Trevor, come onnnn bud. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Trevor, come onnnn bud.

If Cooney doesn't show something this year, he is going to have a REALLY tough time next year. From the sounds of it Gbinje is going to take some guard minutes and Ennis will surely get his at the point or back up point depending on whether MCW is here. Patterson brings alot of the things that coaches love, defense, defense and defense...oh yeah, other than defense, he also seems to be a solid all around guard. I am hoping Cooney settles in and starts to feel comfortable in his role and next year we have a deep and talented back court.

For me, my disappointment in regards to Cooney is primarily due to preconceived expectations based upon some of the comments made about him during his redshirt season. Heard how he was really lighting it up in practice, such a pure shooter, etc. Even JB himself made a comment or two last year about how well he was doing and how he utterred if we weren't so stacked at guard, he could've seen some playing time now, and that he hasn't had anyone here likely to benefit as much as he will from the redshirt...or something along those lines.

In Saturday's game, offensively speaking, when Cooney was in, along with our bigs, it just felt like we were playing 3 on 5. :noidea:

Perhaps Boeheim and GMac were just blowing smoke about Cooney, but I wouldn't doubt that he does light it up in practice. It just seems like his problems are almost completely due to a lack of confidence. Even a bad shooter would not miss as badly as he does at times. He has a quick release and good range on his shot. IMO if he can get his head in the right place he will be a solid player. There's a reason why he was recruited by a slew of Big East and ACC schools.

For most of their first coupla years Andy, DNic, Janulius, and especially Matt Roe- looked like deer-in-the-headlights. Roe used to drive me fricken' nuts!
TC is a FROSH, he's gonna be more than fine, IMO- just not this year, unfortunately.
The only "pure-shooter" frosh that came in with massive swag was GMac- he had cujones from the first game to the NC.
Those kinds of kids are rare, as we all know. ;)

Revisionist history - Roe only played here for 3 years - basically didn't play as a frosh (only 10 attempts), but then hit 40.7% as a soph (74 makes) a 47% mark from 3, as a junior, still a school record.

I would bet that Cooney has more airballs per attempt than any of the people you listed. He hits some, but he misses wide open shots really really badly. He needs to calm down and play like he did with MCW and Rak in AAU ball, where he was a vital component of their team.

Perhaps Boeheim and GMac were just blowing smoke about Cooney, but I wouldn't doubt that he does light it up in practice. It just seems like his problems are almost completely due to a lack of confidence. Even a bad shooter would not miss as badly as he does at times. He has a quick release and good range on his shot. IMO if he can get his head in the right place he will be a solid player. There's a reason why he was recruited by a slew of Big East and ACC schools.

I hear ya, but at times it appears Cooney could possibly even lose a game of PIG against this guy. :p

Revisionist history - Roe only played here for 3 years - basically didn't play as a frosh (only 10 attempts), but then hit 40.7% as a soph (74 makes) a 47% mark from 3, as a junior, still a school record.

I would bet that Cooney has more airballs per attempt than any of the people you listed. He hits some, but he misses wide open shots really really badly. He needs to calm down and play like he did with MCW and Rak in AAU ball, where he was a vital component of their team.
Hey, that 40.7% as a Soph was probably accumulated vs the Colgate's & Siena's of the world, not GTown or SJU.
All I know is that Matt Roe rarely hit a memorable, meaningful 3 that changed or influenced the outcome of a MAJOR game.
And if he did, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Bottom-line, I believe Cooney will be more than fine, once he gets his feet under him. I hope to resurrect this thread, just like the numerous "Rautins is a disaster" threads, when Andy was struggling.

Good points also, Cooney is a redshirt Freshmen who was not injured and had a full year in the program.

Good points also, Cooney is a redshirt Freshmen who was not injured and had a full year in the program.
A full year in the program is not equivelent to a full year of game play. The year in the program shows in Trevor understanding of the defense. Rak has been in the program playing for two years and still has his problems with defense. The shooting for both of them will come.

This is EXACTLY what I want from Cooney. He's 1-3, all good looks, and he's playing with confidence.

Hey, that 40.7% as a Soph was probably accumulated vs the Colgate's & Siena's of the world, not GTown or SJU.
All I know is that Matt Roe rarely hit a memorable, meaningful 3 that changed or influenced the outcome of a MAJOR game.
And if he did, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Bottom-line, I believe Cooney will be more than fine, once he gets his feet under him. I hope to resurrect this thread, just like the numerous "Rautins is a disaster" threads, when Andy was struggling.

Dude, he hit 70+ that year - he hit them against everybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom