Class of 2015 - F Tyler Lydon (NY) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 F Tyler Lydon (NY) Verballed to Syracuse

I mean, that dunk was too good not to write about: http://.com/creative-dunks-tyler-lydons-got-you-covered/

Louisville commit Donovan Mitchell did it a few days ago. Assuming that's what he was going for

With Chris declaring it really gives Lydon a chance at legit regular minutes this year. We know that TylerR and MikeG will eat up loads of forward minutes but after that you are looking at Lydon and Diange as the backups. I think Diange is going to be the backup center more than a forward and Tyler offers shooting which will really help when MikeG is out or playing in the backcourt since TylerR is not really a small forward. If Lydon can hold his own on the boards from the get go I think he will be in the rotation.

I expect good things from Tyler Lydon right out of the gate and I think he has a type of game where he can contribute in a variety of ways which usually bodes well for freshman.

With Chris declaring it really gives Lydon a chance at legit regular minutes this year. We know that TylerR and MikeG will eat up loads of forward minutes but after that you are looking at Lydon and Diange as the backups. I think Diange is going to be the backup center more than a forward and Tyler offers shooting which will really help when MikeG is out or playing in the backcourt since TylerR is not really a small forward. If Lydon can hold his own on the boards from the get go I think he will be in the rotation.

I expect good things from Tyler Lydon right out of the gate and I think he has a type of game where he can contribute in a variety of ways which usually bodes well for freshman.
Agree. Should be a textbook example of why a kid leaves his small town to go to prep school to learn to play with the big boys.

Agree. Should be a textbook example of why a kid leaves his small town to go to prep school to learn to play with the big boys.

That's a good point about prep and I think his time with the USA under 18 squad told a lot about what he is capable of. He played the most minutes on that team because he was able to fill multiple roles depending on the lineup. In other words the coaches found him very useful and coach-able. I've said before that I expect him to be a lot like CJ was as a freshman when he gets his opportunities. CJ was a contributing player right out of the gate because he did things he knew he could do and what the coaching staff wanted him to do.

jordoo: I agree with everything you wrote above but what could hold Lydon back, especially in conference play, is his extremely slight build. He will be pushed around inside in the ACC. He needs to put on 25 pounds.

jordoo: I agree with everything you wrote above but what could hold Lydon back, especially in conference play, is his extremely slight build. He will be pushed around inside in the ACC. He needs to put on 25 pounds.

Agreed which is why I mentioned, if he can hold his own on the glass. Certainly he needs to add strength to that frame though.

Tyler has added muscle as noted in the Jordan Classic game. Also Tyler is a unique player and offers something no one on the roster currently can in the fact that he is a stretch 4. That alone will get him some minutes.

He definitely still needs to add some weight, but remember, going back to Team USA: he led that team in rebounding.

Very good point, Jekelish. I think a lot of posters are expecting some charmin soft tweener forward who wants to play 3 because he shies away from contact and likes to float on the perimeter instead of battling inside. That couldn't be further than the truth.

While Lydon CLEARLY needs to add size / strength [and he's already gained 15 pounds of "good" weight during his year at prep school], he is a VERY GOOD rebounder and shot blocker, and an agressive dunker. This kid might actually end up being a stretch 4 for us, but unlike many stretch 4's who have no post game, Lydon actually has one. He just also happens to be a very good jump shooter and a guy who excels putting the ball on the floor.

It might not all fully come together for Lydon in his freshman year, but I have a feeling that people are going to be very surprised when they see how good this kid is. I could definitely see him being the type of kid who leads us in scoring / rebounding for two years of his career, as an all-conference type.

Very good point, Jekelish. I think a lot of posters are expecting some charmin soft tweener forward who wants to play 3 because he shies away from contact and likes to float on the perimeter instead of battling inside. That couldn't be further than the truth.

While Lydon CLEARLY needs to add size / strength [and he's already gained 15 pounds of "good" weight during his year at prep school], he is a VERY GOOD rebounder and shot blocker, and an agressive dunker. This kid might actually end up being a stretch 4 for us, but unlike many stretch 4's who have no post game, Lydon actually has one. He just also happens to be a very good jump shooter and a guy who excels putting the ball on the floor.

It might not all fully come together for Lydon in his freshman year, but I have a feeling that people are going to be very surprised when they see how good this kid is. I could definitely see him being the type of kid who leads us in scoring / rebounding for two years of his career, as an all-conference type.

I agree. Has the potential to be the best player in this year's class for us, but also has bust potential if he can't be a force inside. May not be the best as a freshman, but if he can put on a bit more weight, he could be like our version of Sam Dekker. I'm really excited to see what this kid has to bring to the table.

And when I talked to him a couple months ago, it's pretty clear he's annoyed by the perception of him as a weak/soft player. He's very proud of his ability to get inside and scrap.
Coming in with a chip on his shoulder mindset could definitely help. I'm personally pulling for the kid to be the type of multi-dimensional player we need.

And when I talked to him a couple months ago, it's pretty clear he's annoyed by the perception of him as a weak/soft player. He's very proud of his ability to get inside and scrap.
Coming in with a chip on his shoulder mindset could definitely help. I'm personally pulling for the kid to be the type of multi-dimensional player we need.
Here here. Great post jek. Scowl to start your career, young man!

I agree. Has the potential to be the best player in this year's class for us, but also has bust potential if he can't be a force inside. May not be the best as a freshman, but if he can put on a bit more weight, he could be like our version of Sam Dekker. I'm really excited to see what this kid has to bring to the table.

Barring injury, I don't see any "bust potential" in Lydon -- at all. Keep in mind that even though he was a year younger than all of these guys, he played on that Under 18 Team USA squad that featured blue chippers like Tyus Jones, Justice Winslow, and Stanley Johnson [among others], superstar recruits who were older and had already completed high school.

Lydon led that team in rebounds and minutes played, even though the three players above are all projected as lottery picks. Think about that for a second.

Like we've both stated, I expect the usual freshman growing pains as he gets his feet wet, but this kid is going to be terrific for us.

Barring injury, I don't see any "bust potential" in Lydon -- at all. Keep in mind that even though he was a year younger than all of these guys, he played on that Under 18 Team USA squad that featured Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones, and Karl Towns [among others], all superstar recruits who were older and had already completed high school.

Lydon led that team in rebounds and minutes played. Think about that for a second.

Like we've both stated, I expect the usual freshman growing pains as he gets his feet wet, but this kid is going to be terrific for us.

I agree 100%. I think "Rotten" is going to be a stud. He still looks very thin to me but he's starting to fill out, as others have mentioned. He looks like a tremendous athlete; I hope his rebounding will be bolstered by his leaping ability and aggression.

I agree 100%. I think "Rotten" is going to be a stud. He still looks very thin to me but he's starting to fill out, as others have mentioned. He looks like a tremendous athlete; I hope his rebounding will be bolstered by his leaping ability and aggression.
You mention his athleticism - honestly, I'm not sure people understand just how athletic he is. I think that he might very well be the most athletic player on the team this year. I'm honestly not sure who else is a real challenger to that title. He's a freakish athlete.

You mention his athleticism - honestly, I'm not sure people understand just how athletic he is. I think that he might very well be the most athletic player on the team this year. I'm honestly not sure who else is a real challenger to that title. He's a freakish athlete.

We don't have a very athletic roster, unfortunately, so I agree with you: Lydon is our best athlete. I guess G would be next in line?:noidea: