Trevor, come onnnn bud. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Trevor, come onnnn bud.

I'm pretty sure that of the 3 SU guards, TC is not the one people should be taking shots at in the wake of that game.

Yeah, all things considered this may be our worst all-around shooting backcourt since god knows when.

Thues/Deshaun???? Probably some more recent, not sure though....

Cooney getting all this attention is kind of odd.

Didnt BT have 2 airballs today himself?

No. That was MCW. BT had 1.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

i'll see your pair of airballs and raise you 2 bank in threes ...

Hmmm...I can only guess you have at least a pair of Cooney's. I'll call. And I'll raise you 2 mishandled entry passes, 3 jump balls and two hacks.

patterson will have to play some back up pg, so it actually may save some pt for TC.

Cooney can't transfer he already sat out a season. if he transferred it would have to be D2 or lower
What a stupid rule. Can anyone explain the reasoning?

What a stupid rule. Can anyone explain the reasoning?

Its not a rule. What he means os that if he xferred to d1 he'd have to sit a year and would only have 2 left thus playing only 3 years of college.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

The Cooney apologizing now is getting disturbing. He was supposed to play an integral role off the bench this year for this club to be elite. He was supposed to be the first guard off the bench and our key three point shooter. We knew coming into the season we didn't have any spot on shooters starting - Cooney was supposed to be the guy.

He's provided NOTHING. Maybe he just doesn't have it in him this year. Maybe he will pick it up down the road. But to say he hasn't been a major, MAJOR disappointment for this team this year is not being truthful. Maybe there was a reason he shot badly his senior year in HS - maybe he is not the "knock down shooter" we thought he was supposed to be coming into this tear. Yeah I hope he comes around. But give me a break - we live and die with two guards on this team. He simply isn't doing what he was brought in here to do.

The Cooney apologizing now is getting disturbing. He was supposed to play an integral role off the bench this year for this club to be elite. He was supposed to be the first guard off the bench and our key three point shooter. We knew coming into the season we didn't have any spot on shooters starting - Cooney was supposed to be the guy.

He's provided NOTHING. Maybe he just doesn't have it in him this year. Maybe he will pick it up down the road. But to say he hasn't been a major, MAJOR disappointment for this team this year is not being truthful. Maybe there was a reason he shot badly his senior year in HS - maybe he is not the "knock down shooter" we thought he was supposed to be coming into this tear. Yeah I hope he comes around. But give me a break - we live and die with two guards on this team. He simply isn't doing what he was brought in here to do.

I just don't think that's true.

One, James was supposed to be that guy.

Second, Cooney was supposed to provide shooting, but I would imagine if you re-read the pre-season prognostications most people thought MCW was going to be a far better shooter, and most of the board still tends to think BT is a great three point shooter.

Anything he was going to give us was going to be a luxury in that regard. Since three point shooting was supposed to be his forte ppl are mad at it hasn't panned out (because we REALLY need it now), and because neither MCW nor BT is shooting the lights out it's more of a glaring problem. However, his role was always destined to be no more than the the guy that spells those two. Our lottery pick and senior SG, both of whom were always going to average well over 30+ minutes...Cooney was never going to be a big rotation guy - just the "as needed" SG that gives the other two a blow here and there. If he was shooting 50% from three he would have forced his way on the court, but that would have been the only way. At least imo.

While I agree he hasn't had the year I expected him to he really didnt get any spacing yesterday for an open shot . That is what he needs to work on as well as not deferring so much. He is playing as if he doesn't want to make a mistakevwhichvis a bad way to play d1 college ball.

I get mad when he airballs wide open looks, and I get mad when he doesn't shoot at all. I don't think it's unreasonable to get mad at a player for two equally infuriating things.
MCW had two airballs,where are his critics!? Our defense made their bigs [ adams & Taylor ] look great...No one passes to our bigs because of their " hands of stone " syndrome......

cooney was brought here to be that 40% perimeter threat (think matt roe,janulis,monroe) who could open up space inside by drawing defenses out. right now the D'S have collapsed and dare us to shoot.

I just don't think that's true.

One, James was supposed to be that guy.

Second, Cooney was supposed to provide shooting, but I would imagine if you re-read the pre-season prognostications most people thought MCW was going to be a far better shooter, and most of the board still tends to think BT is a great three point shooter.

Anything he was going to give us was going to be a luxury in that regard. Since three point shooting was supposed to be his forte ppl are mad at it hasn't panned out (because we REALLY need it now), and because neither MCW nor BT is shooting the lights out it's more of a glaring problem. However, his role was always destined to be no more than the the guy that spells those two. Our lottery pick and senior SG, both of whom were always going to average well over 30+ minutes...Cooney was never going to be a big rotation guy - just the "as needed" SG that gives the other two a blow here and there. If he was shooting 50% from three he would have forced his way on the court, but that would have been the only way. At least imo.

Well I disagree here. We've watched Brandon for 3 years and we all knew he was streaky. The knock on MCW - even in HS - was his shooting. James is the forward spark. Cooney was supposed to be the shooting guard spark 0ff the bench. Instead we live and die with two guards because we essentially get nothing from our 3rd guard.

cooney was brought here to be that 40% perimeter threat (think matt roe,janulis,monroe) who could open up space inside by drawing defenses out. right now the D'S have collapsed and dare us to shoot.

No one is daring TC to shoot.

I posted this before Cooney needs to play his ass off all summer against great comp. Not syracuse players but something international. He simply needs to play and he might just end up being ok

i'm saying he needs to understand and embrace his role. same for mcw and brandon.same for the bigs.
right now the whole is not greater than the sum of it's parts. we're simply playground one on one BS.

Did anyone even pass him the ball?? If they want him produce try running some plays for him or something? Just a scapegoat

When 1 out of 3 attempts is an air ball, well, you've got to think twice about passing to him.

i'm saying he needs to understand and embrace his role. same for mcw and brandon.same for the bigs.
right now the whole is not greater than the sum of it's parts. we're simply playground one on one BS.

We have no outside shooters. Thus everyone drives the ball to the rim. This team is broken offensively without Southerland to open up the floor, and without having Coleman to at least try to throw up a shot from the low block.

Two comparisons: DNic came in as a heralded three-point shooter but became a deer-in-the-headlights early on. Mookie came in with the same rep and never developed. Let's hope TC follows the DNic comparison; unlike Mookie, at least he plays defense.-VBOF

you realize that Cooney, Rak, and MCW all stepped foot on campus at the same time right?
Huh?
So...what's your point?
Cooney is a RS freshman who's never experienced competition at this level.
Rak started EVERY game last year, and indeed, got a good taste of this level of comp when having to step in for Fab. He played great at Cincy and the expectation was he'd make the customary sophomore jump, which simply hasn't happened... yet.
MCW played some last year, not as much as some would like, but he showed enough to get the keys to the car.

The fact that they all set foot on campus at the same time is beside-the-point, IMO- its their playing experience that ultimately matters.

I don't mean to get on the bash wagon but I've never seen someone regarded coming in as a "pure shooter" that consistently misses as badly as he does. How badly he misses many times is what concerns me. I understand that GMac, Andy, Shump, DNic, Janulius, Roe etc. all missed badly every once in a while but dude has had some real bad looks this year and some have been wide open where he can't get his feet beneath him. Hope he can eventually turn it around but starting to have my doubts.

I don't mean to get on the bash wagon but I've never seen someone regarded coming in as a "pure shooter" that consistently misses as badly as he does. How badly he misses many times is what concerns me. I understand that GMac, Andy, Shump, DNic, Janulius, Roe etc. all missed badly every once in a while but dude has had some real bad looks this year and some have been wide open where he can't get his feet beneath him. Hope he can eventually turn it around but starting to have my doubts.
For most of their first coupla years Andy, DNic, Janulius, and especially Matt Roe- looked like deer-in-the-headlights. Roe used to drive me fricken' nuts!
TC is a FROSH, he's gonna be more than fine, IMO- just not this year, unfortunately.
The only "pure-shooter" frosh that came in with massive swag was GMac- he had cujones from the first game to the NC.
Those kinds of kids are rare, as we all know. ;)

For me, my disappointment in regards to Cooney is primarily due to preconceived expectations based upon some of the comments made about him during his redshirt season. Heard how he was really lighting it up in practice, such a pure shooter, etc. Even JB himself made a comment or two last year about how well he was doing and how he utterred if we weren't so stacked at guard, he could've seen some playing time now, and that he hasn't had anyone here likely to benefit as much as he will from the redshirt...or something along those lines.

In Saturday's game, offensively speaking, when Cooney was in, along with our bigs, it just felt like we were playing 3 on 5. :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom