeled, has no place here, and in no way represents the opinions of this board.
tenor.gif

Bump! Happy Friday, peoples.
Couple of little runners, playing through some contact - still got it and came a long way! Shot looks so much better, so much less robocop.

I heard some Cat Barber references. wasn't that dude a Mcdondalds AA?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom