Trudo article on sticking with Shafer... | Syracusefan.com

Trudo article on sticking with Shafer...

supp

Hall of Fame
Anyone else see this? Surprised no one is talking about it. Perhaps I'm reading too much into things but he makes it sound like some of the younger guys have lost faith and aren't responding to coaching. There may be some context missing from the quote and they might be talking more generally about going through the motions at the end of a difficult year but if accurate, it undercuts some of the talk about their complete faith in Shafer and massive roster disruption if he is canned.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ott_shafer_tim_lester.html#incart_river_index

Last edited:
At this point there wouldn't be a massive roster disruption if a change is made. It was a little blown out of proportion weeks ago but definitely not true now.

"This offense is unstoppable"

That is where my reading of the article became stoppable

Every offense works if you don't stop yourself . which ones are easier? Not this one

qdawgg said:
At this point there wouldn't be a massive roster disruption if a change is made. It was a little blown out of proportion weeks ago but definitely not true now.

It was always a ludicrous claim made by those who were really tied to Shafer for whatever reason.

There never was going to be.

The system doesn't allow for it.

No one wants to sit out a year.

No team wants any of our players bad enough to use up a roster spot and wait a year.

If players are so mad that they want to go play for an FCS, then by all means.. That's really the only option.

You really think so, I do not
It was always a ludicrous claim made by those who were really tied to Shafer for whatever reason.
You really think so, I do not. What about how he called a PS writer a coward when they anonymously reported why 2 freshman were suspended. I would take legal action against that paper. Disgusting. I look at the people who have liked my posts, they generally post minimally. Like I said it is the grease wheel monkeys who make the loudest noise. Poor, just poor. Old, just Old. People of character can disagree, however

You really think so, I do not. What about how he called a PS writer a coward when they anonymously reported why 2 freshman were suspended. I would take legal action against that paper. Disgusting. I look at the people who have liked my posts, they generally post minimally. Like I said it is the grease wheel monkeys who make the loudest noise. Poor, just poor. Old, just Old. People of character can disagree, however
college sports is much more than wins and losses

I don't really know where this left turn was headed, but... Didn't Shafer seem angry with the person who fed the PS the story, not the PS itself? If I recall, it almost seemed like he was accusing one of the players for leaking it. That's who he was upset with.

GHLF said:

Maybe we can cut Shafer's salary to $150,000 or $50,000 for every win. I'm sure he'll be happy with that since he's apparently in coaching for more than wins and losses and a means to make a huge salary.

I agree to an extent. I just think there have to be a few more wins before that becomes an overriding factor in the consideration.

I don't really know where this left turn was headed, but... Didn't Shafer seem angry with the person who fed the PS the story, not the PS itself? If I recall, it almost seemed like he was accusing one of the players for leaking it. That's who he was upset with.

Yes, that was my take too - it sounds like a player leaked it:

"Shafer said he understood and respected why the reporter published the story, but took issue with the anonymous sources who informed Syracuse.com of Sheppard and Ealey's failed drug tests.

"I think it's shameful, in my opinion, that any private information on an 18-year-old kid (get leaked)," Shafer said. "I think that's a cowardice, anonymous source, in my opinion., I hate it. I hate it. I think it's cowardice.

"If you can't step up and say, 'Hey look, I'd like to talk about my teammates.' Wherever the source came from, I think that's cowardice so I struggle with that."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb..._football_drug_policy.html#incart_river_index

leftytg said:
college sports is obviously much more than wins and losses. college sports is about ruthlessly exploiting free labor to make billions as a non-profit, all while peddling the guise of amateurism.

Outstanding.

college sports is obviously much more than wins and losses.

college sports is about ruthlessly exploiting free labor to make billions as a non-profit, all while peddling the guise of amateurism.
oh come on, what does this have to do with discussion about shafer. get over yourself.

GHLF said:
You really think so, I do not You really think so, I do not. What about how he called a PS writer a coward when they anonymously reported why 2 freshman were suspended. I would take legal action against that paper. Disgusting. I look at the people who have liked my posts, they generally post minimally. Like I said it is the grease wheel monkeys who make the loudest noise. Poor, just poor. Old, just Old. People of character can disagree, however

I have no idea what that has to do with the the claim that players are going to leave the program in droves if Shafer is fired.

They aren't.

supp said:
Anyone else see this? Surprised no one is talking about it. Perhaps I'm reading too much into things but he makes it sound like some of the younger guys have lost faith and aren't responding to coaching. There may be some context missing from the quote and they might be talking more generally about going through the motions at the end of a difficult year but if accurate, it undercuts some of the talk about their complete faith in Shafer and massive roster disruption if he is canned. http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...ott_shafer_tim_lester.html#incart_river_index

I didn't get that at all from the article. Lost faith and not responding to coaching? Don't see it and I know of at least 5 young guys where that is very far from the truth. I think it's more about the young guys having confidence in themselves as well as being frustrated simply because this losing stuff might be foreign to them.

Crusty said:
This team lost faith weeks ago and it is not just younger players. Just because they play hard doesn't mean they are all in on the staff.

Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?
From comments from a few player's families. Very much like Trudo's comment in the article. Some I take with a grain of salt - others I don't. It seems to me to be a natural thing for kids who have probably never been a part of a losing team to question what is happening every week. It must be devastating to them.

I would have been far more surprised not to hear grumbling.

There is something called the first amendment. You would look ridiculous if you tried to take legal action against a paper for printing a story.

From comments from a few player's families. Very much like Trudo's comment in the article. Some I take with a grain of salt - others I don't. It seems to me to be a natural thing for kids who have probably never been a part of a losing team to question what is happening every week. It must be devastating to them.

I would have been far more surprised not to hear grumbling.
anecdotal nonsense

anecdotal nonsense
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you don't even know what was said. Trudo basically implied the same thing.

Many are not happy with his behavior either.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you don't even know what was said. Trudo basically implied the same thing.

Many are not happy with his behavior either.
it's not an opinion. without defined sources your statements are by definition anecdotal.