Tucker, Williams | Syracusefan.com

Tucker, Williams

We are never going to be able to out-recruit Clemson or FSU. They get 4- and 5-star recruits left and right, and going after those same types of players would be a losing strategy.

Instead, the key is to have solid systems in place on both sides of the ball, and to find the best system fits we can for our schemes. And also to scout like hell, to make sure that the players we bring in are athletic enough to compete against ACC caliber competition.

So far, our coaches seem to be doing a solid job of identifying talent. We also have to "grow" linemen up to ACC size -- that seems to be the strategy they are taking with OL, get guys who are good athletes with big frames that can add 25+ pounds without sacrificing the athleticism. Will be interesting to see how the next few classes shape up at DT, but clearly the 3-3-5 enables us to recruit to our strengths [DB and LB].

None of the above means that every recruit is a diamond in the rough, but I trust the coaching staff's eye for talent.

We are never going to be able to out-recruit Clemson or FSU. They get 4- and 5-star recruits left and right, and going after those same types of players would be a losing strategy.

Instead, the key is to have solid systems in place on both sides of the ball, and to find the best system fits we can for our schemes. And also to scout like hell, to make sure that the players we bring in are athletic enough to compete against ACC caliber competition.

So far, our coaches seem to be doing a solid job of identifying talent. We also have to "grow" linemen up to ACC size -- that seems to be the strategy they are taking with OL, get guys who are good athletes with big frames that can add 25+ pounds without sacrificing the athleticism. Will be interesting to see how the next few classes shape up at DT, but clearly the 3-3-5 enables us to recruit to our strengths [DB and LB].

None of the above means that every recruit is a diamond in the rough, but I trust the coaching staff's eye for talent.
Your first two sentences, Kind of what I was getting at indirectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom