Tuesday's Departure Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday's Departure Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Judah Mintz we’re talking about. He’s going to want to maximize his announcement, so he’s the big story of the day. That probably means waiting until Carey and Hima make their announcements. I wouldn’t be surprised if he waits until next Tuesday, so that pesky little tournament doesn’t still his thunder. Gotta build that brand.

As a bonus, he gets to string along the fan base that turned on him.
Well OK-
as long as expectations fulfilled!

What I find funny is how posters in the know say all these guys think they are going to the NBA, yet according to Brian Higgins, any body we recruit in the portal will cause incumbent players to transfer out due to competition threats to their minutes. If you think your a pro, why you running from competing with another college player? Such a joke.
Heard an interview with Demetris Nichols on ESPN Syracuse. He said he was determined not to get beat out by Paul Harris, who was coming in as one of the top recruits in the country. He said it forced him to work harder. DNic did not run from competition like today's soft, entitled players.

619ZKDSCt1L._SY425_.jpg
I just got this book and have read a few chapters. Looking forward to finishing it.

I mean these are people with 4 year careers. Only 60 guys get drafted by the NBA and 20+ are foreign or other non NCAA picks. 2nd rounders don't stick. Maybe 20 college players enter the NBA annually realistically. They are stupid to not squeeze every penny of NIL they can get.

Most of us have 50 year careers but have to change jobs regularly to get raises.

A Judah Mintz type whos probably as good as a FR as he is a SR and just misses the NBA is leaving money on the table if he doesn't play for 3 teams in his 4 year career.
This is sad. Since I got out of the Marines in 1992 I have had three jobs.

This was his year. This was his team. He failed his audition. He's never going to play in the NBA. He lacks the toughness and character.
I tend to agree. But sometimes kids need a wake up call. This very well could be it. Does he really want what he dreams of? Some kids rise to the occasion and some kids fade away and take the easier path. I don’t think some kids realize how difficult it is to reach the NBA and play in the NBA. They all take it for granted.

Ultimately, he is about to be a 21 year old Junior. He’s in the 11th hour and the clock is close to hitting midnight.

Looks like he stayed about the same with a slightly worse assist to turnover ratio. His complaining was markedly steeped up though.

Are we SURE he is leaving? (Confession: I have not read whole thread.)

I wonder if some of the borderline kids are waiting for a potential coaching change? If GMac gets one of the open mid-major jobs, could he pull Cuffe or Westry away? Or make it more likely to portal somewhere else?

Mintz would be foolish to test the NBA waters again unless he is set on going G league. He can’t shoot, doesn’t get his teammates going and is lazy on defense. In time he may develop into a great player. He can draw fouls with the best of them. But absolutely nothing in his game currently transitions to the NBA.

Not sure if it’s true. But someone said you can only declare for the draft 2 times. Or maybe it was withdraw 2 times. Hypothetically he enters this year drops out. Then the following year he enters and gets injured. At that point he would have to stay in the draft. IMO it’s always better to have that last chance to exit the draft if something really bad happens. You really never know. He gives that ability away if he tests the waters again this year when he is clearly not ready. I would think it is pretty obvious to most coaches what he needs to work on. Now he just has to buy in.
I hear what you are saying. But on the other hand, he is 20 years old and turns 21 in July which is old for his year. The longer he stays in college the less attractive he gets to the pros. If he really is offered 750,000 to play at Georgetown or another school, he might actually be better off taking 500,000 to play on a two-way contract in the G league. Because the 250,000 will be more than offset by his diminished value when he tries to go pro as a 22-year-old. There is likely a team that is willing to take a chance on him because he can score with both hands and has a solid handle. And they will see his stroke at the foul line and from mid range and observe that it isn’t terrible to the extent his three-point shot is. So perhaps the team will think they can fix him. It won’t cost them that much money relatively to find out.

Many people thought he was going to go pro last year when it made absolutely no sense for him to do so because he had obvious weaknesses, was at best a late second round pick and this year‘s draft is weak. One could argue that it is also common sense for him to go pro now and start getting paid before his age is such that teams will pay him less in the future due to his age. Simply put teams are more likely to take a shot on a flawed younger player with some useful parts of his game who they will have more time to work with and evaluate as opposed to a guy who has kicked around college.

This is sad. Since I got out of the Marines in 1992 I have had three jobs.

When I was in my 20s, first working in NYC, I changed jobs about every 3 years until I hit my early 30s. Then I had a job for 10 years. Moved up to Syracuse, had a couple jobs for about 2 years each, then had one for 14 years. Now, I've been working for myself for the last 4 years. People over 50 have little hope of retaining jobs these days. They had better be figuring out how to work for themselves as they hit their mid-40s.

Heard an interview with Demetris Nichols on ESPN Syracuse. He said he was determined not to get beat out by Paul Harris, who was coming in as one of the top recruits in the country. He said it forced him to work harder. DNic did not run from competition like today's soft, entitled players.
I guarantee you that if SU players from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s had the ability to transfer like players do now, most of them would have bailed instead of hanging around to “face competition” or whatever oldsters tell themselves to seem tougher.

It’s not a generational thing. It’s a rules thing.

Anyone have any insight into why Mintz isn't in the portal?
The portal is about marketing.
Mintz thinks he's on par with the stars who are still playing - in the NCAA Tournament (and maybe even those in the NIT).
He's holding his cards close.
I wouldn't expect him to come out until the Elite Eight or Final Four.

The portal is about marketing.
Mintz thinks he's on par with the stars who are still playing - in the NCAA Tournament (and maybe even those in the NIT).
He's holding his cards close.
I wouldn't expect him to come out until the Elite Eight or Final Four.
Mintz isn’t good enough for the NBA.

2 years of NIL bidding wars. Might as well let the season end.

He makes sense for small schools too if your someone like URI pay him a mil sell some tickets and see what happens he’s better than Carey.

I guarantee you that if SU players from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s had the ability to transfer like players do now, most of them would have bailed instead of hanging around to “face competition” or whatever oldsters tell themselves to seem tougher.

It’s not a generational thing. It’s a rules thing.
Why not both?

Keep going. You can still make this the second-most ridiculous hot take of the season.
Chill spiderman don't get your tights in a knot.

Probably a smart business decision for Mintz to at least pretend there's a chance he's back at Syracuse next season. Get the other schools to max their offers.

I have no idea how any of this works.*
Helps explain the new social media pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online