Transfers | Syracusefan.com

Transfers

raf4488

Starter
Gonzaga just reached the final four with 3 starters who transferred into the program (Williams-Goss, Mathews, Jonathan Williams). It's fascinating to see the huge impact transfers are having on the game now, with top programs using them to build their teams from year to year.

The point is, it's not unusual nowadays to rely on transfers (Baylor and Iowa St. come to mind as well), and I wouldn't pencil us in for the NIT or CBI or whatever until the roster is finalized. Just like this year, there will possibly be a couple guys who will be major contributors that we currently have no idea about.

If we are going to get back to the tournament next year, we are going to have to get lucky with the grad transfers again .

Gonzaga just reached the final four with 3 starters who transferred into the program (Williams-Goss, Mathews, Jonathan Williams). It's fascinating to see the huge impact transfers are having on the game now, with top programs using them to build their teams from year to year.

The point is, it's not unusual nowadays to rely on transfers (Baylor and Iowa St. come to mind as well), and I wouldn't pencil us in for the NIT or CBI or whatever until the roster is finalized. Just like this year, there will possibly be a couple guys who will be major contributors that we currently have no idea about.
Two of them are regular transfers--they sat out a year before becoming eligible. That won't help SU for next season.

Some people here are done with grad transfers tho...

One of the most idiotic threads I've ever read by the way

Pisses me off thinking about it
If we get them, I'll support them and be a fan.

But I don't like the strategy. The ideas people were throwing around about being Grad Transfer U... that sounds terrible to me.

Sometimes transfers work out, sometimes they don't.

Not picking on OP but it happens so often around here when something happens every so often it turns into something much bigger than it really is.

Transfers are nice, but not all the time. For every G there's a 72. For every Wes Johnson there's an Ethan Cole.

Reminds me of the days when Roberson would hit one mid range jump shot a month and right after it you'd hear "Roberson but that J, that's all he needed to get this place thinking he's now a solid mid range shooter.

Some people here are done with grad transfers tho...

One of the most idiotic threads I've ever read by the way

Pisses me off thinking about it

Consider the source.

But I don't like the strategy. The ideas people were throwing around about being Grad Transfer U... that sounds terrible to me.

You don't reject a highly rated freshman for a grad transfer. But when you're in a bind, which we were and possibly are, you take what you can get.

Andrew white had a historically great year for us. It's masked because we were overall, very average. The dude killed it. And gillon singlehandedly won us games.

You don't reject a highly rated freshman for a grad transfer. But when you're in a bind, which we were and possibly are, you take what you can get.

Andrew white had a historically great year for us. It's masked because we were overall, very average. The dude killed it. And gillon singlehandedly won us games.
Oh I agree. White and Gillon were good for us. White in particular will go down as one of my favorites. I love shooting forwards in the White/Southerland/Nichols mold. And Gillon's heroics were what makes being a fan worth it.

That said... for one season I can get why we went that route. The staff wasn't ready for Malachi to go, or for Book Worm Assassin to be a bust, and we had the scholarship reductions.

Two seasons in a row though, because we crapped the bed recruiting highschool point guard talent. Eh...

Really? The grad transfer has a resume and four years to show that they can mentally and physically handle college. If you recruit freshmen fantastically, these days they're one year players anyway. Why not take the less risky one year player?

It's not a strategy,it's a necessity. How would you handle and plan for fringe players that leave for the draft every year well before their eligibility is up?

It's not a strategy,it's a necessity. How would you handle and plan for fringe players that leave for the draft every year well before their eligibility is up?
Well, two things. Mentally I think people can't be caught off guard by people leaving for the draft. Roster volatility should be expected. It is what it is.

Second, I'd say our program has done a poor job historically of utilizing all of our scholarships. Sure, we have restrictions now, but even when we haven't had that it seems like we give a lot of scholarships out to walk-ons. We could do a better job of roster management.

This off-season it will be particularly frustrating, because we had a clear need at point guard and could have locked down Isaiah Washington and had a much stronger chance with other top flight prospects like Matt Coleman and instead we let Quade Green play us. So, if people want to say going the 5th year route is due to necessity, its necessity we creates for ourselves by making mistakes elsewhere.

Really? The grad transfer has a resume and four years to show that they can mentally and physically handle college. If you recruit freshmen fantastically, these days they're one year players anyway. Why not take the less risky one year player?

Depends on the situation I guess. How deep is our roster? Where are the weaknesses? Where is the transfer coming from and what has he done so far? Basically what I mean is, I'm not passing on MCW for a 5th year guy who played decent at a smaller school to come in.

Grad transfers absolutely can help, we saw it this year at least most of us, but primarily for when your roster is in a bind.

Ideally its not the best way to go, but when guys are constantly leaving early, you have no other choice.

Ideally its not the best way to go, but when guys are constantly leaving early, you have no other choice.

Yes, this.

Remember - Grad Transfers are like Plan Z at that point. Break glass in case of emergency.
You've already exhausted all your other, more traditional options, if you still have openings at that point.
So then, what's the harm?
You get guys with some modicum of proven, known ability, and hope it translates to your system.

Given our shortage of scholarships due to sanctions, we don't want to "save" a slot or 2 for transfers, but if they go unfilled, then we'd better be getting VERY busy in the Grad transfer market again this year.
We need players, period.

We're still in need of a lead PG, and a shooting wing.
Maybe we get Tucker, and then only need a guard. Ayala? Duarte? Who knows.
If not, then look for 2 more Grad transfers, like Gillon and White.

As Dasher aptly said, if we didn't have Gillon and White this year, we're BC.
Maybe worse. :vomit:

Depends on the situation I guess. How deep is our roster? Where are the weaknesses? Where is the transfer coming from and what has he done so far? Basically what I mean is, I'm not passing on MCW for a 5th year guy who played decent at a smaller school to come in.

Grad transfers absolutely can help, we saw it this year at least most of us, but primarily for when your roster is in a bind.
Who said anything about passing on players, especially McD AA's?

The reason to add grad transfers is simply to add players to play immediately and to ensure a legit roster. We weren't adding White and Gillon last year if we had top freshmen coming in at those positions. It'll be the same this summer where we likely have to add a PG and shooting wing to make up for roster deficiencies and to have a better chance to succeed in '17-18.

Who said anything about passing on players, especially McD AA's?

The reason to add grad transfers is simply to add players to play immediately and to ensure a legit roster. We weren't adding White and Gillon last year if we had top freshmen coming in at those positions. It'll be the same this summer where we likely have to add a PG and shooting wing to make up for roster deficiencies and to have a better chance to succeed in '17-18.
Yes

up the scholie numbers by 2 . smaller schools ain't gonna like it but their kids ain't jumping early.
basketball has changed dramatically the last decade and we need to keep up with the new reality.

Last edited:

The problem with this year's team was we didn't have "big game" players. White got shut down, once people started game planning for him. Same with Gillon. And Rico never really became a big time guy this year. Too deferential to the other guys, didn't get nearly enough shots.

agreed, they did an awesome job getting to the NIT. it's a great strategy and I hope we load up on as many grad transfers as possible going forward.

agreed, they did an awesome job getting to the NIT. it's a great strategy and I hope we load up on as many grad transfers as possible going forward.

Still on that kick that White and Gillon were the problem this season?? Brilliant. Where would we have been without them?

It isn't what we did with them. It's what we would have been without them. White was the only Orangeman do make a all ACC team. can you imagine our offense without him? Or Gillon? yeah, Howard and Roberson full time. Good lord.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom