Typical after lost board. | Syracusefan.com

Typical after lost board.

SBU72

All Conference
We all know that this team is NOT the powerhouse a lot of fans were expecting. (how many times did you hear last year, that "we'll be even better next year!") We know they are offensively challenged in the half court. Sure there were games where SU did not play particular well and managed to win, but generlly we know that they have to play a solid game to win. YET after a lost (on the road to an arch rival no less), the cry's "JB must go!" or "JB got out coached" or "why oh why is so-in-so playing so much" can be heard from the top of the page to the bottom. The 'haters' come out and spew their jargon. Yad, yad, yad. Look, this team is probably not going to win out. (They were predicted to finish 2nd by the way.) 4 of the next 6 games are against tough, ranked opponents. 2 of those games are on the road. (3 all together) If SU defends its home court, they should be in good shape for both the BET and the NCAA. Yeah, 'weep' for the lose but lets not go overboard. Point out the where you think it went wrong and be done with it. The players have to do, so should the fans.

We all know that this team is NOT the powerhouse a lot of fans were expecting. (how many times did you hear last year, that "we'll be even better next year!") We know they are offensively challenged in the half court. Sure there were games where SU did not play particular well and managed to win, but generlly we know that they have to play a solid game to win. YET after a lost (on the road to an arch rival no less), the cry's "JB must go!" or "JB got out coached" or "why oh why is so-in-so playing so much" can be heard from the top of the page to the bottom. The 'haters' come out and spew their jargon. Yad, yad, yad. Look, this team is probably not going to win out. (They were predicted to finish 2nd by the way.) 4 of the next 6 games are against tough, ranked opponents. 2 of those games are on the road. (3 all together) If SU defends its home court, they should be in good shape for both the BET and the NCAA. Yeah, 'weep' for the lose but lets not go overboard. Point out the where you think it went wrong and be done with it. The players have to do, so should the fans.
Nice try.

But you don't really think that's going to keep the self-proclaimed experts and drama queens on here from doing what they do?

For these people, the opportunity to voice self-inflating criticism is one of principle reasons they are here.

I have taken the Louisville of last year approach with this team. I remember sitting in the dome after toying with that team in the last game of the season. Then they hit their stride in the BET and the NCAA's once they got out of the BE.

they played lazy last night.

dont think they thought storz would be up for it and kept thinking theyd go away.

whoops.

its the annual feb swoon.

not concerned at all.

:cool:

now wheres that idiot who tells me i cant talk smack on a message board.....

Oh Lord

JB was outcoached. It's a fact. Not sure why so many people here have trouble admitting it. If you know an ounce about basketball, you too would know this. Saying your HOF coach was outcoached in a game, does not mean you want him gone, he's a bad coach, he sucks. They can be mutually exclusive, believe it or not.

JB was outcoached. It's a fact. Not sure why so many people here have trouble admitting it. If you know an ounce about basketball, you too would know this. Saying your HOF coach was outcoached in a game, does not mean you want him gone, he's a bad coach, he sucks. They can be mutually exclusive, believe it or not.
Please explain exactly how he was outcoached? Proclaiming it doesn't make it true.
If you have big men that do very little productive work, can't put back shots, leave men open several times back door, etc., how is that being outcoached?
If one of your starting guards has a bad game, how is that being outcoached?
If your wings don't get back on the 3pt shooters, how is that being outcoached?
We were outplayed last night, we weren't outcoached.

By no means is this a sky is falling or over reaction to a loss post. I have watched every game!

We have tremendous athletes (truly great), as gifted athletically as any group we have had maybe ever. BUT, they are only good basketball players (as a group). AND, they play just ok together as a team.

2012-13: I thought it was looking like one of those special teams early in the season when we were beating less skilled teams by 20, MCW was averaging 11 assists per game, we were out-rebounding teams by a minimum of 10 a game and we were top 5 in the country in blocks/steals, etc. Then the Big East started.

We are just not an elite team yet. Grant, Fair, Southerland, Xmas and Keita are not enough to make a deep run. Guards dictate success in the NCAA Tournament and apparently Triche missed the memo and the inconsistent (but great) MCW is not the answer yet. Absolutely can play with anyone and beat anyone, but the inconsistency of our play will bite us.

We are blessed to have a HOF coach who aside from X’s/O’s proficiency, he is a master psychologist. I am not sure if that is enough this year to get the results we all want.

Wake up TRICHE!

A) You don't know an ounce of basketball. You are a self proclaimed 22 year old kid.

B) Their players out performed our plays. They did not attack the zone in some new profound manner, Kevin Ollie did not invent anything new last night. They overloaded one side of the zone same as every other BE team. Their guards outplayed our guards and we lost...its basketball.

No matter what you want to claim, whether JB was outcoached or not, is merely opinion and subject to debate. Maybe he was outcoached, but since you apparently have more than an ounce of knowledge about basketball, unlike so many, please enlightened us with the actual facts, specifically, to support your argument that, factually speaking, he was outcoached. Maybe, his players were just outplayed & outexecuted...now that is a fact that likely would warrant summary judgement.

A) You don't know an ounce of basketball. You are a self proclaimed 22 year old kid.

B) Their players out performed our plays. They did not attack the zone in some new profound manner, Kevin Ollie did not invent anything new last night. They overloaded one side of the zone same as every other BE team. Their guards outplayed our guards and we lost...its basketball.

Gold.

Agreed...but our defense didn't lose that game for us.

Our offense against m2m needs an over haul. I can't remember the last time I've seen a back screen for a player without the ball. Everything is designed for picking on the ball and dribble drives. Very predictable.

No matter what you want to claim, whether JB was outcoached or not, is merely opinion and subject to debate. Maybe he was outcoached, but since you apparently have more than an ounce of knowledge about basketball, unlike so many, please enlightened us with the actual facts, specifically, to support your argument that, factually speaking, he was outcoached. Maybe, his players were just outplayed & outexecuted...now that is a fact that likely would warrant summary judgement.

No argument here about being outplayed. Winning games, ultimately, comes down to player execution. Coach can draw up the best play in the history of basketball but if your guard fumbles the ball out of bounds it doesn't matter.

When we win, JB gets credit for adjustments/drawn up plays down the stretch, but when we lose, don't you dare say JB didn't have one of his better in-game coaching moments, it's all on the players. Just my 2 cents.

Again- Tyler Olander and Neils Giffey down low. That is all. Hopefully when Coleman comes back he can give us some offensive production. It's a necessity for a run in march.

Our offense against m2m needs an over haul. I can't remember the last time I've seen a back screen for a player without the ball. Everything is designed for picking on the ball and dribble drives. Very predictable.

We ran the "Shuffle" set last night several times. I don't know if we have run that set since Flynn was here. Nice to see that wrinkle as it actually produced a few opportunities.

That said, I think you're correct about the team's half-court offense--it needs work. I don't think it needs to be completely overhauled, though. Rather, the players need to be more patient. They need to move more without the ball, and they need to reverse the ball more rather than shooting contested jumpers after one pass.

One addition I would like to see in our offense is a Bill Self-styled high-low motion set to isolate Rak in the paint. Coach Self designed his high-low to help bigs who aren't great post players be more effective. With his athleticism, Rak would probably thrive in this type of set, and it would provide more movement off the ball for our shooters. Another great aspect is that its design also opens up driving space, forcing help defenders to choose whether to help the on the post, the cutters, or to help stop the dribble-drive.

Our sets aren't the problem and we ran back screens for both Brandon and James, the issue is neither one of those players are great coming off of a down screen when Andy was here we ran a ton of them. The issue with our offense last night was our guards getting out played on that end of the court as well. MCW didn't get into the lane and make plays for others, Brandon who muscled the hell out of Louisville's guards did not use his strength last night. They didn't feed CJ enough although Uconn did a very good job staying on his left hand. James is getting killed for taking that 30fter but he was 3-4 from 3 going into that shot and I like that fact that he had the heart to take it. At the end of the day our offense is based on the decision making of our guards. Would I have liked more plays down low absolutely! But when you take 20 more field goal attempts than your opponent and you make only 2 more baskets than your opponent that is on the players more than the coaching IMO. I will say this I would like to see James in the post! He is long with a nice touch around the rim, and while the kid guarding him stepped out deep to cover him I would have loved to see how that guy dealt with James in the post because it looked to me that James had him by 2" and 30lbs. CJ and James need to lead the team in shot attempts going forward. Offensively those 2 guys are our biggest advantage.

We ran the "Shuffle" set last night several times. I don't know if we have run that set since Flynn was here. Nice to see that wrinkle as it actually produced a few opportunities.

That said, I think you're correct about the team's half-court offense--it needs work. I don't think it needs to be completely overhauled, though. Rather, the players need to be more patient. They need to move more without the ball, and they need to reverse the ball more rather than shooting contested jumpers after one pass.

One addition I would like to see in our offense is a Bill Self-styled high-low motion set to isolate Rak in the paint. Coach Self designed his high-low to help bigs who aren't great post players be more effective. With his athleticism, Rak would probably thrive in this type of set, and it would provide more movement off the ball for our shooters. Another great aspect is that its design also opens up driving space, forcing help defenders to choose whether to help the on the post, the cutters, or to help stop the dribble-drive.

I would like that play ran with James because he is being defended by a SF usually. We ran that play against Arkansas but we didn't feed the post James popped on the drive for three but the post was there and the guy on him was 6-5 tops. We can't let team guard with a guy that small and not make them pay for it.

We're no different than any other fan base; people will dig through others' boards for a laugh when we win and cry like babies when we lose. Logical reasoning does not work on these people.

Our sets aren't the problem and we ran back screens for both Brandon and James, the issue is neither one of those players are great coming off of a down screen when Andy was here we ran a ton of them. The issue with our offense last night was our guards getting out played on that end of the court as well. MCW didn't get into the lane and make plays for others, Brandon who muscled the hell out of Louisville's guards did not use his strength last night. They didn't feed CJ enough although Uconn did a very good job staying on his left hand. James is getting killed for taking that 30fter but he was 3-4 from 3 going into that shot and I like that fact that he had the heart to take it. At the end of the day our offense is based on the decision making of our guards. Would I have liked more plays down low absolutely! But when you take 20 more field goal attempts than your opponent and you make only 2 more baskets than your opponent that is on the players more than the coaching IMO. I will say this I would like to see James in the post! He is long with a nice touch around the rim, and while the kid guarding him stepped out deep to cover him I would have loved to see how that guy dealt with James in the post because it looked to me that James had him by 2" and 30lbs. CJ and James need to lead the team in shot attempts going forward. Offensively those 2 guys are our biggest advantage.
Understood...but all of our screens are designed to get them open looks around the arc. Most of our offense is created from the outside using ball picks and dribble penetration leading to drives or pull-up jump shots.

When was the last time we scored using an off the ball back screen with the receiver of the pass below the foul line heading toward the basket?

I realize our bigs aren't offensive juggernauts but how difficult is it to throw it into them once in a while when they have position on the block? At least then you have the option of working inside-out as a change of pace. We're way too dependent on outside shooting and MCW and BT (even CJ) penetrating to create for others.

Understood...but all of our screens are designed to get them open looks around the arc. Most of our offense is created from the outside using ball picks and dribble penetration leading to drives or pull-up jump shots.

When was the last time we scored using an off the ball back screen with the receiver of the pass below the foul line heading toward the basket?

I realize our bigs aren't offensive juggernauts but how difficult is it to throw it into them once in a while when they have position on the block? At least then you have the option of working inside-out as a change of pace. We're way too dependent on outside shooting and MCW and BT (even CJ) penetrating to create for others.

Nice post. Yeah, our plays and screens are being run to get looks pretty far away from the basket. Not exactly the best recipe for success for a team of not so good shooters. I don't know what that says about our big guys.

I agree 100%! But I think that we should run that for James because teams are putting their smaller forward on him when he is on the court with CJ, run it for CJ when he is on the court with JG for the same reason. Both guys can finish around the rim and are good foul shooter plus it leaves Rak and Baye to set the screen and for offensive rebounding position.

I agree 100%! But I think that we should run that for James because teams are putting their smaller forward on him when he is on the court with CJ, run it for CJ when he is on the court with JG for the same reason. Both guys can finish around the rim and are good foul shooter plus it leaves Rak and Baye to set the screen and for offensive rebounding position.
Good points.

Funny thing is that our best 3 point shooter, JS, might also be our best "back to the basket" guy.

Again- Tyler Olander and Neils Giffey down low. That is all. Hopefully when Coleman comes back he can give us some offensive production. It's a necessity for a run in march.
Don't hold your breath. First, coming off around 4 weeks of inactivity, it'll take a while to get into game shape. (HAHAHAHA Coleman? game shape?) Then why would you expect more on his return than he gave when he left? To paraphrase JB. He'll be better by years end. Not necessarily seasons end, just by years end.

Don't hold your breath. First, coming off around 4 weeks of inactivity, it'll take a while to get into game shape. (HAHAHAHA Coleman? game shape?) Then why would you expect more on his return than he gave when he left? To paraphrase JB. He'll be better by years end. Not necessarily seasons end, just by years end.

Yeah I was LOLing when typing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom