Tyler Ennis Updates | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis Updates

• Four potential first round picks made their way to Sacramento for two pre-draft workouts on Monday. The Kings took a look at Marcus Smart (guard, Oklahoma State), Noah Vonleh (forward, Indiana), Tyler Ennis (guard, Syracuse) and Elfrid Payton (guard, Lousiana-Lafayette) as well as Eric Moreland (forward/center, Oregon State), John Bohannon (center, UTEP), Stephen Holt (guard, St. Mary’s) and local product Brendan Lane (forward/center, Pepperdine). Vonleh, Smart, Moreland and Payton participated in the first workout while Bohannon, Holt, Lane and Ennis took part in the second. Below are a few notes and quotes from Vonleh, Smart, Ennis and Kings assistant general manager Mike Bratz, who addressed the media following both workouts. -

• Bratz says the Kings wanted Smart to match-up specifically with Payton and not Ennis in Monday’s workout. - See more at:

• Ennis came into Monday’s workout hoping to show that he’s capable of knocking down the NBA three-pointer. There have also been questions about whether his athleticism is up to snuff at the NBA level, especially when it comes to defense. The 19-year-old guard also wanted to demonstrate to the Kings that he’s a capable one-on-one defender considering the Orangemen’s reputation as a zone-defense team. “Coming from Syracuse, a lot of people question whether you could defend,” Ennis said. “So I tried to go out there and show that I could defend.”
  • Ennis believes his greatest strength is that he’s faciltator and passer first. He thinks that focusing on playing his game will help him stand out from the rest of the other point guards in this year’s draft. “I think (I’m) probably the most true point guard of the group,” Ennis said. “I think I’m able to run a team. I think I’m able to score with the best of them in this class as far as point guards. So I’m just gonna go out there and play my game and whether they draft me higher than anybody else, I’m just worried about getting on the right team and the right fit.”
  • Ennis on not getting to compete against Smart or Payton: “As a competitor, you want to go out there and compete regardless of who it is. To be in the same gym as these guys, working out for the Kings is an honor, but you want to be able to show your skills against them. I think the next workout in L.A., we’ll be able to play against each other a little bit more. But I’m just going out there and trying to play, prove myself who I’m against.”
  • What’s next for each prospect that came through Sacramento on Monday? Smart, Ennis and Vonleh are apparently heading to Los Angeles for a workout with the Lakers on Wednesday. Smart has a second workout scheduled with the Orlando Magic and will make a visit to Boston as well. Ennis will also be heading down to Orlando and has workouts scheduled with Atlanta, Charlotte and Denver. The former Syracuse point guard has already worked out for the Toronto Raptors.
- See more at: http://cowbellkingdom.com/2014/06/0...ennis-and-elfrid-payton/#sthash.SPB5hbKZ.dpuf

Melancer46 said:
Pretty interesting that they wanted Smart specifically matched up on Payton. I wonder why that was the case. Apparently somebody that was at the workouts were saying Payton more than held his own against Smart or something like that.

Payton has been getting some incredible hype lately. He's probably going to go ahead of Ennis at this point. Wouldn't be shocked if Napier is close to him as well. Ennis could legitimately drop to the 5th pg taken in the draft.

20. Toronto Raptors: Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse. Two general managers told FOX Sports 1 that a team would reach too high for the young point guard. With Kyle Lowry possibly leaving as a free agent, the unflappable Ennis -- the best game manager in this draft -- would make sense. In his one season at Syracuse, Ennis played with the maturity of a senior (see: 3.2 assist-to-turnover ratio.)
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/...it-hard-to-go-wrong-in-this-year-talent-grab/

"Smart and Ennis were pitted against each another in the morning session.

"I think that's definitely a way to show competitiveness," Ennis said. "Going against other point guards and Marcus being one of the top point guards coming out of college, to be able to go against him in this workout setting is a great opportunity for anybody."

Smart agreed.

"You might as well get used to playing against guys that are higher ranked, lower ranked or just at your level right now," added Smart, who is ranked above Ennis on most draft boards. "My mindset was whoever they put in front of me, I'm going to go out there and I'm going to compete every day. Tyler is a great point guard, so it was a fun matchup for me and him. We competed and left it all on the court."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/39914/lakers-put-prospects-through-paces

ennis_workout.jpg

"Raptors Best Draft Pick Prospects From The Workouts So Far | Pro Bball Report

The best player to walk into the gym so far has been Syracuse point guard Tyler Ennis and while Raptors President and General Manager, Basketball Operations Masai Ujiri has seen Ennis play several times and heaped praise on the young Canadian, he acknowledged they do not expect Ennis to be available when they draft at 20 in the first round. Ujiri also indicated he likes the shooting guards in the first round, however Canadian Nik Stauskas still hasn’t made an appearance in Toronto and he isn’t expected to be available when the Raptors get to pick either. So unless Ujiri can make a deal, and everyone believes they are working hard to get something done to move up despite the team’s strongly worded cautions to the contrary, Toronto will not be drafting a Canadian in the first round. Trading up in any draft is hard to do."
http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2014/06/07/morning-coffee-sat-jun-7/

44338.jpg

"Associated Press
22. Memphis Grizzlies
Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse

The Grizzlies really need to find some help to back up Mike Conley, and with Ennis still on the board it was a no brainer to take him. Ennis is as good a leader as you will find in the college game. He can run a team with poise and confidence and is always looking to get his teammates involved. Ennis isn't afraid of the big moment and is more than willing to take and make big shots.

Ennis can also be paired with Conley in spurts because he has enough length to guard some smaller two's while creating matchup problems on the offensive end. Even though he isn't the quickest guard in the draft, Ennis should be able to get to where he needs to on the floor because of his strength and body control to get himself easy shots in the paint and create space for players like Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph to flourish.

— Jay Yeomans"

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/2552...-2014-NBA-Draft-Who-will-the-Jazz-select.html