Tyler Lydon | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Lydon

If he is our Center - we will lose 15 games.

He was completely killed inside today. He didnt box out and he didnt rebound.

We need a Center and Lydon to be our 3/4 along with Roberson and Malachai and Cooney/Gbinije as our guards.

In a perfect world. But he's stronger than he looks and he could get us into the NCAAs with his game.

why are you doing this? a guy playing QB as a true frosh against P5 football teams versus a guy playing some center against cupcakes is two completely different things. what is your point? that anyone questioning lydon as a center is now wrong? cmon I think he is a potentially great player but acc teams will kill us inside with lydon as a center.

The more interesting question will be not if we can beat Duke or UNC but will TL be enough to get us enough wins to make the NCAA tournament. I think that's the goal this season.

I thought Boeheim coached a great game. He made adjustments at half time. Went straight to Coleman in the first play of the second half to try to get him going and most importantly got players to start slashing to the basket instead of sitting on the perimeter and jacking up threes. Malachi started putting the ball on the floor and using his length and dribble drive skills, as did Cooney. Bonnies were much quicker, especially at the center position. Bad match ups for Coleman so went with Lydon and he responded with a great second half.

I'm firmly on record with regard to MR's disinterest in rebounding and defense so I'm not looking to restart that argument. That said, if the staff can get him to focus on defense and rebounding then it might make the overall task a little easier. To me it would make more sense to switch G and MR in the zone or put Joseph in as G is a pretty good rebounder, particularly for his size.

Everyone on the team has to rebound better. It seems like we go through this conversation every year. After a few games our rebounding improves.

People here need to remember not to freak out when Lydon shows up in a Chad Ford mock 1st round in a couple of months.

I can't make any promises in that regard.

Dave you make it sound like its time to start drinking we have a game today :p
3 more days to Elon my friend.

Dave you make it sound like its time to start drinking we have a game today :p
3 more days to Elon my friend.

You stopped drinking from last night! Why didn't you tell me!

The big question for the Elon game is do we see the first half team or the second half team play from the get-go.

I don't think Lydon's ideal position is the 3. On defense, of course, the 3 and 4 are interchangable, but on offense, Lydon is far, far more valuable as a 4 or even a 5. In today's world, there are really 3 positions on offense, Bigs, Wings, and Point Guards. If Lydon is a PF (big), he can force other rim-protecting bigs to leave the paint and cover him at the 3 point arc where he can drive by them or pass into the middle where there's one less rim protector. As a SF (wing) his strengths would be offensive rebounding and bullying his smaller man in the post. Given his current skill set (and the makeup of the team), I want the former advantages not the latter.

Tl;dr Lydon is more valuable as a stretch 4 than as an oversize 3.

Also, Lydon's not 6'8. He was 6'8.75 without shoes last year. In shoes (which is how everyone compares heights) he's probably closer to 6'10. Also, he's got a 7 foot wingspan which makes him even taller.

I don't think I'm overselling it at all when I say he might be the best free throw shooter on the team. I think he'll be in 85% territory by the end of his career.

I'd be surprised if he improves like that over his college career, but he's got to be the best we've had. I can't get enough of watching that form - he's like a one-man instructional video.

I don't think Richardson can play the top of the zone. His lateral quickness is insufficient, to say that least, from what I've seen so far.
That may very well be the case although at least he has length. Pick your poison cuz if he doesn't rebound then that is intolerable.

For what it's worth, here's the conclusion I've drawn (and I'm a big proponent of Richardson getting more time at the 2):

With our defensive weakness at center, Boeheim wants the two big-bodied seniors playing the top of the zone. Perimeter defense is an absolute necessity, because we probably don't have a center who'll defend the interior even adequately. So it'd be nice to give Richardson some minutes up top, but we can't create another weakness in an already shaky defense.

For what it's worth, here's the conclusion I've drawn (and I'm a big proponent of Richardson getting more time at the 2):

With our defensive weakness at center, Boeheim wants the two big-bodied seniors playing the top of the zone. Perimeter defense is an absolute necessity, because we probably don't have a center who'll defend the interior even adequately. So it'd be nice to give Richardson some minutes up top, but we can't create another weakness in an already shaky defense.
I think this is it. JB is banking on minimal penetration from the top of the zone, with those two cheating down as much as possible

Pg: Tyus Battle
Sg: Malachi Richardson
Sf: Tyler Lydon
Pf: Tyler Roberson
C: Paschel Chukwu

=

You're messed.
You can also plug in FH for Richardson and wouldn't miss a beat on defense. That D would be a joy to see. But I'm not banking on Lydon or Richardson being around just yet. Been F-d over by the NBA draft too many times now to think otherwise.

Is anybody ready to start Lydon at PF over Roberson? Obviously this is a way early hot take but I really like the potential of a G-Cooney-Richardson-Lydon-Coleman lineup. That allows for Kaleb off the bench at pg/sg, Roberson off the bench at forward and Chino as backup center unless we go small with Roberson at the 4 and Lydon at the 5.

G, Richardson and Lydon are our most talented players. Call me crazy but I want to start our best players. Dion was a sixth man exception to the rule.

Last edited:
I don't think Lydon's ideal position is the 3. On defense, of course, the 3 and 4 are interchangable, but on offense, Lydon is far, far more valuable as a 4 or even a 5. In today's world, there are really 3 positions on offense, Bigs, Wings, and Point Guards. If Lydon is a PF (big), he can force other rim-protecting bigs to leave the paint and cover him at the 3 point arc where he can drive by them or pass into the middle where there's one less rim protector. As a SF (wing) his strengths would be offensive rebounding and bullying his smaller man in the post. Given his current skill set (and the makeup of the team), I want the former advantages not the latter.

Tl;dr Lydon is more valuable as a stretch 4 than as an oversize 3.

Also, Lydon's not 6'8. He was 6'8.75 without shoes last year. In shoes (which is how everyone compares heights) he's probably closer to 6'10. Also, he's got a 7 foot wingspan which makes him even taller.
Lydon's NBA future is as a PF so I'd assume he and NBA scouts would absolutely agree with this.

I'd be surprised if he improves like that over his college career, but he's got to be the best we've had. I can't get enough of watching that form - he's like a one-man instructional video.

The thing is, I don't think it will require much improvement. He looks like a 75-80% FT shooter right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom