Tyler Lydon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Lydon

He's our center.

If he is our Center - we will lose 15 games.

He was completely killed inside today. He didnt box out and he didnt rebound.

We need a Center and Lydon to be our 3/4 along with Roberson and Malachai and Cooney/Gbinije as our guards.

We need a Center and Lydon to be our 3/4 along with Roberson and Malachai and Cooney/Gbinije as our guards.
I'm a lot more confident in Lydon being a respectable center than Chino or Coleman.

I thought Lydon went to center mainly because we had to extend. Coleman was very strong on the boards. He was in position to grab like 5 offensive boards at the end of the game. Lydon just covers ground so well at this point.

Coleman was credited with 3 rebounds this game.

I'm a lot more confident in Lydon being a respectable center than Chino or Coleman.

And unfortunately, I dont necessarily disagree with that statement.

Although I think Coleman will start to get better as the season goes on. He was just on the bench for most of the game. He was an animal at the end of the game.

It's hard to say whose game he reminds me of since he is only 6'8". I just feel he has so many tools, like a Leo Rautins, but Leo was a totally different player.

He's looking like a Tom Gugliotta player. This is a lot like what Mark Konecny looked like, in the little bit of time he was here. I'll bet Jason Cipolla probably played a lot like this before he hurt his knees (before he got to Syracuse).

This day and age effective inside games are bonus. Now the rebounding part, yes that's important.

This is where we will really miss Diagne (however you spell his name). He was a work horse Rick Jackson kind of player and could finish inside with either hand.

It's hard to say whose game he reminds me of since he is only 6'8". I just feel he has so many tools, like a Leo Rautins, but Leo was a totally different player.
Some weeks ago someone I know posted that Tyler Lydon's HS game looked like a cross between Leo Rautins and Louie Orr.
But Tyler's ability in the middle may give him an extra dimension.
He's a potential big timer.

(And who knows if he's even stopped growing :)

Col. Bleep said:
Some weeks ago someone I know posted that Tyler Lydon's HS game looked like a cross between Leo Rautins and Louie Orr. But Tyler's ability in the middle may give him an extra dimension. He's a potential big timer. (And who knows if he's even stopped growing :)

I'm going with poor man's Christian Laetner right now, but with a bigger upside athletically.

I should dig up the thread where everyone was flipping out because Lydon was going to be getting minutes at the five.

Identical board reaction to Dungey bring listed in the two - deep.

This just in: coaches watch kids in practice every day. We don't.

I should dig up the thread where everyone was flipping out because Lydon was going to be getting minutes at the five.

I love Lydon and am very bullish on his future. But I wouldn't want to have to rely on him for very long playing the 5 against the better teams on our schedule. Here and there it would be ok but prolonged minutes and he would get overpowered by the better personnel.

We're only seeing Tyler at center because of our issues there this year. Looking forward to seeing his length and savvy at the forward spot after time in the weight room when he can't be pushed around. What a nice stroke he has. He has very good rebounding instincts getting a hand on the ball but lacks the balance and strength to haul all of them in.

bpo57 said:
I love Lydon and am very bullish on his future. But I wouldn't want to have to rely on him for very long playing the 5 against the better teams on our schedule. Here and there it would be ok but prolonged minutes and he would get overpowered by the better personnel.

I don't disagree, but the point is that the coaches believe he can play the position at a level that warrants minutes when compared to his competition.

Same with Dungey - I'm not convinced he is physically ready to play QB at this level yet. Both decisions made the heads explode of about 70% of the posters on this board.

I've been on board with Lydon at the 5 since day one. Everyone thought I was crazy. Apparently JB agrees with me.

My favorite thing about him is, he called for the ball 2 times that I remember when it was crunch time. I yelled out how much I liked that while he was doing it. And that wasn't even his turn around 3 he dropped. That's a winner everyday all day in my eyes.

Lydon is going to have to play some 5 because there are no other personnel who can do it adequately. The question is whether Lydon can do it adequately against the better, bigger teams due to his physical stature. He's got a good frame, but he isn't anywhere close to what he'll be in two years in terms of size / strength.

The 5 has some physical responsibilities in how we play our structured team defensive concept that Lydon isn't suited for TODAY, at this stage of his developmental curve. I think most posters don't understand what our pivots are asked to do in the zone, beyond shot-blocking on help defense.

I don't disagree, but the point is that the coaches believe he can play the position at a level that warrants minutes when compared to his competition.

Same with Dungey - I'm not convinced he is physically ready to play QB at this level yet. Both decisions made the heads explode of about 70% of the posters on this board.
why are you doing this? a guy playing QB as a true frosh against P5 football teams versus a guy playing some center against cupcakes is two completely different things. what is your point? that anyone questioning lydon as a center is now wrong? cmon I think he is a potentially great player but acc teams will kill us inside with lydon as a center.

Fair enough.

If Coleman could round into some sort of form where he could give quality minutes while eating some glass then that would help a lot. There is going to be this constant tug of war all year long for JB of wanting to have four solid shooters on the floor (TC, G, MR and Lydon) but knowing that that lineup will get lit up on the defensive interior and mauled by most solid rebounding squads.

bpo57 said:
Fair enough. If Coleman could round into some sort of form where he could give quality minutes while eating some glass then that would help a lot. There is going to be this constant tug of war all year long for JB of wanting to have four solid shooters on the floor (TC, G, MR and Lydon) but knowing that that lineup will get lit up on the defensive interior and mauled by most solid rebounding squads.

That is exactly the issue. Coaches watch practice and determined that Chino and DC don't contribute enough for them to NOT play Lydon at the five.

Given their druthers, Lydon is a 3-4..

orangehomer said:
why are you doing this? a guy playing QB as a true frosh against P5 football teams versus a guy playing some center against cupcakes is two completely different things. what is your point? that anyone questioning lydon as a center is now wrong? cmon I think he is a potentially great player but acc teams will kill us inside with lydon as a center.

My general point: coaches are generally smarter than you when it comes to who should play. Smarter than all of us.

In-game decisions...that's another story. Fair game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom