Twin Towers | Syracusefan.com

Twin Towers

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Hope we see fab and bmk out there together at times this season, who's gonna score in the paint with those 2? Was almost just as impressed with baye as i was with fab last nite, he just looked alot more quicker and athletic, looks like a pogo stick with the high socks, and had a couple real nice jump hooks.

Ugh...that's probably the worst nickname you can come up with.

Why don't we recruit a SG with unlimited range from Hawaii and call him "Pearl Harbor".

Hope we see fab and bmk out there together at times this season, who's gonna score in the paint with those 2? Was almost just as impressed with baye as i was with fab last nite, he just looked alot more quicker and athletic, looks like a pogo stick with the high socks, and had a couple real nice jump hooks.
Don't see wither of these guys being able to defend a good 6'7" forward, nobody plays two centers on the floor at the same time especially in a zone.

Ugh...that's probably the worst nickname you can come up with.

Why don't we recruit a SG with unlimited range from Hawaii and call him "Pearl Harbor".
Yeah because twin towers hasn't been used before to describe two big front court players... Come on. I'm sensitive to 911 but i doubt anyone thought of that reading this post.

Yeah because twin towers hasn't been used before to describe two big front court players... Come on. I'm sensitive to 911 but i doubt anyone thought of that reading this post.
It was popular to use it before 9/11. Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutumbo were the most recent "Twin Tower" combo that came to memory.

It has faded into oblivion in the last decade. It was obviously a good nickname back in the day, now it's dated and out of place.

It was popular to use it before 9/11. Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutumbo were the most recent "Twin Tower" combo that came to memory.

It has faded into oblivion in the last decade. It was obviously a good nickname back in the day, now it's dated and out of place.

Oh please. Ive heard it used plenty of times since 9/11. Even broadcasters during a game will mention it, like "so and so is using their twin towers lineup." You'll hear it alot during laker games if bynum and gasol are playing at same time.

What other phrase has been used to describe 2 centers playing at the same time other than twin towers?

And heres an article from a couple weeks ago that mentions twin towers.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-to-go-big-get-a-center-for-twin-towers-look/

Wow. Until you just mentioned it had gone right over my head. I didn't equate the nickname to 9/11 at all and thought of it in basketball terms. I was wondering what Seattle meant by the Pearl Harbor comment. Now I know I guess.

How soon they forget -- Rick and AO were one of the best sets of "twins" SU has ever had under the basket, the one cleaning up what the other spilled and both with commendable FG percentages. Their two-man games underneath were a beauty to behold. I'm not sure Melo and Baye will be at that level yet, but I'd love to be wrong.-VBOF

Wow. Until you just mentioned it had gone right over my head. I didn't equate the nickname to 9/11 at all and thought of it in basketball terms. I was wondering what Seattle meant by the Pearl Harbor comment. Now I know I guess.

Hahaha... I started cracking up at the pearl harbor comment, but I read through the OP's post like five times trying to figure out where the hell the comment was that sparked it... had no idea til I saw it mentioned later... man, I'm such an unfeeling dick.

I thought the Pearl Harbor nickname was just a commentary on the proliferation of unoriginal and bland nicknames. In that context it was pretty funny. Why didn't we cal Janulus "Drago" or "Cold War" or something.

+1

I thought the Pearl Harbor nickname was just a commentary on the proliferation of unoriginal and bland nicknames. In that context it was pretty funny. Why didn't we cal Janulus "Drago" or "Cold War" or something.

Vitale- "And Georgetown's on the mat! Pandemonium has broken out in DC!!! What went from a friendly basketball game has turned into a blood bath, BABYYYYY!!!!!"

Janulius- "I cannot be defeated... If Hoya dies... HE DIES!!!!"

+2 I saw the title and immediately thought he was referencing "Fab and Christmas".

I really don't have an issue with that reference in terms of sports. It's been around forever. You can't stop using the phrase because of what happened. What, were Americans not supposed to say 'Pearl Harbor' anymore either? It would be a disservice to the people who died to bury the term. It's embedded in the sports vernacular and is not used in a disrespectful way. Nothing wrong with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom