Ty Jerome / Hunter / Guy / Diakite | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ty Jerome / Hunter / Guy / Diakite

yeah i hope clark becomes a starter for UVA...not nearly as good as guy/jerome...UVA will take a big dip if they are relying on him to keep the team on top. not seeing it with him...

He had a tough game against us and played only limited minutes. He had real issues initiating the offense against our zone and his size was a detriment against our length in both ends. Jerome killed us at the point (14 assists) and Guy killed us outside when Clark was out which was all but 6 minutes in the second half. He needs to greatly improve his shooting and play making skills (he’s an excellent ball handler) to even come close to replacing Jerome as their point guard - so someone else will need to emerge, which Bennett has been able to pull off before.

A post on our board says a mock draft has Hunter #5 to the Hawks and Jerome #20 to the Celtics.

Yeah, ESPN has them going #5 and #30 respectively right now. Hunter would be a fool not to remain in the draft. I think remaining in is probably the right call for Jerome if he's looking like a first rounder as well, but it's at least defensible if he wants to return to UVA.

Yeah, ESPN has them going #5 and #30 respectively right now. Hunter would be a fool not to remain in the draft. I think remaining in is probably the right call for Jerome if he's looking like a first rounder as well, but it's at least defensible if he wants to return to UVA.
He says he's hiring an agent, so seems he's 100% gone now.

UVA minus Hunter and Jerome will be similar to what Villanova was last season after their title...a decent team but not a contender.

If Jerome is projected as a first rounder, dude should take the money and run. I don't see his stock getting much, if any better next year. He's a crafty player at the college level, but he does not appear to be very athletic at all, and he will struggle immensely getting by defenders in the NBA, as his typical left hand push offs he constantly got away it in college won't matter much. He reminds me a lot like Ennis, except a better outside shot. Speaking of his outside shot, he unlike Guy, really doesn't have a true jumper, more of jumper/set hybrid type without much elevation. This will be an issue in the NBA as well, along with the time it takes to get his shot off. Just my opinion of course, from what I've seen of him.

If Jerome is projected as a first rounder, dude should take the money and run. I don't see his stock getting much, if any better next year. He's a crafty player at the college level, but he does not appear to be very athletic at all, and he will struggle immensely getting by defenders in the NBA, as his typical left hand push offs he constantly got away it in college won't matter much. He reminds me a lot like Ennis, except a better outside shot. Speaking of his outside shot, he unlike Guy, really doesn't have a true jumper, more of jumper/set hybrid type without much elevation. This will be an issue in the NBA as well, along with the time it takes to get his shot off. Just my opinion of course, from what I've seen of him.

Agreed. Everyone knows he can shoot and is smart as hell, so all another season does is put his limited athleticism as the main negative talking point and add another year to his age.

Well this is good news.

Of course it probably just clears the way for their next under the radar guy to blow up.

But you know, one less thing and all.

I dunno... I was always kinda underwhelmed w/ Jerome.
Good, steady, but not great.

But then again - felt the same way about Perrantes, and all that freaking guy did was win a ton of games too.

Is there a place in the NBA today for the savvy, "old-man game" PG?
Regardless, he's smart to strike while the iron is hot.
Just like with Ennis, he's not going to get bigger or all that more athletic in another year in college, and it would just showcase whatever holes there are in his game.

Can we start a GoFundMe to send Kyle Guy to the NBA Draft too? ;)

I would tend to agree that his stock probably won’t get any higher. I do think he’ll prove to be a solid NBA player though. A lot of those same criticisms were mentioned about Malcolm Brogdon when he was coming out of Virginia on top of him also dealing with foot injuries. I don’t think Jerome is quite as athletic as Brogdon and he’s not the defender Brogdon was, but he’s a smart defender, crafty offensive player, and even if he needs more time to get his shot off than the average player, he’s a much much better shooter than a guy like Ennis was for example.

I’m hoping he falls to the Bucks first round pick personally. Would love to add him to our stable of guards.

Looks like UVA might land two senior transfers from MU which means they MAY have a 1-yr down swing before jumping right back up.

Well this is good news.

Of course it probably just clears the way for their next under the radar guy to blow up.

But you know, one less thing and all.
I understand UVa is redshirting guys this year--perhaps as many as 3. And they have made that tactic work for them in the past.

That’d be a great pickup by UVA. It’s kind of odd two good players are leaving a team that could be ranked pretty high next year

Yesterday, Virginia received a commitment from Justin McKoy, a 6'7"/6'8", 225 lbs wing in the 2019 class. For the moment, there is only one grant remaining for the upcoming year That may change after the staff meets with players individually in the coming days. Bennett has stated that he never asks a player to leave, but he also never begs a player to stay, either. Hopefully, no one leaves, but you never know. Additionally, you have to believe that that last grant will be used for a ballhandler. Back court depth is probably the current recruiting priority. Unless the Hausers are willing to wait (and recruitments this time of year seem to move really quickly), it seems a bit of a long shot that they land in Charlottesville.

I get the sentiment, but this wasn't a recruiting miss. This was Bennett identifying a player early who wasn't getting big time offers and probably should've been. He closed the deal pretty quickly (at the time, Virginia was BY FAR the best school to offer him).

This was simply a massive win by Bennett / the UVA staff.
Yep, exactly. Bennett got a little lucky - the first two times he saw Jerome play, he was actually there to watch someone else. After the first time he saw Jerome play, Bennett said he was impressed, but then forgot about him. The second time Bennett saw him again a year later, it was also by accident, but Bennett again was very impressed and began to really go after Jerome. Give Bennett credit - he saw something early on that other coaches didn't. Kudos to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom