Tucker on 44 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Tucker on 44

There are bigger stages than SU. We are rarely on network TV. Playing Top 25 teams and greater TV exposure in this NIL world has to be enticing to any kid.
There are bigger stages and likely more competition too. As I said, more risk and less reward than Walker. I didn't all risk and no reward.

If you don’t think Tucker is at least going to consider transferring you have your head in the sand about what’s going on here.

The kid is good enough to win a Heisman. He’s not going to go to a team and “sit behind other RBs” or anything like that. Teams are going to offer him through back channels and promise him the number 1 spot.

The kid wants a bowl and the Heisman and to be drafted. And all three of those look iffy at best at Syracuse currently.

I hope he stays and I think he’s one kid that may stay but you can not sit here and say that there is no chance because there is a going to be a solid chance that A LOT and I mean A LOT of programs are going to reach out to him and sniff around.

I agree the Heisman is likely never to happen for him while at SU, but to be drafted, it doesn't matter if he plays for Alabama or Abilene Christian (don't know if they have a football program) :). My point is, the scouts will find him. It's not like he is some unheard of player that will not get drafted in 2023. Scouts were onto Garrett Williams last year...on a 1-10 team...at a far less sexy position. Tucker can get to the NFL playing here, and I'd argue it'll be easier than if were at Bama/OSU splitting carries with other top notch guys like Treyveon Henderson...or whoever Bama rolls out there next season.

As far as 44. Completely botched opportunity by the University, which comes as no surprise. This kid deserves it more than anyone.

I agree the Heisman is likely never to happen for him while at SU, but to be drafted, it doesn't matter if he plays for Alabama or Abilene Christian (don't know if they have a football program) :). My point is, the scouts will find him. It's not like he is some unheard of player that will not get drafted in 2023. Scouts were onto Garrett Williams last year...on a 1-10 team...at a far less s e xy position. Tucker can get to the NFL playing here, and I'd argue it'll be easier than if were at Bama/OSU splitting carries with other top notch guys like Treyveon Henderson...or whoever Bama rolls out there next season.

As far as 44. Completely botched opportunity by the University, which comes as no surprise. This kid deserves it more than anyone.

So I guess I should refine what I’m saying….. he will get drafted, yes but he won’t be a top draft pick…which means less money in the NFL.

He decided to transfer to say an SEC/B1G school, he will be going to a school that is going to guarantee him full time duties.

If he can win a Heisman elsewhere and be too 3 round draft pick….he would almost be silly not to go because the money would be substantially better. And at the end of the day that’s what these kids are going for.

They have loyalties to schools but it’s not like a fan. They are going to go wherever they have the best opportunity…and we all would do the same thing.

Which why, Tucker leaving AFTER this season is a huge risk.

Tucker is too good of a kid to leave mid season.

So playing games on the ACCN and RSNs is good for his brand? That will help his Heisman chances and NIL income? His draft prospects (not drafted or not but what round)? We have played 3 games the last 2 seasons on ABC/EPSN. Over the last 5 years we are 10th in the ACC for ABC/ESPN games.

Assuming Pitt doesn't lose, we will have played 3 Top 25 teams this year. Last year we played 4. In 2019 we played ONE. In 2017 and 2018 we played 3 each season. You don't think kids want to play in big games and Bowls?

RSNs stink, ACCN is fine. Not sure if Purdue will be on the B1G Network.

His draft prospects have nothing to do with that. Scouts go to the games.

I totally get that and it has always bothered me that Joe Morris doesn't get the acclaim of the players of my youth simply because we have made such a big thing out of #44. It really sucks.

But the people of my generation will be gone before long...I'm checking my watch and it says "don't make any short term plans"...and with them will go the legend. Maybe a young kid coming up will idolize Sean and maybe he will want to wear his number. Maybe Floyd's grandson will wear 44 but all the future good RB's will want to wear 34. Maybe. Probably not, but maybe.

I completely admit that this scenario is far-fetched but for current fans who weren't around 55 years ago to see the last great 44, someday they will be telling younger fans about Sean and not about the 44's. When I was a kid I heard a lot about Vic Hanson from older folks who had watched him in both sports. He was a big deal. Now? The average SU fan has never heard of him.

Even if nobody ends up remembering #34, they will remember Sean Tucker. Maybe the player will become more important than a number that some guys wore when I was a kid and then was sealed in a display case.
It really has nothing to do with Sean Tucker.

He is a terrific running back. Is he a superstar? I wonder about that.

What it's really about is marketing Syracuse University Football.

Right now, the Program has no story to tell.

If Sean - or some other notable RB - were given No. 44, it would be a headline in the sports world. It would run as a lead story on ESPN, and would include a whole package of video and storytelling, including the "Story of No. 44" with Jim Brown and those who followed.

It would bring back "The Express" - the first African-American to win the Heisman and would tell the story of the three-time AA Floyd Little.

It would prompt Stephen A and whomever to debate the bringing the number back.

It would place Syracuse University Football in the college football spotlight.

It would promote a really cool tradition - the passing down of a number to honor the GOAT - Jim Brown.

It would, in the process, inspire high school players to learn about the Legend and the Program - and perhaps cause them to aspire to pursue the number.

It's such a no brainer it's not even funny.

Last edited:
RSNs stink, ACCN is fine. Not sure if Purdue will be on the B1G Network.

His draft prospects have nothing to do with that. Scouts go to the games.
Purdue game is at the Dome next year so it will not be on B1G Network. I would expect ACC Network at worst. UConn is a road game so that could be on CBS Sports Network so everyone start getting ready for that.

Is there actually anybody saying there is no chance he leaves?

Yeah. :confused:

Prob same ones who said no QB would transfer here to sit the bench behind a figure NFL draft pick in TD. Lol

So I guess I should refine what I’m saying….. he will get drafted, yes but he won’t be a top draft pick…which means less money in the NFL.

He decided to transfer to say an SEC/B1G school, he will be going to a school that is going to guarantee him full time duties.

If he can win a Heisman elsewhere and be too 3 round draft pick….he would almost be silly not to go because the money would be substantially better. And at the end of the day that’s what these kids are going for.

They have loyalties to schools but it’s not like a fan. They are going to go wherever they have the best opportunity…and we all would do the same thing.

Which why, Tucker leaving AFTER this season is a huge risk.

Tucker is too good of a kid to leave mid season.

Dino has built this offense around Sean Tucker and this is Tucker's team! He is not going to get the opportunity to showcase his ability at very many schools like the opportunity he currently has at Syracuse. Running backs rarely win the Heisman trophy anymore, if he transferred for that reason it would be foolish.

I will concede your point about fans having more loyalty to schools than the players have. However, Tucker likely has a lot of loyalty to his teammates and coaches. Tucker is flourishing in this system at Syracuse and this is not a terrible team. Football is a brotherhood, and it would be surprising if he left all of this teammates and coaches to compete in a new system and environment for his final season of college football. NFL scouts know who Tucker is and he will get lots of attention at Syracuse next year whether he wears #34 or #44.

Let Go Orange!

We don’t know when he changed his mind. Could have been weeks ago. So we don’t know the timing.
We do know the exact timing of the announcement. We also know the timing of his statement saying he would be proud to wear 44. And his teammates supporting it.
I think Dino made a mistake by basically giving the former 44s the decision making power. He should have said that Tucker embodies all of the qualities. Academics, Character, athletic accomplishments but that hes going to leave the decision up to the administration.

Many of us talk about how NY6 bowls are now meaningless (which I disagree), but now we’re worried Tuck will transfer to chase one? He’s going in the NFL after next season most likely, the only reason to transfer for the last remaining season before eligibility would be NIL opportunities and to raise his brand. I just don’t think it’s worth transferring when he’s already on a team whose offense is essentially built around him.

We do know the exact timing of the announcement. We also know the timing of his statement saying he would be proud to wear 44. And his teammates supporting it.
I think Dino made a mistake by basically giving the former 44s the decision making power. He should have said that Tucker embodies all of the qualities. Academics, Character, athletic accomplishments but that hes going to leave the decision up to the administration.
Was it really an announcement, or was someone in a podcast asking him his thoughts on the number?

If Tucker couldn’t transfer to another school and be the star player there or even the star RB. Is he really a Heisman hopeful or top player in the country. Can’t have it both ways. He’s either one of the best players in the country or not.

And FYI, I have no skin in the game. I’ve learned a long time ago with recruiting, never say never. The argument a player wouldn’t leave SU because he has it made here doesn’t work recruiting highly rate recruits so it doesn’t work here either. “Kids” do things all the time we don’t understand, who knows what he’s thinking. I don’t and don’t even want to guess. If anything happens I’ll find out about it and that’s about all I can control.

Also for a school known for media and an AD the same what a colossal failure sticking a mike in front of a grieving widow and letting her kill the tradition.

44 is over dead and buried if Tucker never wears it. Don’t ever sell any merch with that number and rub it in peoples faces. It’s like SU golf or baseball.
That was beyond insane.

Dino has built this offense around Sean Tucker

He did??? When??? He was buried on the depth chart not that long ago. Had Covid and opt outs not happened he’d be still sitting on the bench. DB didn’t even know what he had for talent.

Remind me of the Rutgers game that wasn’t that long ago. When Tucker scored a TD to put SU in the lead and then never touched the ball again. Is that an example of the offense being built around Tucker?

This staff probably had to read this board to realize how good Tucker was.

So playing games on the ACCN and RSNs is good for his brand? That will help his Heisman chances and NIL income? His draft prospects (not drafted or not but what round)? We have played 3 games the last 2 seasons on ABC/EPSN. Over the last 5 years we are 10th in the ACC for ABC/ESPN games.

Assuming Pitt doesn't lose, we will have played 3 Top 25 teams this year. Last year we played 4. In 2019 we played ONE. In 2017 and 2018 we played 3 each season. You don't think kids want to play in big games and Bowls?
In fairness we do have the big ND game at home next season. That will give Tuck plenty of exposure.

He did??? When??? He was buried on the depth chart not that long ago. Had Covid and opt outs not happened he’d be still sitting on the bench. DB didn’t even know what he had for talent.

Remind me of the Rutgers game that wasn’t that long ago. When Tucker scored a TD to put SU in the lead and then never touched the ball again. Is that an example of the offense being built around Tucker?

This staff probably had to read this board to realize how good Tucker was.
Seems like you must have stopped watching after the Rutty loss… since GS took over the offense has been almost entirely been around those two and the read option. Agree with your take on Rutgers but you’re pulling at straws if you think Tucker hasn’t been featured enough since…

Seems like you must have stopped watching after the Rutty loss… since GS took over the offense has been almost entirely been around those two and the read option. Agree with your take on Rutgers but you’re pulling at straws if you think Tucker hasn’t been featured enough since…

Read what I wrote. Not what I said or what I was replying to directly. The offense wasn’t built around Tucker. Sounds like the coaching staff wrote it for good pub. We’re featuring Tucker (and GS) now that the staff kind of fell over realizing Tucker was kind of decent. If Covid hadn’t happened last year our Heisman hopeful would still be riding the bench.

It really has nothing to do with Sean Tucker.

He is a terrific running back. Is he a superstar? I wonder about that.

What it's really about is marketing Syracuse University Football.

Right now, the Program has not story to tell.

If Sean - or some other notable RB - were given No. 44, it would be a headline in the sports world. It would run as a lead story on ESPN, and would include a whole package of video and storytelling, including the "Story of No. 44" with Jim Brown and those who followed.

It would bring back "The Express" - the first African-American to win the Heisman and would tell the story of the three-time AA Floyd Little.

It would prompt Stephen A and whomever to debate the brining back of the number back.

It would place Syracuse University Football in the college football spotlight.

It would promote a really cool tradition - the passing down of a number to honor the GOAT - Jim Brown.

It would in the process inspire high school players to learn about the Legend and the Program would aspire great athletes to pursue the number.

It's such a no brainer it's not even funny.
You seem to be confusing Sean's current statements and my personal feelings about #44. Right from the start I have advocated for giving him the number. Right from the start. You are correct; the program currently has no story to tell. None. Of course it is about marketing SU football and the tremendous upside of keeping the tradition alive. Who does not understand that? Anyone?

And from my personal communication with the AD they are botching it this year.

Perhaps he will get it next year but I can understand how he might feel the way he now does. Everybody and their dog wants him to wear #44. The ghost of Joe Paterno probably wants him to wear it. But there is awkward hemming and hawing from SU, statements from Rob Konrad and Floyd's widow, and it has become a somewhat embarrassing circus for a kid who appears to be pretty humble. And I disagree with you; it has a LOT to do with Sean Tucker because if Sean didn't exist the number would be still locked in a vault, and it would be yet another year removed from past greatness without anyone caring. It is solely because of his performance this year that we are even having this discussion. As for "greatness", he is close to that by the standards of SU and certainly by the standards of the ten who have worn the number since Jim Brown. We get too hung up on Jim, Ernie, and Floyd; there were many before Jim and ten after him. Sean is as deserving as most of them and when he seemingly has to jump through hoops to please the self-appointed keepers of what little flame there is left in the tradition, is it any wonder why he might think about blazing his own trail?

Of course it is a no-brainer to give him #44; you and I both know it and that is what has made it frustrating for we fans and very likely for Sean as well.

Read what I wrote. Not what I said or what I was replying to directly. The offense wasn’t built around Tucker. Sounds like the coaching staff wrote it for good pub. We’re featuring Tucker (and GS) now that the staff kind of fell over realizing Tucker was kind of decent. If Covid hadn’t happened last year our Heisman hopeful would still be riding the bench.
I am sure the poster was referring to the current offense, so it really has nothing to do with last year.
Featuring vs built around, kind of just semantics.

73653291.jpg

I am loving some of the nostalgia in this thread. I can't say the same for the fan paranoia or conspiracy theory type posts though. I have zero concerns about BMT transferring. Some of you all hang out in the twitterverse to much. Relax and let's see if Syracuse puts their game face on Saturday.

I am sure the poster was referring to the current offense, so it really has nothing to do with last year.
Featuring vs built around, kind of just semantics.

I’m talking about this year too. They’ve NOW built around Tucker, it’s not the same as building an entire offense around here from the start. They fell into realizing how good he was. It’s not like DB identified it originally, then designed a whole offense around Tucker. I guess you also don’t realize DB’s offenses historically are built around a strong running game.

Read what I wrote. Not what I said or what I was replying to directly. The offense wasn’t built around Tucker. Sounds like the coaching staff wrote it for good pub. We’re featuring Tucker (and GS) now that the staff kind of fell over realizing Tucker was kind of decent. If Covid hadn’t happened last year our Heisman hopeful would still be riding the bench. Maybe your pulling at straws looking for a way to jump in the conversation.
I would say the offense at the beginning of the year was built to play to the strengths of both Tommy and Tucker. Once Dino realized that GS’s legs out-factored Tommy’s arm, the switch was made. I think even Dino would admit that in hindsight GS starting from day 1 would have been the right move.

As for Tucker not starting off the bat, I would bet there are very few true RBs (outside of the factory schools) that come in freshman year and start game one. Especially with 2 returning RBs who got a majority of the carries a year prior. The fact that he came in and did what he did shows how special he really is. Credit needs to be paid to the coaches for putting him in that position despite the opt outs.

44 that man! (If he actually wants it of course)

It wasn’t an “announcement”. The podcast host brought it up and asked him near the end. If the question wasn’t asked I doubt Sean even mentions it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom