Trevor, come onnnn bud. | Syracusefan.com

Trevor, come onnnn bud.

Eric15

Living Legend
You received a ton of playing time in the first half and didn't take a single shot, and never really even looked to shoot. We have only 7 players - you not being part of our offensive productivity is simply unacceptable.

You received a ton of playing time in the first half and didn't take a single shot, and never really even looked to shoot. We have only 7 players - you not being part of our offensive productivity is simply unacceptable.

Yeah, but he really never appeared open to get off any shots. And, one thing is clear watching him, he has a very limited handle and, therefore, can not create anything for himself. Combine that with being relatively slow a foot, and it's not suprising he was basically a pure non-factor in this game, especially with the way Pitt always plays D and their trademarked mug ball.

when the kid shoots people get mad because he's not making it, but when he doesn't shoot people get mad...

i thought he was fine today overall.

I get mad when he airballs wide open looks, and I get mad when he doesn't shoot at all. I don't think it's unreasonable to get mad at a player for two equally infuriating things.

No one passed him the ball but, to be sure, Pitt players were in Orange shorts on every outside opportunity. It would be nice, though, if SU could for once unleash someone like a Keith Friel, Mike Marra or Kyle Kuric to explode off the bench. Cooney, can you answer that call? That's about what it would have taken today to beat Pitt in their house.

P.S.: Gotta give Pitt props for excellent interior passing of the kind needed to break down the zone. Still, if Cuse hadn't turned the ball over so much, we would have had a much better shot at a win.-VBOF

I get mad when he airballs wide open looks, and I get mad when he doesn't shoot at all. I don't think it's unreasonable to get mad at a player for two equally infuriating things.
Haha ok i hear you

You can't score if you don't shoot. Could have used another scorer or 2 today.

Did anyone even pass him the ball?? If they want him produce try running some plays for him or something? Just a scapegoat

He had the ball on a 2-on-1 and it looked like he didn't know what to do. His indecision resulted in a non-shooting foul on Pitt

No one passed him the ball but, to be sure, Pitt players were in Orange shorts on every outside opportunity. It would be nice, though, if SU could for once unleash someone like a Keith Friel, Mike Marra or Kyle Kuric to explode off the bench. Cooney, can you answer that call? That's about what it would have taken today to beat Pitt in their house.

P.S.: Gotta give Pitt props for excellent interior passing of the kind needed to break down the zone. Still, if Cuse hadn't turned the ball over so much, we would have had a much better shot at a win.-VBOF

Forget about an explosion off of the bench...how about a basket or two?

lil' gerry and red gotta be in this kids ear sayin' "we're down to 7. you can't just mail it in no more."

He had the ball on a 2-on-1 and it looked like he didn't know what to do. His indecision resulted in a non-shooting foul on Pitt

Right he went up and the Pitt player went with him so he went to dump it off to Brandon for an easy lay-up and he was fouled in the process. Clearly a stupid play by him.

A 2-on-1 should result in either an easy hoop or 2 foul shots

I thought he did the right thing tbh - the angle never perfect, so I could see him being somewhat concerned with the defensive player jumping the pass. He drove into the man - tried to dump it off at the last second.

Not the worst play.

Right he went up and the Pitt player went with him so he went to dump it off to Brandon for an easy lay-up and he was fouled in the process. Clearly a stupid play by him.

He held it too long, he's gotta pass it to triche right away, triche would either drive and score or get a shooting foul.

Plus our last possession in 1st half, shot clock winding down and cooney is dribbling up top with no where to go while cj is clapping his hands begging for ball. Cooney ignores him and dribbles into traffic which leads to a turnover.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

He held it too long, he's gotta pass it to triche right away, triche would either drive and score or get a shooting foul.

Plus our last possession in 1st half, shot clock winding down and cooney is dribbling up top with no where to go while cj is clapping his hands begging for ball. Cooney ignores him and dribbles into traffic which leads to a turnover.

That was pretty frustrating

I thought he played that fine. Passing too early turns it into a 1v1 break instead of 2v1, because Cooney would have been trailing. He attacked, drew the defender and dropped it off to Triche. Ref happened to call a foul that could have easily been a no call especially given the game up to that point.

I laughed at the people saying we needed a third guard going into the season. I'm no longer laughing.

I know hes been more of a running joke on here but I really wanted Mookie to come back for his senior year, just had this suspicion we were going to need him, sure enough :bang:

I know hes been more of a running joke on here but I really wanted Mookie to come back for his senior year, just had this suspicion we were going to need him, sure enough :bang:

I like Trevor, but he has that look of a kid who might be more comfortable at a mid major. He doesnt do anything at a high major level. Maybe if we give him 10 mpg for the next 2 years, he will turn into Rautins for his senior campaign

Cooney seems like he is just not in the frame of mind to have any confidence out there. You can see it with his ball handling & his shots.

I am hoping he makes up his mind to just go out & play like he's in a pick up game, & maybe he will start hitting a lot of those shots.

I like Trevor, but he has that look of a kid who might be more comfortable at a mid major. He doesnt do anything at a high major level. Maybe if we give him 10 mpg for the next 2 years, he will turn into Rautins for his senior campaign

Good point, I think your right about Trevor. Kid could probably excel at a place like Butler ( I know there good), Davidson, Ind St, Valpo, etc. Hes a red shirt freshmen so its way to early to write him off but when I watch Cooney play I dont see a high end Div 1 level guard at least not yet.

That was bad. He looked to want the defender to step up so he could make the pass, but the defender sagged and Cooney was a little slow in deciding to attack the hoop.

He was visibly mad at himself, though - he knew it.

Not to go too crazy in defending him, because I've been disappointed myself, but I think some of the criticism intensifying is due to our other guards being so underwhelming at times this year (especially as we go deeper into the schedule).

I think he's perfectly capable of giving us a few minutes here or there to give our guys a blow - he played fine today. When JS was around and we were scoring nobody seemed anywhere near as concerned with him overshooting the rim by 20 feet. We've seen a few good shooters come in and look like crap their Freshman years as well so it's not the first time growing pains like this have been witnessed (maybe not quite this bad - lol).

Triche has never put up the same shooting numbers as his Frosh year not because he's regressed, but because he was on a talented offensive team where open looks/good shots were fairly easy to come by. Cooney doesn't have that luxury - and that certainly doesn't help. I think at this point if one our PG/SG was a Devo, or Dion (better shooters/slashers/scorer types) nobody would be all that concerned w/ TC's play - it's because we're a guard orientated team with a couple fairy inconsistent guards that we WANT, or probably NEED, more from the third guard.

TC just doesn't have that to give - I still think he's a useful player down the road though. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he can't figure it out at this level, or at least I'm willing to give him another year to prove it one way or another.

Not to go too crazy in defending him, because I've been disappointed myself, but I think some of the criticism intensifying is due to our other guards being so underwhelming at times this year (especially as we go deeper into the schedule).

I think he's perfectly capable of giving us a few minutes here or there to give our guys a blow - he played fine today. When JS was around and we were scoring nobody seemed anywhere near as concerned with him overshooting the rim by 20 feet. We've seen a few good shooters come in and look like crap their Freshman years as well so it's not the first time growing pains like this have been witnessed (maybe not quite this bad - lol).

Triche has never put up the same shooting numbers as his Frosh year not because he's regressed, but because he was on a talented offensive team where open looks/good shots were fairly easy to come by. Cooney doesn't have that luxury - and that certainly doesn't help. I think at this point if one our PG/SG was a Devo, or Dion (better shooters/slashers/scorer types) nobody would be all that concerned w/ TC's play - it's because we're a guard orientated team with a couple fairy inconsistent guards that we WANT, or probably NEED, more from the third guard.

TC just doesn't have that to give - I still think he's a useful player down the road though. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he can't figure it out at this level, or at least I'm willing to give him another year to prove it one way or another.

Fair points.. MCW and Triche's last of speed/explosion make it so they dont ever have to be double teamed or have anyone help against them, making for a crowded perimeter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom